!997 Beaver Patriot Info Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charliepace

I am looking at a 1997 Beaver Patriot 40' with 68K miles in a estate sale for $30k 2nd owner stored inside except for the last two years.  two yr old tires family says they have all service records and manuals photos look good.

I know Beaver made a great product, but I am not sure about 1997 with the bankruptcy and take over by SMC.  This motor home is about 300 miles from me and if it is a one of the good Beavers, I want to go look at it.

Any thoughts on this would most appreciated

Charliepace

The original Beaver was acquired by Monaco in 2000, and their (pre-2000) coaches were considered to be great products. OTOH those of us who own Monaco products believe that post 2000 Beavers were also good products.

There were a number of versions of the Patriot for that year, and NADA shows a range of 2:1 in the prices for the same year. Which one do you have? Remember not to check any of the options before requesting the price.

Meanwhile, NADA prices don't really reflect what RVs have sold for; They're apparently a simple depreciation calculation.

It's possible the folks selling it either don't know what it's worth, or are hoping a buyer doesn't know. OTOH there may be a loan left on it.

Safari (SMC) took over Beaver after the 1993 Beaver bankruptcy, so a '97 is beyond the immediate effects of the financial woes. Some old Beaver hands think that SMC started a downhill slide and Monaco finished it, but most people feel a '97 is a good solid coach. Certainly the famed Beaver cabinetry is present, even though I think it had moved onto a Safari Magnum chassis by then.

$25k-30k for a vintage diesel pusher is around the "floor price", i.e. they don't really depreciate below that if they run and the house is in living condition. Condition is everything in a used coach anyway. NADA values don't mean much for old models, especially the more desirable ones, and the online NADA guide makes no attempt to factor in market value - strictly depreciation (as Tom already stated). New tires (verify that!) and really clean condition could justify a $30k price, but I would probably make a lower offer and see what goes. Cash in hand usually talks loudly, so if you are prepared to make the commitment on the spot, you can probably deal a bit!

Thanks for the info guys I really like a lot about the older beavers, I just don't want buy the wrong one or pay too much, so I guess it's time to go look at it and drive it.

Attachments

• 00p0p_iVlfo5o2rxB_1200x900.jpg
    00p0p_iVlfo5o2rxB_1200x900.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 17
Do more research, including Craig's List, to determine going prices. But I suspect that Gary is correct (or close) with his "floor price". It wouldn't hurt to go low with your offer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom