Replacing window (camper over cab) with Fiberglass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Telstar Ranger

My window shattered and it needs to obviously be replaced.  I am going to call on the glass, but I got to thinking that that window is useless for the most part.  The shell of the rig is fiberglass, so I can't imagine it being hard or expensive to just fill in the hole with fiberglass.  Anybody have experience or ideas? 

50 views and no replies :'(  Well, I am in a tight spot, limited time as I have to move in a month.  I just made a Lexan replacement window.  Hopefully it will hold up for a while.  I do not understand the need to put that window up there in the first place- maybe to prevent claustrophobia.  Anyway on to installing the new window.

Here's how I would fiberglass it. I would cut a piece of expanded metal, 1/2" x 1/16" thick ( the 1/2" is the size of the diamond) and attach it to the window opening. Then simply fiberglass it dipping the fiberglass cloth strips in the epoxy  and building up over the expanded metal to the desired height. Sand and paint. If you have the room, you can use 1/8" thick expanded metal for less flex at the beginning of process.

You could also drill many many holes in lexan and use it for fiber glass backing.

The hole needs to be filled with some sort of panel, then fiberglassed over to form a smooth surface that is blended with the existing walls at the edges. Then painted. Basically make a plywood, metal or composite panel the size of the window and them cover it with fiberglass mat (roving) and resin. Not a simple task for most people, and not inexpensive if you hire a shop.

Probably easier to fabricate a non-glass "window" panel, paint it some acceptable color and insert where the glass used to be.

I'm pressed for time, and I just went ahead and used Lexan to replace the window.  It took a few hours to cut and sand the panel down, but I did it. 

Back
Top Bottom