Honda CRV VS Jeep Liberty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe Bee

I am looking at both cars.  Both are smaller SUV's and can be towed all 4 down w/ 4 wheel drive.  Any suggestions??  The Honda is selling at List Price (no discount off of MSRP.)  Jeep Liberty has $3,000 rebate before any negotiation.  $25,000 vs 22,000.
Joe Bee

Depends what your intended uses are. If you plan on joining us on an off road trip then the Jeep is the only real choice.  I don't believe the CRV has transfer case so its limited in what it can do.  We do go off road in our Jeep GC all the time.  The 4WD Jeeps are certified HRV/s.  Jeep owners manual contains the instructions for towing. No modes are required other than adding the tow bar and wiring for lights.  Also no speed or distance restrictions while towing.  Personally I recommend the Jeep but the we have owned 6 different Jeeps over the years and still have the 73 pickup we bought new along with the GC.

Another vote for the Jeep! I have owned and towed 3 Jeeps over the years and never had a problem with any of them, Last one had 17000 miles on it and had been towed another 40000 miles with no trouble. This one is pushing 75000 and been towed at least 8000 miles as I did not tow it till last year still no problems.   Old Jeep is still being towed sold it to a friend of mine he loves it  for my money Jeep is the way.

Earl

If you plan to offroad, neither.  In the Jeep lineup, the Liberty is the least capable offroad.  But since you are also considering the CRV, my guess is that you are not considering offroading it.  The Jeep may be 3000$ cheaper now, but the CRV will be 8000$ more when you sell it.

I looked online and the most expensive 2002 Liberty was 11500$ and the most expensive 2002 CRV was 20000$.  Plus think how much you will save on gas with a Honda VS a Jeep.

The CRV took the highest safety ratings.  To me, having been cut out of a crashed vehicle, that is important.

The CRV is one of the most popular vehicles in America and excellent quality as well. And it does have all wheel drive, though not a "real" 4WD system like the Jeeps. A CRV would handle most any back country trip you are likely to take, but it isn't intended for driving through rivers or mud bogs. But then, neither am I.  ;)

Either vehicle would be an excellent choice. If the upfront money is important, take the Liberty. Or if real offroad capability is needed, definitely take the Liberty - you can't beat a Jeep offroad.  But the CRV is likely to have a lower totaacost of ownership, e.g. a high resale value and excellent fuel economy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom