EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Submitting your DNA  (Read 5294 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Submitting your DNA
« on: July 26, 2016, 05:20:50 PM »
I'm continually surprised when I hear friends and acquaintances tell me they submitted their DNA samples to some online source, then are surprised that the results show their heritage as something way different from what they previously "knew".

Is this just me, or are folks getting taken for a $$ ride?
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Moebius

• ---
  • Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
    • Our RV Dream
Re: Submitting your DNA
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »
<Rant>
DNA, online banking usernames and passwords (Mint), and the list goes on. People these days wonder why they get spammed, robocalled, junk mail, etc.

I am terrified to think of the information can be gleaned from my DNA and who is seeing it. Maybe I am paranoid, I have been watching Orphan Black (it's about clones, if you haven't heard of it), but DNA is a pretty personal thing, in my opinion.
</Rant>

One thing I am missing is how they determine what your heritage is. Do they compare similar DNA sequences in a ethnic section of the population? I just don't know what the science is behind it.
----------
Chris, Amber, and 5 y/o Christopher
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 35B
Ford F53 Chasis
362 hp 3 valve Triton V10 engine
Tampa Bay, FL (Pinellas County)
Our Blog: www.OurRVDream.com

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:37:55 PM »
My wife and I had our DNA checked by Ancestry.com.  I learned that my DNA showed 15% Irish, and the rest was northern Europe. I have no idea where the Irish came in from my known ancestors but I don't know them very far back. She thought she was 100% German but found out there was bit of French and Russian.  It didn't get more specific than that, but it was interesting to us.
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 09:09:31 PM »

That's my thought also, I wouldn't be surprised if the just use your name and sent you a random profile from that.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 F-350 CC short box 6.7l 3.55 axle
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 09:48:51 PM »
I belong to a couple of family groups and DNA has been useful in identifying various branches of especially one.  The family originally came from Alsace based on actual genealogy backed up with historical data but there were missing pieces and branches with no known source.  We now know the origination of most of these branches and have identified further historical proof to substantiate what the DNA told us. There is still much unknown though.  Parts of this family are traceable back into the 1600s due to good family history, Bibles, church records, etc.

Genealogy is interesting and the DNA provides additional tools but the actual history is what nails things down.

Now if I could just find out why my Grandfather went to the Philippine islands as a teacher in about 1906.  While there he met my Grandmother, or had he already met her here in the States as she was the Daughter of an Army Dr. assigned to the PI in1906.  It is somewhat suspicious as both were in Ohio in 1905 visiting relatives in the same small area.  No letters have been found nor any other good references.  Frustrating!!!    :)

Still working on many other families as the number grows with each generation back!
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:43 PM »
DNA can easily determine whether you have African, European, or Asian ancestry.  That much is pretty accurate (but not completely.  30% of 'pure' Europeans have some African genes.).  When they state you have 18% northeastern Hungarian ancestry the science gets sketchy.  Also when they start claiming favorite foods and other cultural preferences.  That is just speculation, or fabrication.  DNA analysis is advancing rapidly, but no one is that good yet.  Some day maybe, not now.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

PatStab

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 11:56:04 PM »
I think it would be neat to know and yes its pricey.

I'm supposed to be 1/4 dutch, 1/4 French, and half irish.

I can't believe my ancestors had clean blood lines.  My grandma
was so dark and she had dark black hair with one white streak
down it when she died.  She was in  her  80's, since these French
came from Canada I think there is Indian in there too.  I would
like to know just for fun.

Quillback 424

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 12:36:01 AM »
My father was, supposedly, 100% Norwegian according to my grandparents.

My Mother, on the other hand, told me she was 1/4 Welsh, 1/4 Scottish, and a
"little" Illinois.

Back in those days you weren't allowed follow-up questions.
Larry --  Olathe, Kansas
2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2005 Trail Rated Jeep GC 4.7 L

"Only an insane society would restrict the liberties of healthy people based on the actions of the disturbed." 
John Hayward

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 01:02:55 AM »
Back in those days you weren't allowed follow-up questions.

Boy is that ever the truth!  In my family it was possible to get a grounded time if you asked the wrong question.

