WiFi connection sporadic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phroggie

When we go to campgrounds with wifi throughout the grounds it always seems like the connection is very slow and we sporadically lose the connection.  My question is this, does anyone know of a wifi booster that might be available for purchase that I can put in my camper to boost the signal?  Is there even such a thing as a "booster"?

Thanks,  Glenn

I don't think the issue is signal strength but more to do with capacity of the router system
we use wifi regularly in cg's and the "fastest" time of day is usually late at night or early in the morning when kids are still asleep!

having said that, some cg's are far better than others.

Actually you probably have both issues, wifi signal and a lack of speed/capacity in the campgrounds internet connection. You can help the wifi signal, but not the park's internet speed.

You need a more powerful wifi radio, either a stronger wifi adapter if its a PC, or a booster amp.  I use a Crane SuperUSB Wifi antenna with my PC; it plugs into a USB port. For phones/tablets and laptops with built-in wifi, try something like the Jefatech Wifi repeater:
http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-KIT-REPEATER/Long-Range-WiFi-Repeater-Kit-for-RVs.html

Thanks Steven, I have noticed that it seems better first thing in the morning. If figured it was just busy during the day.

Gary,  I just looked at the link you sent me that looks like a viable solution. Can you tell me if the antenna is a permenant mount or not?  Also is there a cable running from the antenna into the camper and what do you do with that just run it through a window or something like that? Which antenna do you recommend, the 8 or the

Thanks again,
Glenn

I don't have the Jefatech, so don't have the details. Usually an antenna can be mounted on something like a pvc pipe or whatever and propped up outside. Higher is usually better. Running cable in through a window or the edge of a slide room is easy enough - I've done that with my SuperUSB antenna at times, and also cell phone antennas. I have a cell phone booster mounted right now, using a 1.25" pvc pipe for a mast (tied to my rear ladder) and coax in through a window.

Obviously the 15 dB antenna has more range/sensitivity than the 8 dB model, but whether it is worth the extra cost depends on how much you need. Once the signal is "good enough", more doesn't really help.

Here are some other range extenders:
https://wifiranger.com/
https://www.amazon.com/AllPro-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-Hotspot/dp/B00LGZN47E

Most RV park wifi/internet is disappointing no matter what you do.

There are several issues with Campground Wi-Fi
First: There tends to be not enough of it.. Today we see threads all over the place "We want to stream Net-Flix" or "How about a Sling-Box"  These services can suck up to a gig an hour of bandwidth (more actually) and this is not even close to the long list of such services.. Plus on line interactive graphic intensive games.
I do admit I'm tossing 1 gig per hour around here in the motor home just now but its' not via the park router.. I'm tossing it from the bedroom to the great room so it only hits my LAN.. (Strange that feature has not worked for several months.. Just started again last week.. New server computer.. Wondering if the old one had an issue. Even though the server is not involved in the stream.

Plus more and more people using Wi-Fi. not all parks have "Industrial" level hardware.. I know one park where not only was the router a simple LINKSYS Home/small office unit (limit of 50 DHCP clients) but they had done nothing but take it out of the box and plug it in,, Password was still admin, still on channel 6  I upped it to 100 clients but still not enough..    I would help folks connect by using Static IP on their comptuers... One woman ask why we had to do that. I told her that in addition tot he laptops which were common when they plugged it in we now have PDA's and Game machiens and oh, here's one Susie's I-Phone.... Her name was, of course Susie. Her phone.

That is why it is slow.. Not enough bandwidth

Why is it flakey  Wi-Fi is not designed to operate over hundreds of yards.. park where I am now is supposed to get another extender.. Today.. (Yesterday actually but something came up)  Will it help?  I do not know  But I suspect not since the problem here is router overload as well.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Most RV park wifi/internet is disappointing no matter what you do.

As someone who works for one of the companies that makes this kind of hardware (WiFiRanger) I can honestly say that the quality of wifi in some (many?) parks is improving (slowly). Younger park owners seem to be getting the message that wifi connectivity is very important to their customers, particularly families with children with lots of web-enabled devices. 

I've been in parks with wifi good enough to stream video on that was managed in such a way that one person's usage didn't affect others.  Are  such parks common? The answer is definitely NO.  But I fully expect that there will be more of them in the not so distant future.  What it takes are park owners who realize that having high quality internet available can be a discriminator for their parks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom