EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: WiFi  (Read 3894 times)

johnaye

• ---
Re: WiFi
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2016, 07:51:47 PM »
Last year we covered 26 states in 90 days.  I always tried to go to a campground that had WiFi.  I quickly learned to ask if WiFi was at the campsites or only at the office.  Even if they claimed to have WiFi at the camp sites the speed often made it unusable.  I ended up using my phone a lot as a hot spot, but that means no streaming.  One thing to do is check reviews of the campground and see if WiFi is mentioned.  The thing all of us can do is when we review campgrounds comment on WiFi.
John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
2008 Honda CRV

legrandnormand

• ---
  • Retired and enjoying it since 1995
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2016, 08:54:55 PM »
Hey, where I am they just upgraded.. now my hardware has it's limits but here is my setup
Linksys WGA 54G Wireless Game Adapter feeding a BELKIN Router  (This way I take only one "Share" from the park)

I ran a speed test at oh dark 30 this morning. Wi-Fi park to Linksys WGA.  Cat-5 to Router, Wi-Fi to Android device running OOKLA Speed test 607 down 422 Up Ping 27mS (Speed are KB (Thousand bytes) per second)

He still has issues, but nothing worth going out of my way to talk to him over"(When they did the upgrade half the nodes became "Secure" and nobody knows the key.)

That is much slower then a cellular service or any MyFi card that I have used to connect.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:56:51 PM by legrandnormand »
Normand
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
2010 Gulfstream Independance, model 8367
2009 Smart Cabriolet

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 06:57:42 AM »
I agree it is slower than 4Glte (Which I get outside the park) but for RV park Wi-Fi, it's fast.

And remember these are Wi-Fi speeds. if I go to the office and plug in it's much faster.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Irover

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 08:56:36 AM »
Well, when we were young, we hiked twenty miles through snow to get a signal.  Sometimes we crawled across the desert to get a signal.  Time marches on.  You "youngsters" will eventually find yourselves either out of the technological loop or fighting to understand what future youngsters are talking about.  Wish I could be around to watch and listen.  ;D ;D ;D

My Feelings Exactly! ;D ;D
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

Right Wing Wacko

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2016, 02:43:03 PM »
I quite often camp where there is no WiFi and my Cellular connection is worthless.   

This is where Redbox comes in handy.  It doesn't get you news or email, but at least you can have some movies.

For about a buck/day each you can rent several DVD's or Blu-Rays, and take them with you.  No need to return them to the same kiosk you rented them from, any Redbox will do.   I've rented DVD's in Washington and returned them in Montana.  They don't care where you return them as long as you do.
--
Fleetwood Jamboree Class C

Free Spirit

• ---
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »

No wonder that campings are now charging for WI-FI since some people like you watch TV on it ! :(
WI-FI is to get your e-mails and to answer them and to read newspapers ... NOT TO WATCH TV>:(
Buy yourself a satellite dish if you want watch your tv programs !

I didn't mean to get your panties in a wad, but I guess 'people like me' have a habit of doing that.
If you dont want to pay extra for it, dont get it. Sounds simple enough.
Thanks for the hint about a satellite dish, I never would have thought of that on my own.
TonyB
Retired and full time living aboard our Denali 293RKS. We plan to start serious cruising around mid-Jan of 2017
Don't know much about RV"s in general and are still learning. First lesson learned is that dealerships are not responsible for anything and warranties can be used for toilet paper

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 04:44:43 PM »
One campground I know of has over 700 sites, it's a "Youth Friendly" park, he has 3 max speed cable modems with assoicated hardware and they still can't meet the demand for streaming video.

Next step is to block those sites in hardware.. I expect it to happen.. Won't bother me one byte. (I only stream about 5 hours a month and I can go to town and use my own bandwidth for those).. but it is a problem.

In the early days they had just one line, and a linksys router, did not even change the SSID.. Well finally they changed the SSID but not the ADMIN password... So after a few days of converting users to STATIC IP and showing them how to switch back.. I upped the client count from 50 (Default) to 100.. .Still had to help folks, just not as many.. Was explaining to one young lady and I pulled the DHCP client list.. "Suzzie's I phone"   I'd not ask her name.. Suzzie... of course.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2017, 05:30:03 PM »
We're currently at James Island County Park campground near Charleston, SC. We use our own Verizon and AT&T hotspots for streaming and all other Internet access, plus VOIP phone service, but I just tested the park provided free WiFi availabke at all 125 campsites and 10 cabins, and found it reasonably good compared to most other parks I've tested at 2.90Mbps down and 0.65Mbps up.

(http://www.speedtest.net/result/6187911907.png)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:32:39 PM by NY_Dutch »
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Sultan1966

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
We Never rely on "free" wifi here..as nothing is truely "free" :sidenote: if I was young I would have a "field day" with those using "free" wifi....all those open unsecured packets of data!!! For security I use VPN ($29yr) and Unlimited Verizon Mifi which we use to 100GB+ a month @ $180 a month and the data I pay for on our phones..nothing else.

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2017, 10:14:57 PM »
It is very rare to find an RV park with a wifi system that can be used to stream TV or YouTube video.  Even the best ones will have enough use to use up most of the bandwith during the evening hours.  Late at night and early in the morning is the only time that's possible.  We've had pretty good luck checking e-mail and looking at newspapers, which is our main use for the service.
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2017, 07:08:52 AM »
One of the joys of being here at the shop is an internet TV show called Ham Nation.. Since it's the shop and since at 9pm Eastern he's not using all that much bandwidth.. I've actually logged in as the show is being recorded.. Do that and there is an IRC you can log into with either another window or in my case a different comupter and you can "Chat" with other live viewers and one of the show hosts.

Hosted by Over The Network