"Drive In" Site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeagleDad

We purchased the Keystone Passport 2520RL and we have our first couple of trips booked.  Our first weekend is in nearby Gettysburg and I booked a pull-through site so I can get used to pulling this a little bit before I need to back in to a site.  For Labor Day we will be off to West Virginia.  The site I booked is listed as "Drive In".  What exactly does that mean?  Do I pull straight in and then back up to leave?  Sorry for the obvious rookie question!

Attachments

• Drive In Site.PNG
    Drive In Site.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 61
To me that indicates a pull thru.  Suggest you find an empty parking lot and practice backing up.  Remember, when backing place your hand at the bottom of the stearing wheel and turn in the direction you want the trailer to go.

I have identified the parking lot and plan on practicing as soon as I take delivery!  Then I have to back it in to my storage site.  But then I shouldn't have too much of an audience!

That picture looks like a standard back in site. It could mean they mean drive-in as opposed to walk-in, where you have to pack your gear in on foot.

We are hosts in a USFS campground. In our campground we have pull-through sites, back-in sites, and pull-in (drive-in) sites. A pull-in site is oriented to the one-way traffic flow so that it is better-suited for a motorhome to drive in rather than a trailer. A motorhome can drive into the pull-in site and have the door facing the site?s picnic table and firepit. A truck/trailer would have to go the wrong way to be able to back into the pull-in site and would end up with the trailer door on the opposite side as the table. A back-in site puts the trailer door on the table side.

Before booking a site, I like to look at the campground on Google Earth.  Then you can check it out first. it usually isn't too hard to match what you see on google Earth to the map of the campground.

You should call the campground and ask. It maybe a pull in and you will have to back out depends on what they want to call it there are conventions but no real rules on what to call things like this. Just like finding out what they think "spacious" or "easy" means.

you really need to learn to backup into a site/driveway etc etc

its not difficult, I tell my wife to picture driving the trailer as if it where a 4 wheeled vehicle and the "front wheels" are the truck

as said before, find an empty parking lot, practise backing up in a straight line first, use your mirrors, watch the driver's side wheels of the trailer.  practise along side a curb so you have a point of reference, curb on the driver's side is easjer.

Drive In sites are not common but we were just at had about 30% drive in sites. These are really designed to be used by Motorhomes, not not a truck pulling a trailer, because on many sites it would be difficult or impossible to unhook the truck and get it out of the site. I would call the Campground and ask about the site.

ken

BeagleDad said:
We purchased the Keystone Passport 2520RL and we have our first couple of trips booked.  Our first weekend is in nearby Gettysburg and I booked a pull-through site so I can get used to pulling this a little bit before I need to back in to a site.  For Labor Day we will be off to West Virginia.  The site I booked is listed as "Drive In".  What exactly does that mean?  Do I pull straight in and then back up to leave?  Sorry for the obvious rookie question!

Randy and Brenda,
It looks to like you are staying at SWALLOW FALLS STATE PARK, MD. I looked at it on line and the sites are very wooded and there is  quite a distance from the backside of your site to the road out back where there will be other sites so this is not a what we call a pull through site. Which means drive in and straight thru to drive out.  So it looks like you'll have to drive in and back out. Hopefully you'll have enough room to disconnect your truck. Or just leave it connected and make sure you have enough hose/extension cords etc.  Your site is 42 so I hope I can download the map here:

http://reservations.dnr.state.md.us/camping/map_of_Swallow_Falls_State_Park/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=MD&parkId=380531

That was good detective work!  I will call them this morning and see if I am biting off more than I can chew.  Thanks!

I called the campground and they tell me it is a back-in site.  So, I should be good...in theory...

BeagleDad said:
That was good detective work!  I will call them this morning and see if I am biting off more than I can chew.  Thanks!

It's amazing what you can find on line. I just googled Garrett Loop at a campground and found it.  :D ;) :)

cadee2c said:
That picture looks like a standard back in site. It could mean they mean drive-in as opposed to walk-in, where you have to pack your gear in on foot.
Caryl hit the nail on the head. When we stay at NY State campgrounds we book through ReserveAmerica and they provide the same type of picture you posted. It's the actual access to the site - drive in, walk/hike, boat only, etc. - not the type of site itself.

BeagleDad said:
I have identified the parking lot and plan on practicing as soon as I take delivery!  Then I have to back it in to my storage site.  But then I shouldn't have too much of an audience!

There are a lot of tips that can be found on this site.  There are some good YouTube videos that can help too (I like these sites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSyylWzrOX0&index=12&list=PL90E8009ADFC48C0F, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw5WYtMXQ799GErKpvR_5Rw.  I would agree with a statement I have read/heard that TTs are easier to back up than a small 8 ft. trailer - has to do with the size and wheelbase.

My wife and I use walkie-talkies (a tip I picked up here [check the Library link above] and on YouTube) - I set my walkie talkie down in the TV so both hands are free to manage the steering wheel and I listen while my wife keeps the mic constantly "keyed open" on hers while spotting so I can hear everything she says - this avoids the sudden surprise "stop!" command and the word comes out before the mic is keyed.  We have a basic rule to always have a spotter behind the TT when backing or maneuvering in tight locations (e.g. gas stations) - we paid too much for this thing to take any chances and we don't care what it looks like or what others might say about us. Calm, Confidence and Patience are important - waiting for an opening or other vehicles to move away (from the pumps) should not put any pressure on you. RVing is supposed to be enjoyable - I actually enjoy driving with our TT. I asked on here and have found from personal experience that "at the end of the day" we average just under 50 miles per hour when taking the total miles driven and the total travel time even though we were traveling 65 MPH on mostly Interstate. This is due to the time needed to be deliberate and safe when refueling, rest breaks etc.

I would be more concerned with being aware and comfortable with turning while moving forward, especially on the right side that is harder to see in your mirrors. You can look out your driver's side window for slow speed left turns if necessary (keep this in mind as you contemplate areas you are entering/parking/pulling up to "back in," etc.). Remember the TT will track in a shorter turning radius and will not follow your TV wheel tracks - start watching the 18 wheelers and note what they do - you will not have to do exactly what they do because they are much longer and their trailer wheels are much closer to the rear of their trailers but you need to allow for plenty of room when turning for the inside radius of your TT. I have found that others on the road are very accommodating when they see you are in a tight turn.  Be most cautious with the right turn from a stop sign/light and your right TT wheels on the curb or other objects near the curb. 

You can do it - it is fun!

Thanks Karen/Kyle!  I look forward to posting results of our first adventure!

I discovered Long Long Honeymoon last week.  I've learned a lot - now let's see if I can put that education to work in the real world!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom