When did the '07 engines come out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveg13

I just bought a '07 Damon Astoria with a Cummins ISB.  The build date is June '06.  I'm guessing this has an '06 motor in it?  Is there any way to easily identify which year the motor is?  Just trying to figure out if I need to use ULSD or not.
Thanks

If there is a VIN number associated with the chassis, then the 10th digit denotes the year...
10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y), 2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3), etc.

Yes, the chassis is an '07, but I'm pretty sure the engine is an '06.  Wouldn't there be some sort of sticker on the fuel door and dash saying that it requires ULSD if it was an '07?

Probably does not require ULSD.  However, to elliminate any doubt call Cummins and give them your engine serial number and they will tell you for sure.

daveg13 said:
Yes, the chassis is an '07, but I'm pretty sure the engine is an '06.  Wouldn't there be some sort of sticker on the fuel door and dash saying that it requires ULSD if it was an '07?

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Since the first of the year I haven't found a station that has LSD. Every station I've been in only has ULSD. Have you seen any stations with LSD?

Your build date tells you that it's an 06 engine.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Since the first of the year I haven't found a station that has LSD. Every station I've been in only has ULSD. Have you seen any stations with LSD?
Here in PA, you can still get regular diesel.

daveg13 said:
I just bought a '07 Damon Astoria with a Cummins ISB.  The build date is June '06.  I'm guessing this has an '06 motor in it?  Is there any way to easily identify which year the motor is?  Just trying to figure out if I need to use ULSD or not.
Thanks

Engines that require ULSD did not strat manufacture until 1-12007 except for some minor numbers for manufacturers to build prototypes, etc. fereral regualtions require that a notice be affixed toi the dash of a vehicle that requires ULSD fuel. Your engine is undoubtedly does not require ULSD.

Not a trick question. Most motorhome manufacturers stockpiled 2006 engines to delay as long as possible building coaches with 2007 engines because of the possible lack of universal availability of the new diesel. Additionally, 2007 coaches started showing up at dealerships and rallies long before the end of the year. Conceiveably, we could be within a few months of model year 2008 before some makes/models have 2007 engines.

Since the first of the year I haven't found a station that has LSD.

Until a few weeks ago, not one Flying J in the Eastern U.S. with the exception of two stations had ULSD.  FJ's in the west had ULSD.  If your engine requires ULSD, check the pump for a sticker, usually a green sticker, though Hess stations are using a black and white sticker.

There is a grace period of stations in the U.S. to changeover until 2010, so caution is advised.

In Canada, my understanding is that all stations must have ULSD as of Jan 1/ 07.

From what we are seeing, the 07 engines in motorhomes are just now making an appearance.  It seems the price premium for the 07 engines is substantial.

FYI Mexico has no ULSD fuel.  If you drive a 2007 engine into Mexico you could ruin your engine and void your warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom