a mini-rally sans rigs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougJ

My wife, Peg, and I are reporting that today we were the object of a generous display of hospitality by the Lassens, MarshAnn and Tim.

They live in Bonsal which is not too far south of Temecula, CA; we are spending six weeks at Sunland park in Hemet.  We got together for lunch in Old Town, Temecula, after which we did a tour of the Temecula wine country.

We are making a day trip to Anza Borrego so were glad to pick their brains on a routing as well as where, near Julian, is the best bakery in southern Cal.

We tried to persuade them to commit to coming north this summer to the Vancouver area--now we can only wait to see how the future unfolds.

Anyway, Tim & Marsha, thanks for a lovely lunch, conversation, and a bunch of laughs.

Ciao,

Peggy & Doug

Hi Peggy & Doug,

Hope you enjoyed the Anza Borrego area. As you know one of my favorite photos was from that area when all the wild flowers were in bloom. I know Marsha & Tim take their horses to the camp up the valley from where we stay. It is one of our favorite stops when out west.

Yes, I recall that you've captured some lovely images both at Anza Borrego and Death Valley. 

Tim and Marsha were there (Anz Borrego) yesterday for a horse event and we'll go tomorrow.  Sad to say, Marsha says we're way too early for any flowers in the desert. But, I'm hoping :).

Ciao,

Doug

When asked what would be a good time to visit Death Valley and the desert to view the wildflowers, a Death Valley ranger replied "some other year." Seems the conditions haven't been great for wildflowers.

Wendy, the ranger was right.  Two years ago we went in January and they said it was a "once in 50 years" bloom.  By March that had been revised to "once in 100 years" bloom.  But that was a very wet year and this has been a very dry year.  Our trees in LV are finally starting to bloom and our roses are beginning to show leaves, but not much else.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Two years ago we went in January and they said it was a "once in 50 years" bloom.  By March that had been revised to "once in 100 years" bloom.  But that was a very wet year a

ArdraF

We were there in 2005....it was a once in a lifetime bloom, put to shame other years that we had thought were great bloom years. Folks who were there to see it were incredibly lucky, even the ones who didn't know how lucky they were. Guess this year people will just have to look harder to find the beauty in the desert.

Wendy
Navajo National Monument

DougJ said:
Yes, I recall that you've captured some lovely images both at Anza Borrego and Death Valley. 

Tim and Marsha were there (Anz Borrego) yesterday for a horse event and we'll go tomorrow.  Sad to say, Marsha says we're way too early for any flowers in the desert. But, I'm hoping :).

Ciao,

Doug

Guess you'll have to schedule another trip. :) Unfortunately the blooms on the desert are subject to weather conditions throughout the year so one never knows when it might be good. We were extremely lucky to capture what we did. I won't hold my breath for the next "happening". ;D

Guess you'll have to schedule another trip.

Well, to steal a line from the song, _Send in the Clowns_, "well, may be next year."

Ciao,

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom