Tow/Haul button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snarg

So my truck, a 2006 F-350, has a, 'Tow/Haul', button on the end of the shiftier. Now, I'm smart enough to figure out that the button should be engaged when you are towing or hauling something. What I don't know, though, is what it is the button does.

Do I use it in town, going up hills, on a long stretch of highway or, all of the above?

What it does is changes the RPM/MPH to be a little bit higher before it shifts into the next gear.  The only time I use it is when in a hilly area and I'm just taking off. Other than that, it's always off. If I feel like the truck will be shifting up and down quite a bit, I'll engage it. Sometimes if I'm going down a long grade, I may use it to help slow me down. Mostly it depends on what size trailer you're pulling. If the truck is maxed out than you should be using it.

Thank you Rene T.

I knew about the slowing the truck, trick. I just was not sure if it should be engaged all the time or not.

It may do more than just what Rene described.  Check yourOwners Manual or download it at   

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals-search-results.html?year=2006&make=Ford&model=F-350&currentVehicle=true

Every time I pull something, I have the button pushed in my 2015 Ram 3500. It helps drastically with slowing along with the exhaust brake and it also shifts at high rpm to help keep tranny fluid cooler. Overall, better for the transmission, torque converter, and brakes.

I have the same button on my 2010 motorhome and it does give a different driving mode for sure; like mentionned, the tranny will shift at higher RPM's so you will get better acceleration merging onto an Intertsate.
Then going downhill, when deeply applying your brakes, the tranny will downshift automaticly one gear and further more by applying once more, thus saving your brakes !
BTW, I allways use the "TOW HAUL", towing a dinghy or not; it gets the mh to accelerate, not just like a "diesel pusher" !  ;)
I wish I had a diesel pusher !  :(

When I took our motorhome on the test drive, it was the first time I had driven a class A. We took it out on the interstate and did pretty good. Coming back to the dealership, I took the exit a bit too fast and our salesman jumped up and hit the tow/haul button. He said it can get you out of a jam, if needed and it did that day.

The tow haul acts similar to the "engine brakes or jacob brakes of a diesel motorhome"; it will downshift the tranny and will use the engine compression to slow you down without using your brakes; it won't stop the mh but will for sure save your brakes.

My wife's beater 2010 Venza doesn't have tow/haul of course, but if I put the gear shift in "S" and manually shift the gears, it works great for mountains. Apparently it is set up to lock the torque converter for this to be able to happen.

Brent365 said:
Every time I pull something, I have the button pushed in my 2015 Ram 3500. It helps drastically with slowing along with the exhaust brake and it also shifts at high rpm to help keep tranny fluid cooler. Overall, better for the transmission, torque converter, and brakes.

X2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom