Unexpected Life hiccup - must make change asap and need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bghouse

Well, as it tends to happen - life has thrown me another curve ball.  If you had told me my years between 45 and 50 would be this tumultuous, I would have never believed it. 

I was given a surprise last Friday with a $300 a month rent increase!!  To say I cant afford this would be an understatement.  So, I can no longer sit in limbo and just coast along, I must make a change.

I was downsized from my corporate job a few years ago, and I've been working to build my own business.  I need to be able to focus on that without the drama and worrying about making ends meet all the time.  This requires me staying in place for a while, and requires good internet access (I'm a web developer).

At this point, I'm pretty sold on purchasing a lightweight travel trailer and putting it in an RV park that accepts fulltime and provides for internet at the site.  I'm looking at a lightweight TT so that when I am ready to travel, I can purchase a smaller 1/2 ton truck.  For now though, I will have the dealer deliver and setup.

I realize that this will offend some people's sensibilities, and they'll wonder why I would purchase an RV and not immediately take off on the road.  I get it, but I have my reasons, and no - there are no mobile homes available around me that I could afford or that are in places I would feel secure enough to live in alone.

What I need is recommendations on the TT manufacturers that are constructed well enough to be full time without moving and can handle the winters in Washington State or the Oregon Coast (I haven't decided which will be my home yet, checking out RV parks). 

I have so far looked at the Highland RV models at a dealer near me.  I believe Jayco models would also be okay??

I'm going to be on the Oregon coast for 2 weeks and was planning to go to GuarantyRV.  They seem to carry Heartland, Coachman, Northwood and Cruiser RV as their main TTs.  I'm starting to research them online, but if anyone has some advice on their suitability it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Northwoods would be the best of what you have listed. If you decide to go that route, you may also consider skirting around the trailer. That is probably one of the best ways to help you out during freezing weather.
Also-Welcome to the site! There's lots of great folks here to help. It would be advised to look through the "library" and "resources" tabs above. There is a lot of good information there.

Thanks kdbgoat.  I've been reading and watching videos on the Northwoods - wow!

Off to the library here for more reading :)

Why purchase a TT or 5ER today and plan on using it for retirement in 5-10 years?
Well.. Unlike a class A TT's don't mind sitting for long periods of time.. Oh the tires dry rot, and you have to re-pack the bearings before you hit the road again but frankly.. this is all routine maintenance.

But the class A the motor sizes up, gas goes bad, Diesel grows algae. and you have a mess.. In addition to dry rot tires and bearing repacks (like I said those last 2 are routine mantanence).

I think the folks calling you crazy are the ones who are crazy.  You are the sane one.

Thanks John - needed to hear that for sure :)

Now if I can find a long term park ....

Are you really going to be saving money by buying a TT and then paying rent in a RV park? I am not asking you to give us your financials, but RVing may not be less expensive when you factor in rent and metered electric. And some parks have you pay for your cable and internet through the provider.

Just food for thought.

Hi Moebius,

Yes, buying the trailer it definitely cheaper.  My month rent is now $1300 a month, plus another $100 for electricity and another $75 for internet.

The RV parks I am looking at are $400 - $500 a month, separate electricity and separate internet.  Substantial savings for me this route for sure.

I've been searching from the Canada border down to the California border on the coast, and the best I'm finding for rent without going into completely unsafe areas is about $975 a month base rent for a 1bd.  I save even if I stay in Washington and move to the RV, even more if I go back to Oregon. 

Question:  How do I determine if I need a 4 seasons trailer? 

I'm planning to either be in Western Washington or on the Oregon Coast.  I have seen snow in both places, barely - lol.  Lots of rain.  Highs up to the 90's experienced in Washington, not on the Oregon Coast.  Lowest winter temps have been dipping just low enough for some snow - hahaha.

So, do I need to spend the extra for these All Seasons / 4 Season construction packages?

Sorry to say NO, any RV is built for 3 seasons, forget about living in them in freezing weather.
You might look at mobile homes that are built for 4 seasons and you can get a 50-60 footer for the price of a 30 foot trailer.

Watch prices at Guaranty.  I have looked over the past year, and compared with other places (not in Oregon)...they are way high.  Even if you buy elsewhere, you can pay someone to haul it to wherever you want to set up.

bghouse said:
Question:  How do I determine if I need a 4 seasons trailer? 

I'm planning to either be in Western Washington or on the Oregon Coast.  I have seen snow in both places, barely - lol.  Lots of rain.  Highs up to the 90's experienced in Washington, not on the Oregon Coast.  Lowest winter temps have been dipping just low enough for some snow - hahaha.

So, do I need to spend the extra for these All Seasons / 4 Season construction packages?

Just about anytime one uses an RV out of the spring and fall seasons, the supposed 4 seasons RV's will be an advantage. The extra insulation that helps with the heating load also helps when running the A/C in hot weather. There just isn't an RV that is insulated and sealed as well as a house, it's just the nature of the beast. I think what people want to to realize is costs quite a bit to heat an RV during spells of cold weather. If it's above freezing, one can heat with electric heaters or supplemental heat only which is probably cheaper than using the factory installed furnace. The factory installed furnace is notoriously inefficient, blowing as much heat outside as in. In freezing weather, the factory furnace must be used as that is what helps keep your water system from freezing. People live in RV's during freezing weather all the time, but you just need to be aware of what you are up against. Also the "4 seasons package" isn't the same from brand to brand, so research to see exactly what you are getting in that package. And don't believe what fluff the salesman is handing you either. Do your own research.

do I need to spend the extra for these All Seasons / 4 Season construction packages?

Depends on the price for the option, but I think it is probably worthwhile, in both winter and summer.  You generally find this option on low end models that are designed strictly for summer use in moderate climates. Mid & upper grade models usually have better insulation, dual pane glass, etc. anyway.

Winter living in any RV is not easy, but in the NW coastal area winters are probably mild. Even the best made RVs are rarely as comfortable as a stick house in cold weather. The reasons are numerous and largely inherent in the fact it is an RV: walls are thin, there is a lot of glass vs wall space, every wall in a cold exterior wall and close to the occupants, the underside is wide open, seals around slides leak chilly air, etc. etc. etc.

Also DON'T re lie on RV park wifi for any useful purpose, it will usually be weak, overloaded,  or throttled to prevent streaming and so forth .>>>Dan

Light weight trailers pose two major problems.  One is quality/durability over the long term.  The second is heating and cooling issues.  During the winter even on the coast you will hurn a lot of BTUs to keep warm.  Light weight trailers tend to have less insulation, smaller appliances like furnaces, so you will be using a lot of something trying to keep warm.  Start looking at a 2500/3500 series truck and pick a decent quality trailer.  Northwood would be one of my first choices.  But they are heavy and all buy their smallest models will require at least a 2500 series truck to pull them.

Thank you so much for all the great advice. 

Does anyone know how I can ballpark my insurance?  I've tried to see if I can do this online and get some ballparks, but everyone needs specifics first.

Is going through Good Sam Club for insurance a good idea?

Am I looking at $50 a month or $500 a month - I have no frame of reference :)

While doing your research, you might check on Artic Fox trailers.  We see a lot of them here in Oregon.

A TT is going to be relatively cheap to insure. A motorized unit is a lot more. I am currently insuring a 40' Jayco Bungalow for about $65 a month from Progressive.  They just don't cost as much to replace as a RV sitting on an automotive chassis.

Is going through Good Sam Club for insurance a good idea?

Not especially - they are just one of many agencies that handle RV insurance, and they only deal with one insurer (National General, last I knew). Think about the coverages you want. i.e. collision damage, comprehensive fire & theft, personal property (all your belongings will be in the RV!, and maybe some personal liability coverage in case somebody gets injured as a result of your negligence.  Then get multiple quotes from various insurers. Most major vehicle insurers offer RV policies, but rates vary widely on an individual basis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom