IE6 Enexpected Behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

It's been several years since I saw this behaviour with MS Internet Explorer.  Suddenly I was unable to access any web page, instead was receiving the error page indicating this page was unavailable. 

The last time I experienced this behaviour, I was directed to the TOOLS | INTERNET OPTIONS CONNECTIONS | SETTINGS  where the checkmark had been activated for a proxy server.  After removing the checkmark, IE behaved normally.

It isn't clear what activates the checkmark, but when IE refuses to access web pages, and produces the Page Not Available notice, check the proxy server setting.

When a proxy server gets added to IE check for a virus.  It's a common method used by malware to inject themselves into your machine.  Run your spyware checkers.

Ned,

Thanks for the tip.? I performed a full system scan using NAV 2005 and found NO viruses.? I keep NAV updated each time I am online and perform frequent scans along with Ad Aware and SpyBot.

However NAV has displayed the following alert several times in the last couple of weeks:

Details: Rule "Default Block Bla Trojan horse" blocked (63.21.99.138,1042).
Inbound UDP packet.
Local address,service is (localhost,1042).
Remote address,service is (63.21.99.138,1042).
Process name is "N/A".

Also, my dial up password suddenly became changed in the dialup settings, certainly not something I did.

Are there any other checks you can recommend?

Thanks

Run Spybot Search&Destroy and Adaware again.  NAV won't catch spyware and this is the most likely cause.  Also, try Spyware Blaster as it will sometimes pick up malware that Spybot S&D misses.  The setting of the proxy server and changing DUN settings is symptomatic of spyware.

Back
Top Bottom