Added note:  I have found out the family secret as data became available on the internet and revealed the family secret via death certificates and news articles in old 1920 papers in small towns.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:54:59 AM by Jim Godward »
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

whiteva

• ---
    • Nibbler the traveling squirrel
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 07:17:25 AM »
To hear from my Father (RIP) I had a lot of jackass in me. But thankfully the major part of Cajun came out on top!
2008 Winnie 29TR, Class C
Me: RETIRED: Aerobatic flight instructor, RE Broker, EE,-
DW, Nan, works Finance for RV dealer. Travel short distances pulling 77' MGB on dolly.
 If not in the RV we are on the Sea Ray, with Nibbler & Shadeaux the black cat. http://www.acroflyer.com/nibbler/

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 11:39:08 AM »
Now that is funny. Did you ask him where the genes came from? I have been considering using the Ancestry.com kit in an attempt to find out something of my father. I found and met my bio mother but she would not reveal who he was. She did give me a name and a few details but given some inconsistencies I now believe she made it up.
However, unless someone in the family has submitted a sample that provides a close match all I am likely to find is that he was northern European.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »
I had 2 classmates who dated in high school. They broke up shortly before graduation. They went their separate ways. He joined the Navy. 48 years later, she called him and said she had cancer, as dying and wanted to tell him something. She told him they had a daughter together and she grew up to become a lawyer. He never knew after all these years. He made a attempt to contact the daughter but she didn't want to have anything to do with him. I can only imagine what the mother had told her growing up. So sad for both of them. The mother did eventually pass.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »
However, unless someone in the family has submitted a sample that provides a close match all I am likely to find is that he was northern European.

My good fortune has been that there were family searches being done in the conventional way and as a group, several key people who we knew based on actual documentation had their DNA tested.  From that we have been able to go further and clarify other information as to the branches.

My wife has a problem similar to you, she was adopted way back when.  The birth mother's name was recorded in pencil on some of the original paperwork but no one knows the father's name and we did not find her siblings till after the mother and their father were dead.  DNA has possibly revealed cousins etc. but without documentation, birth certificates, etc., we cannot be sure of anything unless the matches are much better, i.e., more complete and with a match of a woman to a man, that is almost impossible.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 02:04:14 PM »
I once asked my dad where our gene's came from. He said "Levi Strauss, San Francisco" ;D ;D
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »
After watching hours of NCIS, I'm not sure I want my DNA floating around. :o   No telling what I might be blamed for.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 05:03:03 PM »
Well that is a good question. First the two services I've checked out are about 200 dollars. that is a hunk of cash (No I did not bite,  200 is too hundred too much) (Sorry about punning there).

Throy has it you can get a partial idea of someone's genetic ancestry but frankly.  I remain unconvinced.

I am not sure the Human Genome is that tightly mapped yet.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 05:21:56 PM »
I told Chris that, if our DNA showed traces of steel or sheep, it would confirm what we already know  ;D

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 08:55:22 AM »
My wife's been doing genealogical research for the past 10 years or so. She takes the quality of her research seriously, often requiring multiple corroborating sources before she's willing to consider a connection "confirmed".
She sees DNA testing as a very handy tool, but you have to realize it's limitations. Results have to be viewed in context with other sources of information, and the specificity of matches drops off dramatically after a couple of generations.
She says that it's also a very fast-moving field, with the quality and depth of the test results constantly improving.
The "ancient ancestors" marketing ploy is double-edged. It gets a lot of people into the database, but many of those people read their results, find out that they're 2% Mongolian or Sub-Saharan, and then never log into the genealogical sites again. (Background: These sites provide messaging services so that members can be notified of the existence of people with significantly matching DNA and can "ping" each other anonymously to request further contact.) This has proven very frustrating for the active researchers, who get a notification that there's, say, a second-cousin match with someone whom they now can't contact. SO there's a ton of potentially useful information wasting away in the databases.
Paul--
2004 Ford Excursion V-10 ("Moose")
2010 Keystone Outback 270BH ("Squirrel")
2016 Mazda MX5 Miata ("Roadster")
##37 States So Far...##

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 09:24:50 AM »
Thanks for that perspective Pop.

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 11:00:04 AM »
I didn't say this earlier, but about a year after we had submitted our samples, we were contacted by a person that said they were representing a 50 year old male that had been adopted as a baby. His DNA indicated that he was my second cousin and he was trying to get in contact with his birth parents.  So I guess that would mean that one of my first cousins was his parent.  I am not aware of any of my cousins that gave a baby up for adoption but there are lot of possibilities I guess. I provided my grandparents information to them but I am not aware that anything progressed beyond that.
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 11:43:36 AM »
Well Regarding the 2nd cousin.

There are two kinds of folks who would contact you about that, Legit and scam artists.

But assuming legit... not all that long ago it was not uncommon for a young lady to go for an extended visit to her elderly Aunt or some such.... You know her.. The Nurse at the home for unwed mothers.

And then oh, say 9 months later... Return home..  And nobody says anything.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 12:00:05 PM »
Well Regarding the 2nd cousin.

There are two kinds of folks who would contact you about that, Legit and scam artists.

But assuming legit... not all that long ago it was not uncommon for a young lady to go for an extended visit to her elderly Aunt or some such.... You know her.. The Nurse at the home for unwed mothers.

And then oh, say 9 months later... Return home..  And nobody says anything.

For that matter, it's possible a male cousin got a girl pregnant and she gave the baby up for adoption/
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 12:03:33 PM »
Once upon a time, this stuff was all written in the family bible.

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 12:29:15 PM »
There are protections sort of built into that communication system. If my wife reaches out to someone via Ancestry.com regarding an Ancestry DNA match to someone in her tree, that person would also have received a notification of the match already. My wife's Ancestry Id and her tree are public, so he/she can look and see which persons in her tree triggered the match, and how extensive her work has been.
I would be reluctant to respond to a contact request from an Ancestry user with a private tree unless provided with enough information to make me comfortable.

The idea she'd like people to embrace is to keep logging back in periodically and not just read your DNA results once and let that be the end of it. Over time you'll probably get match notifications, maybe contact requests, and from that have the opportunity to help serious genealogists in their work or at least meet some neat people whom you'd never have known otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:37:27 PM by PopPop51 »
Paul--
##37 States So Far...##

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 05:06:16 PM »
I think you're right. I see a commercial from one of those companies, where the client (actor?) is surprised to discover that she is 27% native American. Is it even possible to be 27% anything? One out of four grand parents whoud make her 25% native American.

I have tried to think of some combination that would yield 27%, but I am just about ready to conclude that it is impossible, without going back many many generations.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

driftless shifter

• ---
  • A Luddite with a stupid phone
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 05:54:20 PM »
You know most if not all of these ancestry DNA sites are backed by the LDS for whatever reason?

Just saying, not suggesting anything more than wondering why they are so interested in gathering as much ancestral info as possible. They have been gathering ancestral info since before DNA science was commonplace.

Bill
Bill & Nan
(o\_!_/o)
93 bounder 34, chevy chassis
couple of aircooled vw's, 1 fast(sold), 1 reliable(sold).  Dubless : (
USN '76-'80, 1 boat, USS Blandy, DD 943.
I'm an analog guy in a digital age.

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 06:53:30 PM »
I think you're right. I see a commercial from one of those companies, where the client (actor?) is surprised to discover that she is 27% native American. Is it even possible to be 27% anything? One out of four grand parents whoud make her 25% native American.

I have tried to think of some combination that would yield 27%, but I am just about ready to conclude that it is impossible, without going back many many generations.

Joel

The other part of that is, I cannot conceive of any way that anyone could be 27% native American and not know it.
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 07:42:04 AM »
 My father once told me that he and my mother had distant common relatives. After doing the searches I have found that my 4Th great grandfather on my fathers side is the same man as my 5Th great grandfather on my mothers side. He also said that my mothers family searched back and found some black Douglass and were so disappointed the quit searching. What they didn't realize apparently is there were two clans, the Black Douglass and the Red Douglass and it had nothing to do with race.

Facebook has put me in touch with people I have not talked to in fifty years and relatives that I never knew existed. I found a daughter (rather she found me) multiple nephews and nieces, old girlfriends.

I am convincing myself to do the DNA test, after all at my age and limited life expectancy there is little damage that could be done. Besides there is one person missing and no record of her. She is my 3rd great grandmother on my fathers side.

You can follow the modern history of the world by doing an ancestry search. I found a relative that was made a nobleman by King James, a family that died from the plague and sent their newborn son to America to escape it, a family that left France to escape the Napoleonic wars. There was a Colonel in George Washingtons staff, a soldier that died at the Alamo and a brother that was in Pattons Army in North Africa. It's all very interesting and like looking for Easter eggs since you never know what you find.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »
My wife is heavy into genealogy and offered this little tidbit:
Autosomal DNA (abbreviated atDNA) passes down from ALL your ancestors. At each conception, a child receives approximately 50% of this DNA from each parent. But which 50% you get is random. So your siblings may get a different mix and you will probably not inherit equal amounts from each grandparent.

After four generations the amount of common / shared DNA is  undetectable.

Mitochondrial DNA  (mtDNA) that mothers pass on to their children.  Both men and women have mtDNA but only women pass it on.

Y-DNA is chromosomes that men inherit from their father, who got it from their father, etc.   Y chromosome passes on mostly unchanged, but after only a few generations, direct paternal lineage is only a tiny part of any personís overall ancestry.

There, now you know. :)
U.S. Navy (Ret)

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 11:18:25 AM »
Once upon a time, this stuff was all written in the family bible.

Yes, it was and those records have been very helpful and in the case of my Alsacian ancestors were the key in sorting out the DNA findings.  Without them we would not have been able to find the details and actual family branches.  The DNA helped sort out some missing people so we could ask the right questions of others. 

Every record helps.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »
"I am convincing myself to do the DNA test, after all at my age and limited life expectancy there is little damage that could be done."

Catblaster, at our age doing a DNA test is especially easy. After all, it's just drooling into a cup.  ;D
Paul--
##37 States So Far...##

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 01:22:12 PM »
On the Mormon involvement with genealogy:
Neither of us is Mormon and we have no Mormon relatives that I'm aware of. My wife has spent many hours at the local LDS family history centers and has made several research trips to Salt Lake City. After 10+ years we're not on any Mormon mailing lists (if they exist - we wouldn't know) nor have we been approached or "missioned" in any way about the church.
The Mormon imperative that is the basis for their connection to genealogy is, for non-Mormon genealogists, a very fortunate coincidence.
They do their thing and are very generous about letting others use the fruits of their efforts.
Paul--
##37 States So Far...##

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 03:07:27 PM »
On the Mormon involvement with genealogy:
Neither of us is Mormon and we have no Mormon relatives that I'm aware of. My wife has spent many hours at the local LDS family history centers and has made several research trips to Salt Lake City. After 10+ years we're not on any Mormon mailing lists (if they exist - we wouldn't know) nor have we been approached or "missioned" in any way about the church.
The Mormon imperative that is the basis for their connection to genealogy is, for non-Mormon genealogists, a very fortunate coincidence.
They do their thing and are very generous about letting others use the fruits of their efforts.
Mormons believe they can pray their ancestors into heaven which is why they are into genealogy so much.  They need to know who their ancestors are in order to do that.  As for non-Mormon access to their records, its easy.  They get many more records contributed for their research purposes.  The only problem is, those records are not proven, yet many people (including some Mormons) use the records and assume they are correct.  After all, they are in the Mormon database so they must be correct. ::)
U.S. Navy (Ret)

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »
     Donna has been into Genealogy for over 40 years.  She will only use information posted on line as reference, but won't add any of the information unless she can confirm it.  She estimates the over 50% of what get posted is incorrect. 
     As for the LDS, their religious rituals have a lot to do with their ancestry, hence they maintain the largest genealogy library in the world.  However, even though they are extremely helpful, neither of us has ever been approached regarding converting to their beliefs, after 2 visits to their Research Center in Salt Lake, or using their local centers.  Family Search is their on line search site.  Ancestry is a private, for profit company that has bought up a lot of information, but makes no effort to ensure it is correct.
     And as far as doing up our DNA, since it provides no specific linkage, she sees little value.  Also, please be aware that once you provide one of these companies with your DNA, it then becomes "public domain" to be used by them as they see fit.
     Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 03:39:08 PM »
"They get many more records contributed for their research purposes.  The only problem is, those records are not proven, yet many people (including some Mormons) use the records and assume they are correct.  After all, they are in the Mormon database so they must be correct."

True up to a point. The biggest hurdle that serious genealogists have to overcome is sloppy genealogists.
Today the Mormon master tree is not just a free-for-all. They want the community to attach documents and sources to people in their master tree in the interest of improving its accuracy and facilitating research.
All family tree entries are "documented" to some degree. The quality of that documentation varies, and each genealogist is free to decide whether they consider a connection "proven" based on their own review of the documentation. So "proof" is in the eye of the beholder.
It's sort of like the often-misused term "scientific fact", of which there are none. The process of science is one of constantly retesting and redefining hypotheses. But the concept of an absolute "fact" is not part or the scientific method. The closest thing to a fact that science can ever produce is a theory, and they get revised all of the time.
(Yes, I am proudly by training a scientist. And no, I don't want to start a discussion on evolution or vaccination or any such thing here.)
Similarly, a genealogical relationship is defined by the quality of its documentation. With everyone now able to publish their documentation in centralized locations, that documentation is more subject to scrutiny than ever before. It's crowd-sourcing on a species-wide scope.
Paul--
##37 States So Far...##

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2016, 05:15:41 PM »
I'm continually surprised when I hear friends and acquaintances tell me they submitted their DNA samples to some online source, then are surprised that the results show their heritage as something way different from what they previously "knew".

No need to pay anybody for your family history.  Just run for public office.  Your opponent will do it for you.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

Right Wing Wacko

• ---
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
After watching hours of NCIS, I'm not sure I want my DNA floating around. :o   No telling what I might be blamed for.

This is a real concern.   The government has already successfully subpoenaed DNA data from one of the Genealogy sites for the relative of someone they suspected of a crime and used the DNA partial match as evidence against them.   Once the genie is out of the bottle, you can't put it back, and it effects not only you, but family members as they can use a familial match.
--
Fleetwood Jamboree Class C

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »
I'm sticking with entries in the family bible!

wb6kwt

• ---
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 07:31:52 AM »
I did the DNA test with Ancestry.com and I'm convinced that at least the matches I see are good. I've contact a couple of the matches and they provided information that only a relative would know. I only recently started a family tree and have traced both sides of my family back to the 1500 hundreds here in the US. I don't want to pay the fee to obtain the data bases that could show where they originally came from. My DNA showed 73% Great Britain and 6% Irish and 12% other and this seems to match up with the information I've found during my search. You have to be very careful using other peoples family trees as a source. I contact one person to let them know that my cousin was still alive because he was listed as deceased on their tree.  I try to find official documents like death certificates, marriage license, etc. Because 1940 is the last census released it becomes difficult to locate people born after that.

Bob
2004 Brave 30'
Retired Navy Chief
Minesweepers, Destroyers
Retired AV guy City of Tracy, California

Molaker

• ---
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2016, 09:56:17 AM »
This is a real concern.   The government has already successfully subpoenaed DNA data from one of the Genealogy sites for the relative of someone they suspected of a crime and used the DNA partial match as evidence against them.   Once the genie is out of the bottle, you can't put it back, and it effects not only you, but family members as they can use a familial match.
I think I understand your forum user name now. :)
U.S. Navy (Ret)

Right Wing Wacko

• ---
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »
I think I understand your forum user name now. :)

I got my internet nickname a number of years ago when I ran for a low level office as a republican.   It sort of stuck.

Here is a link to one of the articles I was talking about:  http://fusion.net/story/215204/law-enforcement-agencies-are-asking-ancestry-com-and-23andme-for-their-customers-dna/

and here's one from Wired Magazine:  http://www.wired.com/2015/10/familial-dna-evidence-turns-innocent-people-into-crime-suspects/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:20:17 PM by Right Wing Wacko »
--
Fleetwood Jamboree Class C

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2016, 01:41:05 PM »
I got mine back with no surprises, but it did identify someone in their database that I did not know was a relative.
Keith

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »
"I am convincing myself to do the DNA test, after all at my age and limited life expectancy there is little damage that could be done."

Catblaster, at our age doing a DNA test is especially easy. After all, it's just drooling into a cup.  ;D

they could just take a drool sample from my beard but it might show up a biscuits and gravy.

I have already taken one DNA test and found myself a new 27 year old daughter and a grandson. Been great.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

dpickard

• ---
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2016, 10:31:58 PM »

I just got my results back from Ancestry DNA...

They say I am:

Great Britain 68%
Western Europe 14%
Scandinavia 9%
Ireland 4%
Iberian Peninsula 2%
Eastern Europe 1%
Native American 1%
Less than 1% Asian

Who knows? But, it was fun anyway.
Gil and Dianne
Piedmont area NC
2007 Allegro Bus 40 QDP

Mpyre

• ---
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »
Is there a way to submit a DNA sample anonymously?  Any companies that will give only ethnic info and not include your personal info in a registry?

I know you can buy a drug store test kit for drugs or STDs.  It includes a sample collection kit, prepaid postage, and a unique anonymous identifier code.  Just call in for the results with no personal identifying info ever being submitted.

1998 Fleetwood Flair 25'

Hosted by Over The Network