(New RVer) Should I buy(1) 20ft sewerhose, or (2) 10 ft hoses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Contestedmilk

I saw a youtube video that said 20 ft. sewer hoses were very often too long. Does anyone with more experience (than my zero experience) want to weigh in here? I have been advised to buy a "clear flush adapter", but that is the extent of my knowledge on the subject. Any advise is appreciated. Newbie alert!

I use the Rhino hose, and have two 10ft sections permanently connected together. The Rhino concertinas for easy handling and storage.

If a 10 footer bursts, you can switch to the other.  If a 20 footer bursts, you're stuck until you can get a new one.  Then, there is cleaning.  Do you want to clean a 20 footer or a 10 footer?  You don't say what your RV is nor how you plan to use it, but if you must use 20 feet of hose, then it probably makes little difference.  However, if you are traveling and not just anchored at a campground, then I think you'll find a 10 footer will be all you need at many campgrounds and dump stations.

I also use Rhino and it's a good brand.

Buy the Rhino starter kit which consists of a length of hose and the 45* coupler which plugs into the tank you are dumping into. Also buy an extra 10 foot section of Rhino hose and the clear, see-through adapter you mentioned.

And, you may as well buy a donut which slips over the 45* coupler at the tank to prevent gas from escaping the tank you are dumping into. Some parks require he use of a donut if you are camping and it's also nice to try to prevent as much gas as possible from escaping into your neighbor's patio area.

I have a 20" Rhino(two 10' sections in a kit) and a 15' Valterra. Personally I like the Valterra better. It's made of thicker material and it doesn't spring around like a slinky. If I need 7', I pull it out to 7' and the rest stays "locked" together.

I use a 15 ft Rhino and have a 5 ft extension. I find that 10 ft is often just a wee short, but 15 works near everywhere. Once in awhile I need to add the extra 5 ft.

Get two tens.
A 20 would be a pain to store.

I have two tens and then a five for overnighters where I am right close to the sewer pipe

Jack L

JackL said:
Get two tens.
A 20 would be a pain to store.

I have two tens and then a five for overnighters where I am right close to the sewer pipe

Jack L

I also have a real short one (4') for dumping at a dump station.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I use a 15 ft Rhino and have a 5 ft extension. I find that 10 ft is often just a wee short, but 15 works near everywhere. Once in awhile I need to add the extra 5 ft.

Same here, and I often use the 5 footer by it self, when properly aligned to the sewer pipe.
p.s. for water supply, I use 25 footers; I have 3 of them.

Yep, I carry both a 10, and a 20. I don't use the 20 much, but when I need it, I really need it. I just left one place in Maine, a state park with the hook ups WAY in the back of the site. It took the 20 and the 10 to get there. And I also have a shorter hose (8') that "accordions" into a short little 2' section that works good when I use my gray sewer tote.

For those (rare) occasions when I really need it, I have a macerator pump hooked to the sewer dump valve, with a 50 foot hose.

Aye Marty, especially useful when we arrive home with partial tanks needing dumping. It's especially helpful for those campgrounds where the stuff has to be pumped uphill.

I have three 10ft sections.
Usually use just one section
Like Gary I often find 10ft is just a wee bit short, so his suggestion of 15 seems good to me.
I used all three exactly once I think, and that was in my driveway when i wasn't parked where i normally do, closer to the clean out.

I too have multiple 10 foot (And one 20) sections.. Plus a macerator with a 50 food BLACK hose.. What I use depends on the lay of the land and the distance.

Where I am now I'm using the oldest hose in the RV,, The one the Dealer put in the bay for me when I bought the thinig over 100 years ago.

How do I choose which hose to hose with?  How far from Dump valve to hole in ground.. The "Free" hose, on this site, is the EXACT length I need  all the others, even th 10 footers, wouuld be too long (This one is about 9 feet).

Back
Top Bottom