waste valve assembly repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gods Country

During my TT renovation I managed be separate or break the joint where the gray water meets the black water 3" drain.  Nothing appears broke of missing.  There is no evidence of the joint ever being glued.  There is a seal, which would lead me to believe the joint was attached by other means.

My assembly looks like the one pictured below, and is separated where indicated.

Anyone know what voodoo is used to keep these two joined together?

The other odd thing is when the two separated the black water valve is now angled downward and would need to be strained quite a bit to make horizontal.  Everything else is glued or epoxied and can't possibly have rotated.

Any insight?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 81
Are you sure it wasn't just inserted in a rubber cuff type of seal?  The waste joints aren't under much pressure, so they sometimes aren't glued.  Mine is designed to rotate and just has a rudimentary gasket type joint on either side of the valves.

I've not seen that particular style of outlet & valves before, so can't help with the specifics. Seems odds to have the gray and black vales at 90 degrees to each other, though. Looks like it would be awkward to open one or the other.

There isn't enough room next to the gray water gate for a cuff.....1/8" max.  Nothing more than a lip.
It's odd.  Yet when I had both tanks tipped to allow the new membrane to slide over the tank ports they were fixed together.

I'm still scratching my head how they were attached.

Is there perhaps a rubber facing on that lip, so that the pipe just butts against it when it is all fit together? Since it's on the outlet side of the valve, there is essentially no back-pressure unless the drain hose is clogged. Maybe there was no seal at all and it's just a slip fit?

Perhaps the joint was designed to be a slip-fit with it being held together with the pressure the OP mentioned which is forcing the black slide valve below horizontal.

If the joint is glued, the face plate of the small slide valve (circled in red) could not be removed from the discharge pipe. I had a similar set-up and had to live with a broken faceplate because I couldn't find the appropriate replacement pipes and had to be very cautious every time I wanted to mess with the small (grey) slide valve.

One option may be to move the entire grey valve assembly upstream, if there is room, and install a rubber compression joint between the grey valve and the discharge pipe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom