Just bought a used Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Momof3Boys

We have been looking for a while and just bought a used Prowler trailer (a 99' to be exact) anyway I saw a one issue that I stupidly ignored and now I'm wondering how much worse can this get. we have NO savings for repairs so most has to done ourselves. The wood above the pullout has expanded and desinagrated into pieces. That I know I'll likely need someone. Than I notice in one of the bedrooms one side the panaling is damp but overall intack.  the other side, on the other hand, the wall (behind the wallpaper) has complete desinagrated to dust  >? both I can see where the water came in (by pressing on the wall) which I figure shouldn't be a difficult thing to fix. But I can see the ground! ?
Where I can see daylight in the floor is right where the awning poles are screwed in and the whole bracket Is  slightly pulling out from the Very rusty screws.. But when I step on the flooring it's Very solid (no sinking) just unattached. So my question is what do I use to attach the two parts so water doesn't get in and recreate another problem? Or should I be relooking at replacing flooring anyway. I'm just so scared that this is going to cost thousands more that we don't have. ?  Lastly, I noticed all the screws around the trailer frame are covered in some type of calking is that a good thing or a bad thing? Sorry for all the questions

I think that if you can see that much damage, there is much more that you can't see until you start tearing it apart.
It's probably going to be a major project to repair.

My opinion is to cut your loss by getting rid of it and start over.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Jeff. Unfortunately, it appears you may have purchased a money pit. I wish you had contacted us before you purchased it.
As far as the screws, the caulking is a good thing.

Rene T said:
Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Jeff. Unfortunately, it appears you may have purchased a money pit. I wish you had contacted us before you purchased it.
As far as the screws, the caulking is a good thing.

Thank you (and Jeff) for responding I'm not sure what to do other than sell it to someother shumk like we were. We paid 4,500 for what we figured might have issues but your saying it's not worth saving At All?!?! Freaking out over here!! Thank you again I guess since I bought some calk items I'll do what I can but.... Oh Lord!!
Any idea on the cost the wood beam replacement would be? If I can get 4-5 years out of this I would feel it was a success?

Well, the extent of the damage you describe sounds like major repairs, basically tearing out the sidewalls and maybe some flooring and roof too. You said you would need to do it yourself, but you didn't mention whether you have skills and tools to do this sort of thing. You need to stop the water intrusion, of course, but without seeing, it's hard to know what will be needed to make the trailer at least livable. It may be possible to just do some basic stuff and live with the rest until you can sell or swap it. I doubt if it is worth putting in the money to make good again, even if DIY. Can you replace wall paneling yourself?  What if the structure behind the panels is also rotted away? And heavens knows what "see daylight" implies about the floor and sidewall in that area!

Will this trailer be parked more-or-less permanently, or do you intend to tow it around.  I think some cover-it-up kind of temp repairs might work if it doesn't move much.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Well, the extent of the damage you describe sounds like major repairs, basically tearing out the sidewalls and maybe some flooring and roof too. You said you would need to do it yourself, but you didn't mention whether you have skills and tools to do this sort of thing. You need to stop the water intrusion, of course, but without seeing, it's hard to know what will be needed to make the trailer at least livable. It may be possible to just do some basic stuff and live with the rest until you can sell or swap it. I doubt if it is worth putting in the money to make good again, even if DIY. Can you replace wall paneling yourself?  What if the structure behind the panels is also rotted away? And heavens knows what "see daylight" implies about the floor and sidewall in that area!

Will this trailer be parked more-or-less permanently, or do you intend to tow it around.  I think some cover-it-up kind of temp repairs might work if it doesn't move much.
We were planning on traveling with it as I said the floors don't seem to have any damage it a leak in the window that desinagrated a wall which than unattached to the floor. Your right it's the wood beam above the slide out that I was actually talking about having to hire someone. Wish I could show a picture of it? We are taking it to a guy to get an assessment but since you all seem knowledgeable (and I know my husband) I just wonder whT we are looking at for sticker shock?

I have no idea for a price. It's a lot of labor, and skilled people justifiably get top rates ($75-$100+ per hour). Shade tree repair guys are probably half that, if you can find one, but you risk the quality of the work, or even whether they can & will finish what they start. Your standards for the appearance of the finished repairs could make a lot of difference too.

Maybe it's not as bad as you made it sound. For your sake, I hope so!

Gary RV Roamer said:
I have no idea for a price. It's a lot of labor, and skilled people justifiably get top rates ($75-$100+ per hour). Shade tree repair guys are probably half that, if you can find one, but you risk the quality of the work, or even whether they can & will finish what they start. Your standards for the appearance of the finished repairs could make a lot of difference too.

Maybe it's not as bad as you made it sound. For your sake, I hope so!

Thanks I'll keep praying for a miracle as I'm not the type to dump this on some other unknowledgeable person 

Well things are not getting much brighter we got a fair assessment on the trailer today apparently the roof rubber is shot the good news if we replace to roof with something "cheaper" he can get the replacing the beam at cost. Which if we wait until October 31st he give us the winter rate of $3,000 at best scenario. Than my husband and I can do the inside as we go....   
So instead of $4,500 we will be spending $8,000 best sinario

Ok I know I'm in the remodel section but you were all so helpful I was wondering (before we spend 10,000 on fixing a trailer that I am finding more problems than we had thought before you could point me in the right direction for honesty on good/great trailers
So here they are
http://www.hwmotorhomes.com/2004-lite-way-25rs-used-travel-trailer-mi-i1952363

http://www.hwmotorhomes.com/2006-forest-river-29-bh-super-slide-used-travel-trailer-mi-i1947174

http://www.hwmotorhomes.com/2011-skyline-layton-joey--268-used-travel-trailer-mi-i1947829

unless you can afford to lose the money you already paid on the one you have maybe take some pictures of the damage you have and see if its going to be $10k to fix it.
The real question is and someone asked this, do you have the knowledge, skills and tools to tackle the repair or will you be need to pay someone tio do it for you?
I've been a general contractor for 30+ years and I don't see the damage your explaining as a $10k expense to fix, could be I'm not considering profit and overhead if you have to pay someone, I do my own work so my labor is essentially free.
The pictures of the used ones "look" nice, but as you know from experience pictures don't always tell the whole story....

Yeah we decided to have someone fix it this winter but even though the ground feels solid the one rainstorm the tarp wasn't covering soaked the inside carpeting by one of the extension walls....
Anyway I guess my question was ( like cars) there are brands and years you want to avoid or areas you should pay Really close attention to for a $$$ flaw. That's the things I was asking so if we try again I'm not so blinded as I was in the first place.
Thank you all for any advice you can give me I Really Really appreciate it.

You can add me to the list of folks who are sorry to hear about your situation. Based on the problems you've described, I don't see an inexpensive or easy way of repairing it. I can just about guarantee that you're going to find more water damage if/when you start removing and replacing structural beams and panels. It sounds like the previous owner(s) simply didn't maintain it properly, and now you're stuck with it.

Buying a used RV with a name-brand in no way guarantees that it won't have just as many problems as a used brand-X RV if they were neglected to the same degree. My point is, if you end up selling this one (which is something I think you should consider) don't assume that the next one is going to be in better shape just because the manufacturer has a good reputation. Some sellers will go to great lengths to point out the shiny bells and whistles on their RVs, knowing full well that the interior walls have rotted out.

Kev

:'( sounds like I shouldn't even try.... We so wanted to get into camping the few trips we've done in my parents hybrid pop-out were great we just need solid walls for my husband back issues.

I debated whether or not to respond to your questions, because - like others here - I don't enjoy being the bearer of bad news, and none of us wants to discourage you from RVing. BUT... I'd also hate to see you sink a ton of labor, time and money into an RV that (may) not be worth repairing. Without detailed photos, it's hard to determine the extent of the damage, but from what you've described, it sounds extensive. Spending all your free time repairing major RV damage has a tendency to take all the fun out of RVing. I wish you the best with whatever you decide to do.

Kev

I too was reluctant too reply, but I think you need too slow down and think this through. Get a estimate to repair ALL the damage by a mobile repairman. 

It would be a waste of money to repair the roof and beam only to find more damage that would be more costly to repair. From what you have written the water has been leaking for a long time. Water leaks can migrate along beams and paneling a long ways and do damage along the way.
The only way to know where the water leak is is too start removing paneling, carpet, cabinets until you find dry wood.
I had a water leak in the bathroom of an RV and found the leak about 10 feet away. Very costly if you can't do the work yourself. Very time consuming to do yourself.

Hello Mom, I wouldn't give up but I would try to minimize my loss.  I appreciate your concern about passing on the TT problems to an unsuspecting buyer however there might be a buyer out there who has the knowledge and the resources to fix the TT.  I would try to cut my loss while still being honest.  I would not sink any more money into the TT.  For example, if someone was willing to pay you $2500 for TT in an as-in condition would you be wiling to take the loss and move on? 

Heck Yeah but I would have to be completely honest from
The getgo
Thank you everyone for all the advice because of your words of wisdom my husband is now on the same page with me of Walking away from this trailer. Thank you thank you thank you
:D

Mom,  that sounds like good news.  Just remember that when you sell your current trailer and get ready to buy your next trailer be sure to check in with the forum members before you buy.  I am amazed by, and grateful for, the wealth of knowledge and sincere advice that is available from long time forum members.

I know my husband and I might be in the minority, but since we were inexperienced, we decided that a very small payment on a travel trailer (TT) in new or excellent condition was a better option than sinking our cash into a never ending money pit.  It's been three years since we bought our TT and we haven't regretted our decision for a second.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom