EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Submitting your DNA  (Read 4680 times)

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
Re: Submitting your DNA
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »
"I am convincing myself to do the DNA test, after all at my age and limited life expectancy there is little damage that could be done."

Catblaster, at our age doing a DNA test is especially easy. After all, it's just drooling into a cup.  ;D
Paul--
2004 Ford Excursion V-10 ("Moose")
2010 Keystone Outback 270BH ("Squirrel")
2016 Mazda MX5 Miata ("Roadster")
##37 States So Far...##

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 01:22:12 PM »
On the Mormon involvement with genealogy:
Neither of us is Mormon and we have no Mormon relatives that I'm aware of. My wife has spent many hours at the local LDS family history centers and has made several research trips to Salt Lake City. After 10+ years we're not on any Mormon mailing lists (if they exist - we wouldn't know) nor have we been approached or "missioned" in any way about the church.
The Mormon imperative that is the basis for their connection to genealogy is, for non-Mormon genealogists, a very fortunate coincidence.
They do their thing and are very generous about letting others use the fruits of their efforts.
Paul--
##37 States So Far...##

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 03:07:27 PM »
On the Mormon involvement with genealogy:
Neither of us is Mormon and we have no Mormon relatives that I'm aware of. My wife has spent many hours at the local LDS family history centers and has made several research trips to Salt Lake City. After 10+ years we're not on any Mormon mailing lists (if they exist - we wouldn't know) nor have we been approached or "missioned" in any way about the church.
The Mormon imperative that is the basis for their connection to genealogy is, for non-Mormon genealogists, a very fortunate coincidence.
They do their thing and are very generous about letting others use the fruits of their efforts.
Mormons believe they can pray their ancestors into heaven which is why they are into genealogy so much.  They need to know who their ancestors are in order to do that.  As for non-Mormon access to their records, its easy.  They get many more records contributed for their research purposes.  The only problem is, those records are not proven, yet many people (including some Mormons) use the records and assume they are correct.  After all, they are in the Mormon database so they must be correct. ::)
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »
     Donna has been into Genealogy for over 40 years.  She will only use information posted on line as reference, but won't add any of the information unless she can confirm it.  She estimates the over 50% of what get posted is incorrect. 
     As for the LDS, their religious rituals have a lot to do with their ancestry, hence they maintain the largest genealogy library in the world.  However, even though they are extremely helpful, neither of us has ever been approached regarding converting to their beliefs, after 2 visits to their Research Center in Salt Lake, or using their local centers.  Family Search is their on line search site.  Ancestry is a private, for profit company that has bought up a lot of information, but makes no effort to ensure it is correct.
     And as far as doing up our DNA, since it provides no specific linkage, she sees little value.  Also, please be aware that once you provide one of these companies with your DNA, it then becomes "public domain" to be used by them as they see fit.
     Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 03:39:08 PM »
"They get many more records contributed for their research purposes.  The only problem is, those records are not proven, yet many people (including some Mormons) use the records and assume they are correct.  After all, they are in the Mormon database so they must be correct."

True up to a point. The biggest hurdle that serious genealogists have to overcome is sloppy genealogists.
Today the Mormon master tree is not just a free-for-all. They want the community to attach documents and sources to people in their master tree in the interest of improving its accuracy and facilitating research.
All family tree entries are "documented" to some degree. The quality of that documentation varies, and each genealogist is free to decide whether they consider a connection "proven" based on their own review of the documentation. So "proof" is in the eye of the beholder.
It's sort of like the often-misused term "scientific fact", of which there are none. The process of science is one of constantly retesting and redefining hypotheses. But the concept of an absolute "fact" is not part or the scientific method. The closest thing to a fact that science can ever produce is a theory, and they get revised all of the time.
(Yes, I am proudly by training a scientist. And no, I don't want to start a discussion on evolution or vaccination or any such thing here.)
Similarly, a genealogical relationship is defined by the quality of its documentation. With everyone now able to publish their documentation in centralized locations, that documentation is more subject to scrutiny than ever before. It's crowd-sourcing on a species-wide scope.
Paul--
##37 States So Far...##

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2016, 05:15:41 PM »
I'm continually surprised when I hear friends and acquaintances tell me they submitted their DNA samples to some online source, then are surprised that the results show their heritage as something way different from what they previously "knew".

Is this just me, or are folks getting taken for a $$ ride?

No need to pay anybody for your family history.  Just run for public office.  Your opponent will do it for you.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

Right Wing Wacko

• ---
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
After watching hours of NCIS, I'm not sure I want my DNA floating around. :o   No telling what I might be blamed for.

This is a real concern.   The government has already successfully subpoenaed DNA data from one of the Genealogy sites for the relative of someone they suspected of a crime and used the DNA partial match as evidence against them.   Once the genie is out of the bottle, you can't put it back, and it effects not only you, but family members as they can use a familial match.
--
Fleetwood Jamboree Class C

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »
I'm sticking with entries in the family bible!
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

wb6kwt

• ---
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 07:31:52 AM »
I did the DNA test with Ancestry.com and I'm convinced that at least the matches I see are good. I've contact a couple of the matches and they provided information that only a relative would know. I only recently started a family tree and have traced both sides of my family back to the 1500 hundreds here in the US. I don't want to pay the fee to obtain the data bases that could show where they originally came from. My DNA showed 73% Great Britain and 6% Irish and 12% other and this seems to match up with the information I've found during my search. You have to be very careful using other peoples family trees as a source. I contact one person to let them know that my cousin was still alive because he was listed as deceased on their tree.  I try to find official documents like death certificates, marriage license, etc. Because 1940 is the last census released it becomes difficult to locate people born after that.

Bob
2004 Brave 30'
Retired Navy Chief
Minesweepers, Destroyers
Retired AV guy City of Tracy, California

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2016, 09:56:17 AM »
This is a real concern.   The government has already successfully subpoenaed DNA data from one of the Genealogy sites for the relative of someone they suspected of a crime and used the DNA partial match as evidence against them.   Once the genie is out of the bottle, you can't put it back, and it effects not only you, but family members as they can use a familial match.
I think I understand your forum user name now. :)
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Right Wing Wacko

• ---
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »
I think I understand your forum user name now. :)

I got my internet nickname a number of years ago when I ran for a low level office as a republican.   It sort of stuck.

Here is a link to one of the articles I was talking about:  http://fusion.net/story/215204/law-enforcement-agencies-are-asking-ancestry-com-and-23andme-for-their-customers-dna/

and here's one from Wired Magazine:  http://www.wired.com/2015/10/familial-dna-evidence-turns-innocent-people-into-crime-suspects/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:20:17 PM by Right Wing Wacko »
--
Fleetwood Jamboree Class C

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2016, 01:41:05 PM »
I got mine back with no surprises, but it did identify someone in their database that I did not know was a relative.
Keith

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »
"I am convincing myself to do the DNA test, after all at my age and limited life expectancy there is little damage that could be done."

Catblaster, at our age doing a DNA test is especially easy. After all, it's just drooling into a cup.  ;D

they could just take a drool sample from my beard but it might show up a biscuits and gravy.

I have already taken one DNA test and found myself a new 27 year old daughter and a grandson. Been great.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

dpickard

• ---
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2016, 10:31:58 PM »

I just got my results back from Ancestry DNA...

They say I am:

Great Britain 68%
Western Europe 14%
Scandinavia 9%
Ireland 4%
Iberian Peninsula 2%
Eastern Europe 1%
Native American 1%
Less than 1% Asian

Who knows? But, it was fun anyway.
Gil and Dianne
Piedmont area NC
2007 Allegro Bus 40 QDP

Mpyre

• ---
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »
Is there a way to submit a DNA sample anonymously?  Any companies that will give only ethnic info and not include your personal info in a registry?

I know you can buy a drug store test kit for drugs or STDs.  It includes a sample collection kit, prepaid postage, and a unique anonymous identifier code.  Just call in for the results with no personal identifying info ever being submitted.

1998 Fleetwood Flair 25'

Hosted by Over The Network