Taking a moped / motorbike on the road. ADVICE REQUIRED PLEASE.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skippityboo

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, It seemed the best place to look.

I'm exploring the option of rather than towing a vehicle behind my class C (yet to be purchased) I was wondering what I had to consider when looking into getting a moped or light / small motorbike, and carrying it on the back.

I really don't even know what are the right questions to ask right now.

The european in me loves the idea of a cute 'sit and spin' Vespa, two seats, open face helmet etc etc...

However the reality of having to physically pick up to place it on the back of my RV concerns me (I'm a 40ish 5 foot woman, with no upper body strength).

I haven't driven a moped in over 20 years, I don't have any kind of motorcycle license, and have no idea regarding the road laws.

So ...

Who is doing this? What do I have to look up? any suggestions?  thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

This board is fine!

As nibroc said, they make carriers with an attached ramp which connect to your rear bumper receiver.  Go to Amazon or E Trailer.com and search for carriers.  As for licensing, if you are properly licensed to ride the Moped in your home state, you are good anywhere in the US.  Check the local DMV for requirements.

Even though you felt uncertain, you phrased your concern well.  Ask if you need more specifics.

State laws vary somewhat on this matter, but most MoPeds do not require a license.  At least, those under 50cc engine size.  One that size also helps in your loading/unloading concerns in that they are relatively light.  The driver might require a driver's license, but if you're driving a motorhome, I'm going to assume you have one of those.  :)    Now, if you go above 50cc you will have to license it like any other larger motorcycle and, depending on your state, may have to have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license.

I hadn't seen the "carriers" with a ramp (only motorized / really expensive ones), so this is excellent news, I'll get on to researching that this weekend! THANK YOU!

I had a quick look on Vespas site (can't find the weight of a moped there ... but thats just a google search away), and they go up to 150cc, I think thats the size I'd want to go with as I'd like the option of having a passenger (although thats not essential).

NOTE : I'm not stuck on Vespas as such, its just the only brand of moped I know.

One thing I thought I read somewhere (years ago) was that mopeds are not used on US highways? is that every state or just some?

Would I be better getting a 250cc motor cycle (look at me! Like I even know what "cc" means *rolls eyes* - I just know thats what the 16 yrs old boys used to drive when I thought that they were cool :) ) - what is the right engine size for being able to drive on a highway in most states?

(Please note I'm not actually wanting to do highway driving, but as I'm aware a lot of RV / state parks are "just off the highway", I'm aware its possible I might have to use them to get to the local shops)

I'm more than happy to learn to drive a motor cycle / take a test if that is the best option.

My current address is in Illinois, although I'm looking into changing my address to Texas or Florida (escapees, or something like).

Thank you everyone who has commented so far, I apologize for all my dumb questions, I just don't even know where to start looking so any articles / resources that you can recommend is VERY welcome.

Actually, a 150cc Vespa is not considered a MoPed.  As the name implies, a MoPed is basically a motorized bicycle with pedals included.  These are typically banned from highway use (Interstates, etc.).  And if you want to have a passenger, you are right in looking for something larger.  A 150cc Vespa weighs in about 250 lbs.  Nice scooter, btw.

I know in my state and others anything over 50cc is a motorcycle.  Their are a lot of weekend classes to get a license.  Just check with any local motorcycle dealer

150cc is 150 cubic centimeters (engine size in metric volume) as opposed to earlier American engines measured in cubic inches - like the venerable Chevy 327. :)

If it has been over 20 years since your last ride on any type of scooter/moped/motorcycle I would suggest taking a motorcycle safety course. Every state has them as well as many dealerships, some are free, most are not. Either way it is well worth a day's time. I've been on motorcycles for over 50 years, and my first safety class was about 10 years ago and the class was an eyeopener for me. Taught me not only the proper rules of the road, but learned some slow speed handling also, which is important for a short guy on a HD dresser. ;D

Good luck in your travels and adventures.

Corky

Corky's suggestion about the safety course is a good one. I started riding when I was 9 years old. (50 years ago) I've taken the course 4 times since 1981, and learned something new every time. I was amazed the first time I took it about how much I didn't know.

Also anything over 50 CC will require a license in most states, and by taking a safety course it will allow you to bypass the requirement to take a rider course at the  DMV to obtain a learners permit. And if you get something over 50 CC you will need to have insurance to ride it on any road or highway. The safety course will also help in that regard. 

WOW!

Thank you all so much!

Yes, I'm not shy of taking a safety class or two, or getting a motor cycle license. VERY GOOD SUGGESTIONS!

I guess my next stop is finding some Vespa/bike dealers in the area and picking their brains.

Thank you again, I now feel like I at least know where to start and that my idea wasn't as foolish as I feared!

You really want a scooter rather than a moped, to allow highway use (campgrounds are often remote), to maybe have room for a passenger, and to carry a sack of groceries or whatever. That means a motorcycle license and insurance, and a bike that weighs a fair bit. The Vespas are great, but not exactly inexpensive (start around $3900). Maybe one of the cheaper brands would suffice, though.
http://www.sears.com/scootermadness-50cc-gas-street-legal-scooter-taotao-atm50/p-SPM2686815021

Here are several hitch-mounted bike carriers with ramps:

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Cargo_Carrier-sf-Motorcycle_Carrier.aspx

Gary :

Yes, I probably do ... I'm just too green to know exactly what I'm looking for yet :)

Price isn't so much an issue (I would buy second hand, and relatively recent model as I'm not very mechanically minded - although I can learn!), as quality and resale-ability afterwards, but obviously I don't want to spend more than I have to.

I only named Vespa as that was the only bike brand I knew :)

Can anyone suggest some brands that would meet my requirements? (powerfull / big enough to carry 2 folks, useable on a highway, something a small person can easily handle). I'm thinking that it would need to be able to carry 350lbs of human weight on the back safely (assuming me and a 200lb "other" and a little extra for shopping/groceries etc)

Thanks for the links ... I was expecting the bike carrier to be WAY more expensive!

Skippityboo said:
Gary :

Yes, I probably do ... I'm just too green to know exactly what I'm looking for yet :)

Price isn't so much an issue (I would buy second hand, and relatively recent model as I'm not very mechanically minded - although I can learn!), as quality and resale-ability afterwards, but obviously I don't want to spend more than I have to.

I only named Vespa as that was the only bike brand I knew :)

Can anyone suggest some brands that would meet my requirements? (powerfull / big enough to carry 2 folks, useable on a highway, something a small person can easily handle). I'm thinking that it would need to be able to carry 350lbs of human weight on the back safely (assuming me and a 200lb "other" and a little extra for shopping/groceries etc)

Thanks for the links ... I was expecting the bike carrier to be WAY more expensive!

In my opinion you have a conundrum. Your 350 lb requirement may have to be lowered if your physical condition won't allow you to safely load/unload your scooter/moped/motorcycle. The smaller scooters that are in the 200cc range will be lighter, smaller and more manageable. They will carry a rider up to 40/45mph and more and handle great.
I don't think a 200cc will be up to the tasks that you have set. At some point within your shopping  criteria adjustments may be needed. When looking at the specs for these check the curb weight, as it gains rapidly as the motors get larger. Also larger tire size it better than smaller.

Good luck.

Corky

When we first started Rving 32 years ago I had a street legal Suzuki combo dirt/street 125 cc motor cycle that I carried on a back hitch rack.  I didn?t feel comfortable using it on the highways near campgrounds and RV parks we stayed at and that was over 30 years ago.  Since you have not been on a scooter in over 20 years are you sure you want to ride one in today?s highway traffic?  In my opinion a small car that can be towed 4 down would be the way to go.  With current tow bars it would be easier to hookup a toad than loading a scooter.  Dick nvrver 

Dick makes a very valid point!!

Exactly where do you want to go with the "alternate transportation"?  Trips to parks over interstate highways requires a much bigger bike than simple in town trips to the store or local attractions.  The Moped should be fine on surface roads, even state highways as long as they are not "limited access", and VERY few campgrounds are on limited access roads!  If you plan on short, local trips, the smaller bikes should be fine.  We live ? mile from a 4 lane not divided federal highway, 55 mph speed limits, and I see mopeds on it regularly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom