Wiring fantastic fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Relee52

A small remodel, my Minnie had a Minnie fan in the bathroom and no fan up front so I decided to put a fantastic fan in both locations. The rear one was pretty straight forward since it already had a fan. The wiring was white and yellow with white being positive, the fan having black as positive, so black to white and white to yellow. Works fine, nice!
In the front the wires are white and red and I had to fish the line from a nearby light. Black to white, white to red. Turned it on and it fired up nicely...then I noticed it was reversed polarity, at least that's what my nonelectrician novice self decided because on the in and out switch it does the opposite, so when it should (according to the switch) be pushing air out it's pulling air in and vice versa. Is this a problem in any way other than I have to remember to set the switch opposite of what I want? Or do I need to rewire? If so, how? The rig has white as positive and the fan has black, and I have it wired that way, same as in the back and the only other wire available is the red.
As noted, I'm no electrician but I do hope the consensus is to leave it as is and remember to reverse the switch!

I agree just swap the wires.  It's easy enough to do and you won't be reminded of your mistake every time you use the fan.  ;)

In reality, reversed polarity won't hurt anything if it's just the basic fan, but if it automatically raises and lowers the lid it will mess up that function.

Relee52 said:
A small remodel, my Minnie had a Minnie fan in the bathroom and no fan up front so I decided to put a fantastic fan in both locations. The rear one was pretty straight forward since it already had a fan. The wiring was white and yellow with white being positive, the fan having black as positive, so black to white and white to yellow. Works fine, nice!
In the front the wires are white and red and I had to fish the line from a nearby light. Black to white, white to red. Turned it on and it fired up nicely...then I noticed it was reversed polarity, at least that's what my nonelectrician novice self decided because on the in and out switch it does the opposite, so when it should (according to the switch) be pushing air out it's pulling air in and vice versa. Is this a problem in any way other than I have to remember to set the switch opposite of what I want? Or do I need to rewire? If so, how? The rig has white as positive and the fan has black, and I have it wired that way, same as in the back and the only other wire available is the red.
As noted, I'm no electrician but I do hope the consensus is to leave it as is and remember to reverse the switch!

Usually, white is negative and any other colour is positive on a 12 VOLTS circuits.

Don't take chances, get a meter and be sure.  Harbor Freight and others have a decent one for 12 volts for less than $10 and often have one for free with some purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom