Google Fi cell service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting, I hadn't heard about the project. Watched the video and read all (?) the stuff. Looks like another 'Google or nothing' scheme, but I'm sure it will appeal to a lot of Google devotees. Still reading and looking for answers to a few questions.

I guess I don't see the "Google or nothing" aspect, except that no phone maker other than Google (Nexus) is currently offering the hardware that helps it all work seamlessly. I'm sure Google expects to profit in the long run, of course, but I think they are trying to create a demand for phones that can do these sorts of things, regardless of brand name.  A "rising tide lifts all boats" strategy that helps everybody by making phones more usable overall.

The lack of similarly capable phones from other brands kind of indicates what the cell phone industry thinks of the idea, though! The carriers are all still on the "exclusive marriage" business model, trying to tie us exclusively to their one network. They fear that metro area subscribers could too easily exist on wifi only and might not want a carrier plan at all, or only a minimal one.  This idea isn't gonna fly until Verizon, AT&T, etc. can see a way to make money doing it.

I don't have a Nexus phone, so I can't use Project Fi.  And from what I read, the wifi-to-cell-network magic works only on T-Mobile (so far).  Another strike against me as a Verizon user.

I was just investigating Google Fi.  It sounds pretty good, except...the coverage for AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile is not so good in the relatively remote areas we like to travel.  I would certainly like to hear otherwise before I make any changes in my current service.

I watched the video you linked to and the information content was... Well, it was not, that's what it was, NO information at all, It was "We can make America Great Again" level video, nothing about how it works, Nothign about how they plan on doing it, NOthign at all worthy of my time watching the video.

There are many services out there already that operate on multiple carriers.. Their web pages are far more informative.

These articles tell more about it. The other stuff is "sales".

http://www.androidcentral.com/what-project-fi-how-does-it-work-and-why-do-i-want-it
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/google-project-fi-what-we-know-about-the-nexus-cell-network-1291051

It sounds pretty good, except...the coverage for AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile is not so good in the relatively remote areas we like to travel.

That's one of the few amjor claims for fame for Google Fi. You can connect and make calls via wifi when cell service is poor or non-existent. Of course, that assumes there is wifi available in that area instead, but if a local business has it, you are good to go.

Gary RV Roamer said:
That's one of the few amjor claims for fame for Google Fi. You can connect and make calls via wifi when cell service is poor or non-existent. Of course, that assumes there is wifi available in that area instead, but if a local business has it, you are good to go.
I understand this and the system is a great idea.  However, I have been to many (lots!) of public campgrounds in out-of-the-way places that have no wifi service and the only thing that seems to connect, if anything does, is Verizon data.  If Google manages to make a deal with Verizon then they will have a winner.

Google is not the only company looking to offload cell phone traffic to the wifi band.  Most of the cell phone carriers already offload as much data to wifi as they can, and they're working on doing the same with voice calls as well.

It's not just piggybacking on some merchant's wifi.  The FCC has changed the rules to allow cell carriers to put up their own towers and treat wifi as an extension of their cellular spectrum.  Phones will default to the unlicensed wifi spectrum whenever possible to reduce congestion on the main cell towers.

What remains to be seen is how all this additional load affects existing wifi users, but I can't foresee anything good from adding all of this traffic to the existing wifi spectrum.

Do these new google phones allow other devices to be connected via WiFi (as a hot spot)? Are these other devices allowed to use an independent browser (not Chrome)?

Don't know if Hotspot software in part of the base Android software load, but they have the radio and Lan support. The spec for the Nexus 6P says

Wi-Fi:  802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot

Our Son came to visit this week and had a new Samsung Galaxy s-7 phone on Verizon.  It uses WI-FI to make phone calls whenever it has wifi available.  He's an airline pilot and is out of the country quite often and finds it really helpful to easily make calls or send text messages.

BigLarry said:
Our Son came to visit this week and had a new Samsung Galaxy s-7 phone on Verizon.  It uses WI-FI to make phone calls whenever it has wifi available.  He's an airline pilot and is out of the country quite often and finds it really helpful to easily make calls or send text messages.

We are on AT&T and they just recently enabled WiFi calling. Whenever our iPhones are connected to decent WiFi, we can make calls using that. We have had no bars and WiFi and we still were able to make calls.

Lou's description of the blurring differentiation between cellular frequencies and wifi is spot on. Apple started it with iMessage, which directs your SMS and MMS messages through their data centers when you're connected to Wifi. We text with the kids a lot, mostly from home, but our cell bills would show only a couple of dozen texts a month because most of them were running to Apple via our home Wifi.
On the other side, Apple recently started allowing its phones to use cellular data to make Facetime video connections. Originally you had to be on Wifi to Facetime.

Well, I just solved my phone and data issue.  I got a simple 2 GB unlimited voice and text account and a Samsung S4 for $68/mo.  Of course, that's not so great, but I also got a Jetpack for only $10/mo.  The devices use separate phone numbers, of course, and both use the same data allowance (2 GB, in this case).  I'll have to wait and see how much I use to see if I need to bump that up, but I had been averaging about 1GB/mo on my old data card.

Speaking specifically about Google Fi, I checked their coverage map and in major corridors like interstates, etc., it looks great. As soon as you get off those major corridors, it looks very spotty. Compared to the AT&T or Verizon maps, it is pretty sparse. However, maybe Google is factually representing what you should should expect for coverage. Since they are trying to get you pay for only what you use, they could be being more transparent about coverage.

I think the Google Fi coverage map might be more honest, too. I've found Verizon coverage to be very good, but it's never seemed quite as good as their map shows.
I looked at the coverage maps of the three Project Fi network partners, and each one of them alone gives the impression of better coverage than the Project Fi map does.
They're obviously setting expectations low.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom