Why did you? Class A v Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went with a 32' Class C because it was plenty big enough for me and still is because I travel solo.  It was also very easy for me to drive.  My biggest problem is being only 5'1" tall.  I test drove a 36' Class A and in order to reach the pedals, I had to push the seat so far forward that the steering wheel was shoved into my stomach.  Ouch!  Also, I could not reach the visors to adjust them.  I figured driving with my handicap grabber to adjust the visors and radio was not a good option.

In addition, I wanted the option to sleep my kids and grandkids and most As are really made for a couple, not a grandma plus family. 

I really am happy with what I have, especially because it has two big slides.  However, it would be nice to have a larger cargo carrying capacity and a fancier driver's seat, plus some other luxury items in the cab and some better interior finishes.  (The bigger cargo carrying capacity is to be able to carry a full tank of fresh water with me and not worry about the weight of that and un-dumped waste tanks.)  If I ever win or inherit some serious money, I might try trading this one in for a small A--maybe 34'. I think I would have to work with the manufacturer to get adjustable pedals or pedal extensions and/or other modifications because of my height and arm length.  I used to have a minivan with adjustable pedals and a nice power seat and movable steering wheel that enabled me to reach things, so I don't know why Class A manufacturers assume every driver is a 5'10" man.  :mad:

Note: I have to buy new because of allergies to pets and cigarette smoke. 

JudyJB,

Thank you, I too plan to live alone and I'm only 5 foot myself so your insights are extremely helpful.

I'm heading over to the dealers today and I'll be certainly sitting in the drivers seat after your comments.

I don't have kids thou, so I'm hoping to use the over head bunk (if I buy a Class C) for extra storage.

Thank you - very helpful

I would go test drive as many as you can. When test driving don't just drive around the block on city streets. Get on the freeway and drive for 10-20 miles and drive on other road surfaces and get a feel for how it rides and drives.
Bill

I was thinking about this thread yesterday, while looking at the thor specific forum.  There seems to be a slug of posts lately about folks having widshield wiper propblems.  Appearently some sort of QA issue perhaps now...
but anyway, that is an example of something that does give me confidence about having the class C.  All the things up front are surely much better by Ford, than the sketchy quality I see form Thor in how they put the house together....
Not a reason to not buy an A..... just a comment

Is there a thread for really short people???

Some other considerations--make sure you can reach the light switches on the ceiling.  I am able to reach them if I stand on my toes, but that is about all.  My unit has a lower light switch in the bathroom, and a couple of more easily reachable lights in the living areas, plus two over my bed.  The vent fans are a pain for us short folks.  I put one of those pillows in the one over my bed since I never use it anyway, and I can reach the one on the bathroom by standing on the step the toilet is mounted on, but the kitchen vent fan is impossible without a stool, so I seldom use it!!

Also, check out how reachable the sewer hookup is.  I have to stick part of my head into the compartment and use both hands to hook on the hose.  The water pump is located way too far for me to do anything with it.

Now some advantages of traveling solo:  1) you can use all the storage space yourself, 2) even taking a hot shower every night and washing dishes once per day, I can go 4-5 days without dumping my tanks, and 3) You get to make ALL of the decisions yourself!!

Also, if you do use the front bunk area for storage, make sure you get cabinets made so that everything is secured when you drive or you will have to pick up stuff from the floor at every stop! 

I'll just note here something about the road handling of my setup.
24' Class C with about 350 lbs of motorcycle and carrier on the back end.

The bike&carrier, along with full or even half full tanks, lifts the front end a bit. Steering and braking are affected some, especially on wet pavement. With a longer RV like the 30' range you are looking at the lift on the front wheels would be greater.

While I don't feel that it is dangerous, it is something I have to keep in mind while driving.
So I'm going to be looking for a medium/short Class A DP when I'm ready to trade up.
The rear axle is closer to the back end keeping the bike and rack from lifting weight off the front wheels. It will also allow for more towing capacity, allowing me to pull an enclosed trailer.

I doubt my rig will get close to HeuyPilotVN status, but.... the one thing I would miss while full-timing is a garage to putter around in.

Easy: Got in the cockpit of a class A, looked out through the windshield, and said, There is NO WAY I am driving this thing.  ;D Ex-husband did, too.

I live alone in my class C. Was a good choice for me.

It's true that the cockpit and seats are wasted space, but once parked they can be used to store things. My vacuum cleaner lives there.

Just to keep you guys up to date.

I did finally test drive a Class A.

I found it sooper easy to drive, and would have no problems buying a Class A, if the right unit comes along.

However, JudyJB, I kept you in mind, and I have sat in the drivers seat of every Class A I've looked at since, and it seems hit or miss to if I can fully push down on the break or that if the steering column knocks against my knee (another safety hazard in my book).

So while I haven't totally ruled out Class A's, Its been rare I have found one that I can seat in with the upmost confidence.

If it gets closer to my deadline, then I'm aware I can get the seat moved  .... but I still have some time yet to find the "perfect RV" before I have to resort to that type of modification.

Srs713

Thank you for your thoughts re the carrying of the motorcycle .... I'll bear that in mind!

BLW2

That was one of my arguments for a Class C .... not so much that I think Ford are a better car company than any other, but that if the windscreen wipers (or whatever) does break, every town has a ford garage and parts are much easier to find & replace.

My seat is completely adjustable electrically, height and front to back and tilt. You need to drive some more coaches and the ones you just sit in try the seat and wheel adjustments.
Buying a Ford just because there are a lot of Ford dealers doesn't always help you. There are a lot of Ford dealers (unless they have a heavy truck shop) won't work on Motorhomes. There are just as many places that work on big rigs that can work on Motorhomes. This is why I have Coach Net when traveling it provides a concierge service to help you find a technician to come to you or a facility that you can be towed to for repair.
Bill

While you're pondering the possibilities... there is one other thing to mention: Those enormous class A windshields that blast you with unavoidable sun while you're driving. I'll let devoted class A drivers tell you how they handle that (have no idea).

You are so right, Kitty.

One of the real problems for a solo traveler is adjusting the windshield visors or sunscreen while underway.

When I was shopping I got the feeling that I would need to anticipate what direction I would be driving for the next couple of hours and then adjust the passenger visor to try to block the sun without hindering visibility. For shorter folks, even adjusting the driver's visor while driving may not be possible. I found some visors that took two hands to move which wouldn't be the best situation while underweigh.

The MH I bought has MCD sunscreens and blackout shades all around. The windshield MCD's are electric and each one, full width sunscreen and blackout shade, is controlled individually by switches conveniently located for the driver. Plus, they are great when parked as they will drop all the way to the dash for sun protection or total blackout, even though they are cream colored.

I would have installed MCDs in a minute if the MH hadn't come equipped with them.

Skippityboo said:
...in Illinois you need a special license to drive a rig over a certain weight

I'm not a legal expert but am fairly sure this is not accurate.  A quick search shows that IL drivers operating RV's for personal use are exempt from any special operating license requirements.

Skippityboo said:
As I mentioned above, I don't plan to do a whole lot of driving, about the distance of a tank of gas every two weeks or so

For my coach, that is about 1200 miles.  ;)  I haven't filled up since February.  ;D

I'm very sorry to hear about your previous experience.  Occasionally I hear of similar stories and I can only guess that mechanical "luck" (or bad luck) plays a part.  I probably see thru rose colored glasses but it seems that most modern rigs are built with reasonably reliable equipment/parts.  Of course, operating within the limitations of that equipment and performing preventative maintenance are both important. When buying used, there is no way to know how the equipment was treated so it is a gamble.  One can attempt to minimize that by having experts inspect it but that is no guarantee.  Some folks hedge their bet by purchasing an extended warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom