Anyone using AZ or NV as a domicile while full-timing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

702Rubi

One of the biggest issues with full-timing is having a valid residential address to use. 

I've heard of the outfits in SD, FL, and TX that provide an address for you to use on your driver's license, insurance, accounts, etc.  (And also receive and handle your physical mail.)  But I have no affiliation with those states and would not expect to travel to any of them.  Nothing against them but I'm a fan of the Southwest and Mountain West.

To that end, has anyone here ever used, or heard of anyone successfully using, NV or AZ as their domicile?  Are there any outfits in those states that function like the ones in SD, FL, and TX?  Maybe the laws of NV and AZ make it harder to pass yourself off as a resident if you don't physically reside there?

BTW I am a retiree currently living in NV.  Unfortunately I don't have family here, or in any other non-income tax state, otherwise I would just "borrow" their address. ;-)

I full timed it for ten years using a NV address since I was an NV resident before going full time. I used a place in Las Vegas as my mailbox called Mail Link Plus:

https://www.maillinkplus.com/

Very good service, reasonable rates and very honest.

One thing to watch out for with using a mail forwarder as a residential address in a larger city is in vehicle registration, you may have to have an emission test on your vehicle to get current tabs. You may want to look in the outer areas (non emission) for your mail forwarder. Then if you under 65 there's the health insurance thing.

Other than personal preference, it's mostly a matter of choosing a state with tax laws that are least burdensome for your particular situation. Most RVers try to avoid states with an income tax and/or vehicle property taxes. And if you anticipate buying another RV, sales tax is a major consideration as well. That's a major reason why  SD is popular.

From what I've read here, NV taxes/fees vary substantially by county. Don't know much about AZ, but we have plenty of people here who can help on that.

I currently use NV as my domicile, at least as far as the IRS is concerned...I use a mail service in Pahrump since they will let you use their street address for registration and no emissions problem in that county...

I use JB Mail - HERE!

I  am somewhat unique in that my drivers license and the trailer and truck are registered in Montana due to the fact that I could get permanent tags for both...so never need to renew. I am probably in a "grey" area as far as domicile is concerned but until Uncle Sam wants to argue - I am a Nevada resident...and will aggressively argue that point.

Good Luck

Jim

Happy Prospector said:
One thing to watch out for with using a mail forwarder as a residential address in a larger city is in vehicle registration, you may have to have an emission test on your vehicle to get current tabs. You may want to look in the outer areas (non emission) for your mail forwarder. Then if you under 65 there's the health insurance thing.

Yeah, the emissions deal makes Pahrump, NV attractive (I live in Las Vegas right now)!

I am retired from the Air Force so I have both VA and Tricare Standard coverage.  The VA is quirky since it is not a national system.  But I already know from past experience that the Tricare Standard coverage is quite portable.  The only problem I had with that was getting the snail mail bills!

SeilerBird said:
I full timed it for ten years using a NV address since I was an NV resident before going full time. I used a place in Las Vegas as my mailbox called Mail Link Plus:

https://www.maillinkplus.com/

Very good service, reasonable rates and very honest.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.  The Pahrump option sounds a little better but I will have to look carefully at all the details and pros/cons.

Wigpro said:
I currently use NV as my domicile, at least as far as the IRS is concerned...I use a mail service in Pahrump since they will let you use their street address for registration and no emissions problem in that county...

I use JB Mail - HERE!

I  am somewhat unique in that my drivers license and the trailer and truck are registered in Montana due to the fact that I could get permanent tags for both...so never need to renew. I am probably in a "grey" area as far as domicile is concerned but until Uncle Sam wants to argue - I am a Nevada resident...and will aggressively argue that point.

Good Luck

Jim

The permanent tags sound nice!  If you don't mind me asking, how did you get those?

Thanks for the JB Mail link, sounds like they would provide exactly what I need, and of course they're outside Clark County.

I often wonder, doesn't the DMV, etc. in these states notice that lots of people are using the same residential address for their registration?!

Gary RV Roamer said:
Other than personal preference, it's mostly a matter of choosing a state with tax laws that are least burdensome for your particular situation. Most RVers try to avoid states with an income tax and/or vehicle property taxes. And if you anticipate buying another RV, sales tax is a major consideration as well. That's a major reason why  SD is popular.

From what I've read here, NV taxes/fees vary substantially by county. Don't know much about AZ, but we have plenty of people here who can help on that.

Hopefully one or more people will have some AZ recommendations!  NV would be a logical choice since I'm already living here.  But AZ is in the neighborhood and of course no state income tax.  But I would have to do more research to see if there were other gotchas that might make AZ undesirable.

702Rubi said:
Hopefully one or more people will have some AZ recommendations!  NV would be a logical choice since I'm already living here.  But AZ is in the neighborhood and of course no state income tax.  But I would have to do more research to see if there were other gotchas that might make AZ undesirable.

IMHO you do NOT want AZ as your domicile. They DO have a state income tax and they also have a property tax on vehicles.

camperAL said:
Hi all,

Arizona sales tax is fairly high also. At least in Tucson.

Thanks for the reminder about the sales tax. Where I live, counting state, county and city, sales tax is 10% and there is no upper limit on the tax. If you buy a $200,000 MH you pay $20,000 in sales tax.

You can get a summary of various state taxes at bankrate.com. Here is AZ & NV:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/state-taxes-arizona.aspx

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/state-taxes-nevada.aspx

Both states have some substantial increments in some counties, though, so be cautious about the state-only figures.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
IMHO you do NOT want AZ as your domicile. They DO have a state income tax and they also have a property tax on vehicles.

OK, obviously I was mistaken! I thought they did not have a state income tax.

Annual AZ license plate for our 2006 m/h would be in excess of $2000.

702Rubi said:
The permanent tags sound nice!  If you don't mind me asking, how did you get those?

Thanks for the JB Mail link, sounds like they would provide exactly what I need, and of course they're outside Clark County.

I often wonder, doesn't the DMV, etc. in these states notice that lots of people are using the same residential address for their registration?!

Montana allows permanent tags on any vehicle over 10 years old - it costs a little more than regular but there is also no sales tax on vehicle sales so I got permanent tags for truck and trailer for about $400.00 - Nevada wanted much more, so while I was in Montana I changed both.

Good Luck,

Jim

Jeff said:
Annual AZ license plate for our 2006 m/h would be in excess of $2000.

Arizona offers one free vehicle license plate registration per year for 100% disabled veterans.  I use it for my DP.

The Stacker has a permanent plate on it.

Back
Top Bottom