PUP Brand/Model suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnpackfan

I gave up on the Bayside Elite which is a bummer because it was an AWESOME deal.  Anyway, we are keeping the Town & Country which apparently can tow about 2000#.

Does anyone have any suggestions what brand/model pup we should look at in which our van can haul?

You really need to get the exact towing capacity for your minivan - it may be as much as 3000 lbs, if you add a transmission cooler (inexpensive and you can do it yourself) and weight distributing hitch. However, some are less than 2000 - a 2007 Town & Country with 3.3L engine and economy rear axle is only 1800 lbs. A different rear axle could increase it, though.

The difference between 2000 and 3000 is a major one in Pup size and amenities. A friendly Chrysler dealer can look it up based on your VIN, but there should be something in the owner manual too. If possible, find out the GCWR (max combined weight of van and trailer), since that is the real number than everything derives from. If not available, a Towing Capacity number will do.

Once you have the towing capacity, you can survey available PUP makes and models for a GVWR that fits your capability. Try to stay about 10% under the van's tow capacity. If it is 1800-2000 lbs in capacity, you are looking at pretty basic trailers. Something like the Fleetwood Element would be a fit.

thanks for the reply.  This inside of our van door reads GVWR 2500.  We don't have a trailer hitch yet and need to put the coolant system  and weight distribution hitch on.  I have called a few Chrysler dealers and they just are not giving me a  straight answer.  The max combined weight of van and tailer is 6600 as stated in our manual.  Thanks for the suggestion.  If you have anymore.....that would be great!

This inside of our van door reads GVWR 2500.
Hmmm. Look again. That can't be the GVWR, which is the maximum weight of the van and passengers and cargo. The van itself must weigh more than 2500 lbs. 2500 sounds more like the maximum carrying capacity of the van, i.e. the most passengers and gear you can put onboard.

The max combined weight of van and tailer is 6600 as stated in our manual.
Now you have a really useful datum.  Get your van weighed, with a full tank of fuel and whatever passengers you would normally have when camping. Subtract that actual weight from the 6600 and that is the maximum trailer weight you could ever tow. I would back off from that about 10% and shop for a trailer with a GVWR of that size.  That's GVWR, not dry weight.  The only other thing to be cautious of is the weight on the hitch (called trailer tongue weight). Tongue weight is usually about 15% of the actual trailer weight and your van and hitch will have a max limit that must be obeyed. That's where a weight distributing hitch helps - it spreads the tongue weight over both front and rear axles on the van.

Back
Top Bottom