Possible fraudulent double-billing - Sellers Petroleum, Yuma AZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
On December 7, 2006 I purchased $32 worth of LP at Sellers Petroleum in Yuma. My Wells Fargo account was charged for that amount on December 11, 2006. In reviewing current charges, this same $32 charge shows up again, charged against my account on the 23rd of this month, referencing the purchase as being made on December 7. I know I didn't fill my propane tank twice on the same day!

I suggest anyone who has used this vendor check their bank statements too for similar 'errors' (he said euphemistically) :mad: 

Sounds like a call to your CC company is in order Karl.

I believe it was a debit card transaction, as the charge appeared on the bank statement.  That's one reason we never use a debit card, only a credit card.  We let the credit card company argue with the vendor, so we don't have to.  It's easier to withhold payment than it is to get the money back :)

Karl,

Was that the LP vendor on 40th or the one on 32nd?

Karl said:
I suggest anyone who has used this vendor check their bank statements too for similar 'errors' (he said euphemistically) :mad: 

I suggest that everyone check their bank statements and credit card statements carefully every single month, not just for this particular vendor. Errors occur and it's usually an accident,  not fraud.

Wendy

We reconcile our bank and credit card accounts daily with Quicken.  By entering the charges on the same day they were incurred, we can catch any erroneous charges immediately and take corrective action before they become due (and more difficult to deal with).  Mistakes, honest and otherwise, can and do happen and are best addressed a soon as possible.  Once the money is out of your account, it becomes much more difficult to resolve.

I would respectfully suggest getting and using an American Express credit card. Not only do you get cash back on certain purchases (fuel being one) but they will really be on your side in any dispute.

Their customer service reps are quick and decisive.

They are NOT the American Express of ten years ago. They are good to do business with.

Ahhhh  the beauty of paying cash.    But Credit Cards  are nearly a necessary evil in todays marketing.   

29er said:
I would respectfully suggest getting and using an American Express credit card. Not only do you get cash back on certain purchases (fuel being one) but they will really be on your side in any dispute.

Their customer service reps are quick and decisive.

They are NOT the American Express of ten years ago. They are good to do business with.

That is not the experience related to me by an EX  American Express CUstomer.  When we were traveling with the job the company provided us with an American Express card and we found many places would not accept them.  Used our Visa in such cases.

Maye they got rid of the old management and things are changing.

Ron: you are right about American Express in the past......

Twice we were double billed and they cancelled the error right on the phone.

Further, if a large purchase is being made, they have called us to see if it was really us making the purchase.

AMEX is being accepted in more places, as the fiasco in the past has been corrected.

I was skeptical in the beginning, but I'm a believer now.

Is Amex still the only card company charging for their cards?  In my experience, less than one store in ten takes Amex, while nearly all take MC, Visa, and Discover.  All also offer cash back (we get 5% on fuel, groceries and restaurants from CitiCard MC and 1% on everything else, Discover is 1% on everything).

We have also been called by both Master Card and Discover when anomalous charges were noticed.

Ned said:
  In my experience, less than one store in ten takes Amex, while nearly all take MC, Visa, and Discover.  All also offer cash back (we get 5% on fuel, groceries and restaurants from CitiCard MC and 1% on everything else, Discover is 1% on everything).

Things have changed considerably with AMEX in last couple of years.  I have yet to find anyone who does not take my American Express but that may  be a function of where I live and travel. 

AMEX now has no fee cards and rewards program cards just like the others  http://tinyurl.com/2sc2uu

I find my American Express hard to beat. I also  have a MC and Visa but now find them about all the same.

Bob

Ned said:
Is Amex still the only card company charging for their cards?  In my experience, less than one store in ten takes Amex, while nearly all take MC, Visa, and Discover.  All also offer cash back (we get 5% on fuel, groceries and restaurants from CitiCard MC and 1% on everything else, Discover is 1% on everything).

Ned

My Costco/Amex card is no fee available from Costco. It gives me a 3% rebate on restaurant charges, 2% on travel charges and 1% on everything else. No limit on the rebate. I maxed out the rebate limit on my CITI cards last year. AFAIK, all the Mastercard and Visa issuers offer fee based cards in addition to their no-fee card, just like AMEX. Never had a problem clearing up improper charges with AMEX. I would say that significantly over 50%, maybe over 75%, of the locations where we can use a charge card accept AMEX.

Bernie,

I knew Amex had a broader line of cards, didn't know they offered branded cards (like Costco).  We must go do different stores because I rarely see Amex listed, just MC, V, Disc.  The rebate on the Citi card is $300/year.  When we hit that, we switch to Discover.

What advantages would a fee card offer, other than perhaps a lower interest rate?  That doesn't interest us as we pay the balance in full every month.  I never could understand why anyone would pay for privilege of borrowing money at usurious rates :)

Ned said:
What advantages would a fee card offer, other than perhaps a lower interest rate? 

One is to accrue air miles. My American Airlines CITI card has fee but the value of the air miles I accrue, which gives me a business class round  trip ticket to Europe,  far exceeds the annual fee.

Bob

Air miles only are valuable if you fly :)  Since I refuse to do so these days, it's of no use to me.  For you, it's a good deal.

Ned

Costco and Amex are linked, Amex is the only credit card Costco accepts. There may be other branded Amex cards out there but I don't know. Usually the fee cards are promoted as lower interest rates and, maybe, better rewards programs. I know my Wells Fargo Rewards Platinum card has an annual fee, but it is waived for me because  of our account relationship, otherwise I'd drop it. I'd rather get cash  ;D

When I owned my own business Amex charged the highest use rate, about 3%, and were the slowest to pay, about seven days.  therefor I didn't accept it unless the customer didn't have anything else.  Visa and MC were less than 2% and paid the next business day.  That is why so many small businesses won't accept amex.

Bernie,

I knew about Costco and their Amex only link, that's why we're not members of Costco :)

We, too, prefer the cash to other unusable (to us) spiffs.

Update: Wells Fargo must have done some investigating and found the second $32 charge to be incorrect. My account has been reimbursed the $32. While I agree that credit cards are safer than debit cards, this is one instance where things worked out. Well done, Wells Fargo. :) 

Back
Top Bottom