Unexpected Life hiccup - must make change asap and need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the great advice again :)

Are there any insurance carriers that are more friendly to living full time in the RV?

And the Arctic Fox is definitely on my list - just need to see them in person. 

Thanks for the warning about Guaranty RV prices.  I know they have the Arctic Fox trailers in stock, so a big reason I want to go there.

As for hauling where I want, I thought I had to at least be in the same state to get the unit delivered and setup.  Could I really purchase up here in Washington and have someone pull it down to the Oregon coast and setup for me?  If so, that's really interesting in terms of opportunities for more dealerships.

Thunder RV in LaGrande is about as close to the factory as you can get.  Their prices aremusually about the best around.  But Apache camping centers are a real close second. Thunder usually has a pretty large inventory to look at.

I-5 RV in Sutherlin carries Arctic Fox.  Might be a good source to price check vs. Guaranty RV.  We've had repairs done at I-5 and have bought supplies there.  Have never purchased an RV from them so don't know if they're competitive on sale price.

I'm wondering why you are looking at new TT's.  There are tons of used travel trailers out there that are very clean...  Save even more money.

Robin

Thank you, I'll definitely check out those dealers.

As for why I'm looking at new, I'm not limiting myself new or used.  If I had a long time to make this decision and could afford to go lots of different places hunting down used RVs, then yes it would save me money.  But saving money for me is not just about the cost of the trailer - there are monetary ramifications to continuing to stay where I am and also the money lost while I'm not working and hunting down RVs.

Dealers are also a good way to see lots of units at once to get an idea of what floorplans really work for me.  Since I am not traveling, and living in this full time, and work from home so need to make an office space - getting the right floorplan is crucial.

I'd love it if a late model slightly used rig with the exact floorplan I need would appear in the next 4 weeks within a 2 - 4 hour driving distance that saved me oodles of money.  But it's probably prudent to have a backup plan in case the universe cant quite make that happen :)

bghouse said:
I'd love it if a late model slightly used rig with the exact floorplan I need would appear in the next 4 weeks within a 2 - 4 hour driving distance that saved me oodles of money.  But it's probably prudent to have a backup plan in case the universe cant quite make that happen :)

I would guess that if you went to 4 or 5 big dealers in your area, you'd probably find a used one that would be perfect for you. There are so many used one's out there. Also, it's getting close to winter (YUK) coming around and you may start seeing good deals on a used one because they want to move them before winter.

This is house-hunting - you need to see what is out there.  Just get out and look at as many as you can, without regard to brand or type or new vs sued. Figure out that will work well for your needs and buy it.  Don't grab the first one you see that looks OK, either. There is always an even better one down the road a piece.

One piece of advice: most newcomers to RVs buy too small. It's really impressive how much stuff is packed into a small space, but that compactness gets old in a hurry when you endure it 24/7/365.  Especially if you want space to work as well as live.

You need to get fulltimer's insurance, not just RV insurance.  It includes the sort of liability insurance that usually comes with homeowner's or renter's insurance.  And be mindful of how much personal property is covered.  It adds up really fast, and there are limits on individual items (the personal property coverage on my policy doesn't cover anything that is worth over $500, and it's not that they won't pay anything over $500--that item simply isn't included and has to be insured separately, which isn't expensive but a trap for the unwary).

There are only a few companies that offer fulltimer's, and it depends on what state the RV is registered in.  Miller Insurance in Lake Oswego, Oregon, is a popular broker, although I left after two separate pretty bad customer service incidents.  Geico and Progressive offer fulltimer's insurance.  I'm currently using Thum Insurance, with a policy by Blue Sky.  So far all they've done is take my money and issue my policy and all if good (but that's really all I was wanting from Miller, come to think of it, and they fell short). 

I would guess that you're more in the $100-$200/month than $500/month territory, but it definitely varies.  As far as I know, the insurance on the RV itself is based on the value of the RV, but I can't say for sure.  I do know that when the value of my RV went down due to depreciation, my premium went down.

I've been fulltiming since 2003 and spent two winters in the Pacific Northwest.  Yes, the temperatures don't dip very low in the winter, but they never get very high, and you don't get any warming from the sun.  (I've also spent winters in Denver, and even when it was in the 40s outside, I'd have to open the windows because it got so hot in here from the sun beating on the windshield of my motorhome--that never happened in Portland or Seattle.)

I have a 40-foot motorhome with allegedly good insulation and double-pane windows and I don't think it ever felt cozy in the winter up there.  When I'd run the propane furnace, I'd get a blast of hot air, and when it cycled off, it would be drafty within minutes.  For that reason, I prefer using several small electric heaters, but it adds up quickly if you're paying for electricity.  (And I'd have to make sure to have one near the water pump and water lines in the basement if it was going to be below freezing for any length of time.)

I can't believe that it will be any better in a travel trailer. 

The good news is that in Washington, especially, electricity is relatively cheap per kilowatt hour.  But you'll be using a lot of those kwhs--way more than in an apartment or possibly even a house.  I'm serious.

And I agree with others who cautioned about relying on an RV park's wifi if you're using it for work.  If you're staying long term, the park might have it set up so you can get your own connection, but of course you'll have to pay for it.

I don't know...between the increased electricity costs that come with living in a travel trailer and the additional insurance, and accounting for possible repairs to the trailer you'll have to pay for, you're getting on up there toward what it would cost you to live in a 1-bedroom apartment.  Since you're staying put for a while anyway, I think it's a pretty close call.

My wife and I camp through the winter in an Arctic Fox, it did just fine the few times the temp got to around -5. The big difference is research. You can save a lot of headaches just by checking out forums/ YouTube and skip the hard way learning curve. RV park wifi seams always spotty at best. Service through a cable would be the way to go if you need consistency and bandwidth.

We are very pleased with Northwoods manufacturing and are probably going to buy a Nash25C. Best of luck.

Do yourself a favor and buy the Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Comparison Guide by Randall Eaton. $70 but well worth it. He rates every manufacturer currently building trailers and fifth wheels back 10 years and he covers everything like construction, dependability, customer satisfaction, payload ratings, design & style, dealer ratings and many other things. Best $70 I ever spent!

I don't own a TT yet, but plan to fulltime and Outdoors RV and Northwoods are my best choices for what I want.  However I googled for Roughneck and here is one nice example.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trailer-camper/calgary/2014-roughneck-camper-trailer-by-general-coach/1218203093?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

80,000 BTU furnace.  Yikes!  60 gal (not lbs) propane capacity I think.

Don't know the weight but I think they may likely require at least a 1 ton truck for towing  You are close enough to BC and Alberta that finding a used one may be feasible.

Back
Top Bottom