RV and Campground Photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moebius

I decided to start this photo album for things I see related to RVs.

http://imgur.com/a/Ycmaf

First picture is someone in a Bounder with the jacks down and the front wheels off the ground. Our owner's manual says this is a big no no.

Chris, while I was looking for suitable campgrounds for the Minnesota Fall Colors Rally I noticed a similar picture on one of the campground websites.  Does the picture with the front wheels off the ground mean that the site is horribly unlevel? (BTW, we passed on that particular campground.)

That whole rig looks high. I really don't think that extreme was needed to level it.

I'm thinking of making a simple stabilizing setup for my Class C. Two 2x4s, each notched on one end and curved on the other with a hole in the middle. The boards would go under the frame in back and be pulled towards each other with a tie down strap. Just enough to take the "shake" out of the rig when sitting at camp.

srs713 said:
That whole rig looks high. I really don't think that extreme was needed to level it.

I'm thinking of making a simple stabilizing setup for my Class C. Two 2x4s, each notched on one end and curved on the other with a hole in the middle. The boards would go under the frame in back and be pulled towards each other with a tie down strap. Just enough to take the "shake" out of the rig when sitting at camp.
Sounds like a good idea.  Solid Physics theory!  I suspect you will need something much stronger than a bungee cord to get the desired result.  Let us know know it works!!

grashley said:
Sounds like a good idea.  Solid Physics theory!  I suspect you will need something much stronger than a bungee cord to get the desired result.  Let us know know it works!!

The idea is to use a ratcheting tie down strap.

But, might it be better the front wheels off the ground than the house burn down because the refrigerator is unlevel?

Front wheels off the ground maybe, rear wheels off the ground never. Parking brake or transmission in park  on gas drive motorhomes do not work if rear wheels are off the ground.

allygerry said:
Front wheels off the ground maybe, rear wheels off the ground never. Parking brake or transmission in park  on gas drive motorhomes do not work if rear wheels are off the ground.

The same is true for diesel pushers, the parking brakes are only on the rear wheels.

Parking brake or transmission in park  on gas drive motorhomes do not work if rear wheels are off the ground.

yeah, but 15,000 - 20,000 lbs planted on the two rear jacks makes for a pretty decent parking brake. The only real concern is whether the jack is capable of handling sideways forces as well as straight up & down. Often the "knee action" jacks are not, and some straight-acting types may be a bit wimpy too. Back in the day, I've heard of some bending when jacked up high and the coach is trying to slide downhill.

Back
Top Bottom