94 Chevy G20 Conversion Van (New owner) - battery + heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kspr030

Hi
Just got me and the fam our very first ever (conversion) van and we are super excited.
I found a 1994 Chevy G20 Conversion Van, 1 owner, 70k miles. Looking super good, on the inside especially.

However, I'm new to this world and there are a handful of buttons and options on it of which I cant figure out what they are for or how it works.
I bought it from a car dealer that got it from an auction so they didn't know. I already when to Car Toys and a Chevy dealer and they have a hard time also.

So I would hoping any of you could help me with the following questions:

- What battery does the Low Voltage Warning indicator relate too? Just the car battery? Or might there be an additional RV Battery? How can I find out?
- And how I know if the indicator works?
- What stuff can you typically keep on (for how long) without draining actual car battery?
- What is the "LCM" switch in the back off the van (see photo attached)? Is that for a heater?
- What is the black unit with wires in there on the right side of the cargo area. Is that the heater? Can (should it work) this run without the engine being on and say stay on all night?
- What does the Power Button in the back of the van control? (see photo attached).

Thank you so much for your help

Kaspar

Attachments

• IMG_5722.JPG
    IMG_5722.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5723.JPG
    IMG_5723.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5724.JPG
    IMG_5724.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5734.JPG
    IMG_5734.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 11
Have you looked under the hood yet? you may have a battery at each side of the engine above each fender well. I would expect at least two, one for the chassis and one for the house, don't use a "car starting battery" for the house, you need a deep discharge type for that and preferably two for the house to extend the total depth of charge.>>>Dan

I could only find 1 under the hood. And assuming its not fully hiding as a battery needs to breath and be accessible, I actually think I may only have 1 battery, the actual car one.

...and be accessible,

Well, that news hasn't reached most RV manufacturers yet!  ;)

But you are probably right about your conversion van having just one battery. It's one of the oft-common differences between a conversion van and a motorhome.

Kspr030 said:
I could only find 1 under the hood. And assuming its not fully hiding as a battery needs to breath and be accessible, I actually think I may only have 1 battery, the actual car one.

Disconnect the ground wire from the battery then go around turning  on different things like lights, vent fan, range hood, fridge, water heater etc. You'll know right away whether you should continue looking for a second battery.  :D

You should probably ask this questions in the Van Conversions section of the forum:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/board,10.0.html
Len and Jo and some other forum members own similar vans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom