House Batteries Don't Seem To Be Charging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proteusmd

Was having a generator hard start issue and the tech I took it to told me that it wasn't an issue with the penny but with the house batteries being low. He had charged them up and the penny started right up. Just finished our first mini trip (5 hours) and the house batteries seem low again (hard start not he penny, lights dimming when trying to start the penny, etc). I need to check it with a volt meter but I'm fairly certain they are low. Anyone have any thoughts on how to check the charging system and trouble shoot the issue? I was told by the tech that the batteries are in good condition so I doubt it's that. Any thoughts welcome and thanks in advance.

Will do. Just check the leads coming out of the converter I'm guessing? I noticed that it's an Inteli Power 9100. Is that a good brand?

Yes that's a good brand. The voltage across the output leads (you can measure right at the battery terminals) should be at least 13.0v whenever shore power is present or the genset running. Typically the voltage will be 13.6.

I would also make sure all battery terminal connections and cables are in good condition and tight. Wondering if this is one of those "weak link in the chain" scenarios in the charging system?

13.6 at the batteries. Am I correct in assuming that the house batteries start the generator?

There is a method of charging the house batteries from the alternator.  It involves the use of a solenoid or relay of some form.  If they are staying charged off the converter but not the alternator then the solenoid could be the problem.  There are several people that are more versed on the type of crossover method used on coaches.

Sounds like your converter/charger is working, so how old are the batteries? Have you checked their water levels? Either of those things could cause the problem you're experiencing.

Kev 

Water levels are fine. I have had it into house power for a few hours and the generator will now turn over fine (I'm assuming that the generator starts off of the house batteries). I don't know how old they are. Wondering how to check them to see what condition they are in. If I need to replace them (2 6 volts) any make/model that is recommended? I'm assuming that since the generator wouldn't turn over well and after plugging the rv in they now turn over fine that means that the charger is working correctly and the batteries are accepting charge (holding it is another story). Is that a good assumption?

proteusmd said:
Water levels are fine. I have had it into house power for a few hours and the generator will now turn over fine (I'm assuming that the generator starts off of the house batteries). I don't know how old they are. Wondering how to check them to see what condition they are in. If I need to replace them (2 6 volts) any make/model that is recommended? I'm assuming that since the generator wouldn't turn over well and after plugging the rv in they now turn over fine that means that the charger is working correctly and the batteries are accepting charge (holding it is another story). Is that a good assumption?

Yes the GEN starts with the house batteries, and once you get a battery load check done, you will know exactly what you do have to replace, probably the 2 batteries ! Usually house batteires will last ? 5 years since they are quite often recharged; the engine batteires will last longer since you only need them to crank the engine.

Can any auto parts store do a load test or do I need to head somewhere special?

Sweet. The next step. In the event that I need to replace them, can anyone suggest what make and size I should be looking for? I'm assuming the more Amp Hours the better. Any down side to that besides price? And what type of minimum amp hours should I be considering? We aren't really boon docking much so will be in Rv parks mostly.

I wouldn't be running out to buy batteries yet.  If the tech charged the batteries and said they were good I assume they took a full charge and hopefully he did a load test.

I would do what Gary said and check the voltage at the battery terminals with and without 120 VAC external power applied to the RV.  Without external power you should get around 12 volts and with external power you should get around 13.5 volts indicating charge voltage from the converter.  Make sure the batteries are serviced, if not maintenance free type, and remove the terminal connections and clean the posts and connections well.  From the ground post on the battery trace the RV ground wire.  Mine goes to a gang ground on the frame not to far from the batteries.  If you find that ground clean it also and apply some corrosion preventative to all the connections.

You also want to check the battery voltage after the engine has been running a while and no shorepower attached or generator running. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom