question about dealer setting up the wdh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henkelphoto

Hi guys!

We're getting a new Keystone Hideout 177LHS in a few weeks. It will be the first time I've used a weight distribution hitch. The dealer (Camping World) says they will set up the hitch during the PDI. Now the trailer will be empty at that time, so would it be a good idea to ask the dealer to fill fresh/grey/black tanks with water to capacity to add some weight to the trailer or would it not make a big difference? For what it's worth, the tanks are all about 30 gallons and the freshwater tank (the only one which will be filled while driving) is in front of the single axle.

Thanks!

The weight of the trailer won't make a huge difference in the basic setup of the hitch.  It's understood that you'll be adding weight later, and depending on your CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) that probably would not be a huge percentage of your GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio) which is the max rated weight of your loaded trailer.

The weight distributing hitch WILL need to customized to your tow vehicle, so make sure YOU and IT (the vehicle) are on site too, so you can see how the hitch is adjusted and get an understanding of how it works.

Thanks!

Yes, I and the TV will be there for sure. I'll video record the guys as they set up the hitch so I'll know how to make changes later.

Filling the tanks is exactly what my dealer does. They figure it's the closest way for them to set the hitch correctly. Either way, you will probably have to make adjustments once you get the trailer loaded for your use. If you do have to adjust, follow the hitch AND the tow vehicle manufacturer"s recommendations.

The problem in adjusting the WD hitch is not so much total weight but balance, i.e. where the weight is located. The WD compensates for trailer tongue weight, so it makes a big difference where the weight is placed.  For example, if a water tank is behind the trailer axles, adding water actually tilts the trailer backwards and lifts weight from the tongue, but if the fresh tank is forward, then it adds weight. Ditto for where you place your gear, food, etc.

Make sure you get the instruction/owner manual for the WD hitch and try to watch closely as they do the adjustment, so you have an idea how to tune it up yourself later.  Dealers don't always do a great job getting the set-up perfect, plus you are probably going to change the weight distribution anyway.

Since the wdh setup will only be important when on the road, it seems to me that the weight/balance should approximate the conditions that you'll most often be in when traveling. Since we don't boondock, we almost always travel with almost empty tanks. That includes fresh water. Only about 20 gallons, enough to handle some toilet flushes and hand/face washing.
For us, storage compartment contents affect balance more than water.

I agree, but the dealer won't load the trailer the way you will, so filling all the tanks is the best they can do.

Howdy.  We're new to the forum as members, but I've gotten lots of good info as a guest and very much appreciate the knowledge and experience shared. We also had the dealer install a wdh on our tv when we bought our Sportcraft 27rl. At the time we were towing with a 2011 Tundra extra cab with the 4.6l engine. The dealer installed an Equilizer hitch which they also sell. Not having ever towed with a wdh, I was content to stand back and watch the techs do the install. Even though they took no measurements and "eyeballed" the setup, the truck seemed to pull the load just fine. We took a couple of shake-down trips with it before we traded up to a '16 Tundra with the 5.7. I hitched the trailer up to the new truck just as it had been set up at the dealer and checked the ground-to-fender well measurements as specified in the Equilizer owners manual and everything was within limits. We took several more shorter trips and one of 2000 miles and the setup seemed to be working well. The added horsepower from the 5.7 did make a big difference though. All that being said, comments from many of the folks here convinced me to take the rig to a scale and check it out. I was very surprised to find the weight on the drive axle was 3940lbs!  I was already over the posted max axle rating with an empty trailer. I also learned the front end was over 400lbs lighter with the trailer hooked up. I went back to the owners manual and completely readjusted the hitch (lowered the ball 3" and added 2 more washers to the head adjustment). Then I rechecked the ground to wheel well measurements and they were right on the button. Back to the scales yesterday and now the hitch weight is at 920 lbs, or around 12% of the gross trailer weight, my front end is only 80lbs lighter when hitched, and I've go a 500lb cushion on my rear axle max. So: pay close attention to how the wdh is setup at the dealer. You just may have to redo it. Thanks again for cluing me in on getting the rig weighed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom