EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Advice needed: Should I renew my virus protection?  (Read 1429 times)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
Advice needed: Should I renew my virus protection?
« on: July 26, 2016, 03:12:32 PM »
So I got an email from Norton that my virus protection is about to renew. They want $90 for a year. I have read that W-10 has some pretty good virus protection built in.  So what is the current thought process of the computer guys, yea or nay?
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Gord Nelson

• ---
  • Hey! This was easier when I was just 50!
Re: Advice needed: Should I renew my virus protection?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:53:09 PM »
Sarge:

This article might give some insight and the references to Symantec might surprise you.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/antivirus-software-1.3668746

Gord

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 05:05:53 PM »
We've used Norton for years and it's saved our bacon a couple of times.  We consider it essential.  It and Mailwasher for viewing our mail BEFORE bringing it into our own computers.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Gregg

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 05:46:52 PM »
From what I have read, there are a number of virus protection products that are rated higher. Same or less money especially for the first year.  Some like Avast offer home user versions for free and they offer a paid version with more protection.  PC Magazine has a number of evaluations on the web comparing both free and fee based products.

Hint: Even if you want the full feature version, install the free version first.  Most offer a substantial savings to migrate to the full version during the install process.  If installing one of the free versions, be very careful during the install process, many like to add tool bar search engines and etc by default.  Just uncheck that you do not want it and you will be better off in most cases. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:49:45 PM by Gregg »
Make everyday a good day.
2005 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2007 Harley Ultra CVO

Moebius

• ---
  • Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
    • Our RV Dream
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 08:05:19 PM »
I can't resist making a Mac comment. I have owned a Macbook since 2009 and have never used antivirus software and never had a problem with a virus, spyware, etc.

Not trying to hate on Windows here, just wanted to mention that.
----------
Chris, Amber, and 5 y/o Christopher
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 35B
Ford F53 Chasis
362 hp 3 valve Triton V10 engine
Tampa Bay, FL (Pinellas County)
Our Blog: www.OurRVDream.com

legrandnormand

• ---
  • Retired and enjoying it since 1995
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 08:22:52 PM »
I have been using the free version of 360 Total Security for just over a year and I have never had any problems with viruses or spyware and no "slowing down" the computer. It even gives you your booting time.
p.s. I run Windows 10, 64 bits and my laptop boots in 20 seconds. ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:27:37 PM by legrandnormand »
Normand
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
2010 Gulfstream Independance, model 8367
2009 Smart Cabriolet

Jim Johnson

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:51:48 PM »
Ned would have given us the straight line on this!!
Jim

Jim & Tarry Johnson

Curiosity

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 08:58:56 PM »
WIN-10 has the best anti viral and removal tool that is constantly updated in the back ground. Most other programs will slow down and interfere with your system. Saying that the important question is how you use your system.  If you do a lot of searching on the web anti vires is important.  If you use gmail they have there own filtering and antiviral.  Yahoo, AOL the worst.
 What seems to be the current best idea is Chrome Books but you will need access to the internet but currently there is no viruse.

One good source of any technology is The Tech Guy with Leo Laporte.  Covers anything with a chip including photography.  Been around since the old 8088 days.

Remember the most important thing you can do is back up your data BOTH on site and off.  If something happens to the RV you lose everything.  I use Carbonite.

Take care..

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »
Yeah, I am still up in the air. I will continue to research....
Marty--

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »
I use the Windows 10 stuff. Got rid of al the virus junk. Over the years had Norton, Bitdefender, et al. Thw Windows stuff works great and the computer doesn't bog down as it did before. I also use Iobits Advanced System Care.
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 09:42:31 PM »
So I got an email from Norton that my virus protection is about to renew. They want $90 for a year. I have read that W-10 has some pretty good virus protection built in.  So what is the current thought process of the computer guys, yea or nay?

I've been using free version of AVG (very highly rated) for years, never had a problem. Norton is very processor intensive (slows your computer down) and not as highly rated.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 10:16:28 PM »

I'm with you, JJ.  Ned would have given us clear, concise, unbiased opinion.  Miss him so much!

Jeannine

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 02:06:17 AM »

Ned advised me to use the built in Win 10 tools (defender, etc.).  He said his advice would be different if I spent time on certain types of web sites.

I miss him too.

Jeannine
2009 HitchHiker 37CKRD
2014 RAM 3500

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 07:26:13 AM »
Yeah, when I started to ponder this question, the first person I thought of was emailing Ned.  I miss his presence.
Marty--

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 08:54:45 AM »
I've used AVG for years without problem, but the real reason is that I have dedicated a Surface computer to financial transactions (not purchasing, just banking and paying cc's, etc.). I use a seperate computer for everything else (actually one each for us). In fact I dropped AVG a year ago and have not noticed it's gone.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »
I use the free Windows Defender AV (aka: Windows Security Essentials) from MS these days, but the free versions of Avast and AVG are rated somewhat higher in effectiveness. I see no reason to pay Norton a bunch of money for protection that is no better than average, plus I find the performance overhead of the Norton package to be substantially greater than any of the three I mentioned. Windows Defender has the least performance impact, but all 3 of those are ok.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 10:11:48 AM »
I use the free Windows Defender AV (aka: Windows Security Essentials) from MS these days, but the free versions of Avast and AVG are rated somewhat higher in effectiveness. I see no reason to pay Norton a bunch of money for protection that is no better than average, plus I find the performance overhead of the Norton package to be substantially greater than any of the three I mentioned. Windows Defender has the least performance impact, but all 3 of those are ok.
I, too, use Windows Security Essentials, but I have added Malwarebytes Premium ($25/yr) as well.  But, by far, the best anti-virus is to avoid those "dark, dank" websites (if you know what I mean).  Actually, Malwarebytes has a free version, but the pay version gives you real-time protection.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 11:00:29 AM »
Ditto on Windows Security Essentials.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 05:33:15 PM »
I would never trust Windows Protection by itself but I'm naturally a bit skeptical of folks who Sell Anti-Viral products.

You see, back in the early days I kept asking "Are they "Seeding the market"  Turns out one company.. Was (My source says Peter Norton would NEVER do that but actually gave documented info on one if Norton's competitors who did. OH well).

That said. I use multiple anti-virus products and scan this machine daily.. I have had my no-charge products warn me off many web pages before I even connected, and I'v ehad them get rig mostly of PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs)  The only thing wrong with the PUP designation is that there is no POTENTIALLY about it, they are always unwanted.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Gregg

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »
Windows Defender is a decent product, already installed, and will not try and up sell you, but Avast and some others are constantly rated higher.  Seems like Microsoft is a step behind those that focus solely on the virus protection business.  Personally have been using the free Avast for years and have a number of clients running the paid versions on workstations and file servers with no complaints.

Overhead or impact on the workstation performance is minimal.  One key item is keeping your OS and browser up to date, do not use java plugins, and keep the virus definitions current no mater which product you select.  None of them are infallible.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:51:16 PM by Gregg »
2005 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2007 Harley Ultra CVO

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 05:45:53 PM »
I can't resist making a Mac comment. I have owned a Macbook since 2009 and have never used antivirus software and never had a problem with a virus, spyware, etc.

Not trying to hate on Windows here, just wanted to mention that.

A dose of reality.  http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/12151-Dispelling-Myths-about-Apple-Products-and-Viruses.html. (One of hundreds of tech articles that all say basically the same thing)

I have two macs, two iPads, 5 Windows PCs and 4 different versions of Linux.  Two Android boxes and two OpenElec boxes.  Only the Linux machines, iPads, and OpenElec have no virus protection installed. 

I get Norton free from my ISP and it seems to do an adequate job.  If I had to pay for it I would buy a new copy every year because Frys Electronics almost always sells it much cheaper than renewing.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:48:22 PM by 8Muddypaws »
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 02:41:51 AM »
FWIW, I only use the Microsoft Security Essentials that comes with Windows 7...and it's the only anti-virus I've used for several years. (except for a few months in 2013 when we had Comcast) I tend to wade into some pretty sketchy "internet waters" from time to time and <knock on wood> have never had a problem.

I used to be a big fan of the Symantec/Norton products...they'd catch things that some of the others would miss. (McAfee...I'm looking at you!) 
Norton seemed to get pretty resource-heavy for a while, but for part of 2013, we had Comcast internet and Norton 360/Security Suite came as part of the package. It worked pretty well and didn't slow things down. Still...once we moved out of that apartment and Comcast was no longer an option, I went back to Windows Security Essentials with no issues.
Do I LIKE Symantec/Norton? Yep...but I wouldn't pay an annual subscription just to have it.

is my solution fool-proof? Heck no...but I usually keep important things backed up and am not afraid to do a complete reformat if/when it's absolutely necessary. (but I haven't had to do that in well over a decade of wandering through some of the less-desirable parts of the web. Use caution what you click on...and never NEVER open an email attachment that you aren't expecting from someone you KNOW WELL. (and even then, you can still get stung if the sender has been compromised.)
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

nvrver

• ---
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 01:04:06 PM »
I switched from Norton 360 to AVG Ultimate multi device 2 years subscription for $61.20 for my laptop & smartphone last April.   It seem to be working smoothly with my recent download of W-10.  There also was a Foreign Transaction Fee of  $2.43.   Dick
Charter Life Member Good Sam
RVing since 1984
2006 Winnebago Class C, Ford V-10
2013 Honda CR-V EX AWD
Member WIT - Washoe Winnies

Moebius

• ---
  • Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
    • Our RV Dream
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »
A dose of reality.  http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/12151-Dispelling-Myths-about-Apple-Products-and-Viruses.html. (One of hundreds of tech articles that all say basically the same thing)

I have two macs, two iPads, 5 Windows PCs and 4 different versions of Linux.  Two Android boxes and two OpenElec boxes.  Only the Linux machines, iPads, and OpenElec have no virus protection installed. 

I get Norton free from my ISP and it seems to do an adequate job.  If I had to pay for it I would buy a new copy every year because Frys Electronics almost always sells it much cheaper than renewing.

It's a shame when posts are taken out of context. However, I don't blame you for assuming that's what I was saying. The Windows/Mac debate has raged forever.

I did not say that Macs never get spyware and viruses just because they were Macs. I said that I have never had one in the 7+ years I have owned one.  I am a software developer and I know what to look for as far as threats go, so I know that has something to do with it. People who install software from untrusted sources are usually the ones that fall victim to such issues.

Please don't assume generalizations when people post anecdotes.
----------
Chris, Amber, and 5 y/o Christopher
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 35B
Ford F53 Chasis
362 hp 3 valve Triton V10 engine
Tampa Bay, FL (Pinellas County)
Our Blog: www.OurRVDream.com

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 06:50:39 PM »
;D ;D ;D. I find humor and irony here.  And I mean this to be humorous so please take it that way.  You're chiding me for posting a link to a factual article and including some anecdotal comments.  Wasn't your preceding post purely anecdotal?

There are people on this forum who might be on the fence regarding VP on their Macs and do not have the skill and knowledge (and luck) to avoid the myriad bad things out there.  Just doing my part to save them a potential disaster.

BTW, I was a developer for most of a 45 year tech career, a hobbiest since the Homebrew Computer Club and the S100 buss.  I know how to stay away from dangerous stuff on the net but my wife and grandkids sure don't.  Nor do the people at my volunteer job.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Gregg

• ---
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 12:01:14 PM »
8MuddyPaws touched upon one very import factor and that is the user.  I remember awhile ago there was a virus going around and I sent out an email to my clients warning them not to open an email with a certain subject line.  Sure enough about a week later a client called me referencing that email and asked me if it was OK to open a particular email and I said NO!  His comment: "Too late come and get my PC".   :)Funny now but not at the time.  By the way, just because a product is not alerting you of a virus or keylogger does not mean you are not infected.  Do not know of any Virus Protection product that is 100% reliable.  If you are knowledgeable user and know what to stay away from goes a long way.     

Seems like software like this is like oil brand recommendations.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:03:20 PM by Gregg »
2005 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2007 Harley Ultra CVO

MoonDog

• ---
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 03:12:04 PM »

Avast Free Antivirus is what you need. It does the job very well, has low overhead and best of all it is free. You can pay for and upgraded version if you want more bells and whistles but I've been using the free version for years and I do some high risk browsing on occasion and it Avast has never let me down.

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 03:17:36 PM »
A question about Avast, AVG and other freebie AV apps...Do any or all of the free versions provide real-time protection?
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

MoonDog

• ---
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 08:03:57 PM »
A question about Avast, AVG and other freebie AV apps...Do any or all of the free versions provide real-time protection?

Yes they do and I've used both. At one time Avast was considered the best virus protection out there and AVG was a close second. I really don't like Symantec and McAfee type virus programs. I use AVG and run Malwarebytes once in a while for the "pup" (potentially unwanted program) stuff. I visit bit torrent sites which are notoriously virus laden and never had a problem.

Hosted by Over The Network