Wheel bearing popped off & smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guguluff

It's sunday and we are in the middle of the road as one of the trailer's wheel bearing covers popped off. Even if we go with 20 mph smoke is coming from the wheel and it's very hot. Is there anything we can do?

Attachments

• tmp_29335-IMAG2652_2-1609278284.jpg
    tmp_29335-IMAG2652_2-1609278284.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 122
Looks to me the wheel bearing is toast.
If you don't have a way of jacking up the rig and pulling the wheel, and then the drum you may need to rely on roadside service.
You WILL need a new bearing.

We're driving slowly to the nearest campground, stopping every 4-5 minutes. No smoke is coming out, just the smell and it's very hot around the blowned out part. Is it any danger if we continue for 10-15 miles like that?

You may be pushing things if you proceed at 10/15, no sense in making an unsafe thingy unsafer, but you know better than I how safe you are. Heads up -- the front wheel may depart your camper if traveling too fast.
Have you tried to tighten the nut on the end of spindle?
I doubt that will help, but it might.

Be prepared to replaced the entire spindle and of course bearings

Sorry - re-read your post.
10/15 miles may be a big push for the condition the hub is in.
I would park and contact help.

you should be okay you've probably done as much damage as you are going to do at this point - i drove 45 miles or so on a blown bearing ( seized when a jackass cut me off on the highway ) just drive slow you will need a bearing and maybe a new brake backer plate - hopefully you wont need a spindle - these things do happen - let us know how you make out 

We found an Rv service and we're driving there. We're splashing water over it every time we stop. Could not find a tire service to repair the TT in this area. I guess we' ll gonna have to leave the trailer there for repairs and go on our way without it...
We're so frustrated, every time something comes up. I guess this is not for our family

Sorry for your troubles, as my granddad used to tell me every time I screwed something up -- Knowledge ain't cheap.
Not trying to be a smart -a, this will pass, and happy camping is just around the corner.

Glad you're all safe.

Corky 

The owner we bought the trailer from told us that last year he got those checked. Should it happen more offten?
Corky, sorry if I seemed rude and ignored the advice of calling the AAA. We can' t afford to spend more on the TT and towing one would be too much to add to the repair itself. We just have to cut the cost down.
We're probably have to sell the TT soon, every time we take it out something wrong happends. Last time we almost lost the slide's awning on the highway in Colorado mountains during a storm. That could end up tragic for some unfortunate driver.

Does someone know how much should we expect it to cost?

Wheel bearings need periodical service, as with anything that moves, but this shouldn't have happened if the bearing were serviced properly.

You weren't rude! Only you can make decision that are right for the moment, and please only consider my input as just a suggestion. Just trying to help from this side of the screen. ;)

Hope that you don't get too discouraged, and walk away with bad feelings for the RV-ing life, crap happens and it seems that it happens in cycles.

Corky

We had some bed luck w/ the truck too, even one accident that involved towing and some repairs to the front wheels.
Every one in the family thinks this is not a good idea (Rving), including my 10 years old daughter.
But I'm still in, just not with the truck-TT combo. Maybe something smaller and leaving the kids at grandma. ;)
Thank you all for the support.

L.E. There was a storage facility without a company sign, not a service... We are 50 miles away from home and no Rv service in our area, just 91 miles away.
L.E.2. We remembered the seller told us those bearings are maintenance free, the oil doesn' t need to be changed. Did he lied to us?

Hang in there!!!  This will pass and you'll be a lot smarter from this.  Every time we go out with our trailer we always learn something.  This is just a hiccup, and you'll soon be back on the road.  Keep traveling this great country.  Your kids will thank you some day.  Memories... some will be bad but most will be great!!

Guguluff said:
We had some bed luck w/ the truck too, even one accident that involved towing and some repairs to the front wheels.
Every one in the family thinks this is not a good idea (Rving), including my 10 years old daughter.
But I'm still in, just not with the truck-TT combo. Maybe something smaller and leaving the kids at grandma. ;)
Thank you all for the support.

L.E. There was a storage facility without a company sign, not a service... We are 50 miles away from home and no Rv service in our area, just 91 miles away.
L.E.2. We remembered the seller told us those bearings are maintenance free, the oil doesn' t need to be changed. Did he lied to us?

Not real sure about the PO's comment with the regard to bearings being maintenance free. Can you post a picture of the grease cap on one of the undamaged wheels? The TT may be fitted with something called a Bearing Buddy. Which is just a method to allow the bearing to be greased without disassembling anything. Used more on boat trailers.

Are you in a safe place right now?

We're on an empty parking lot. A policeman told us that it is ok to park there. But we're 40 miles away from home. We'll gonna keep driving. DH needs an outlet for the laptop in the morning.
The other bearing:

Attachments

• tmp_27032-IMAG2652_3-884078781.jpg
    tmp_27032-IMAG2652_3-884078781.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 97
That looks like a standard dust cover on the wheel, which means these need to be maintained on a regular basis.

You do not need an RV repair shop to fix this bearing. This is something an automotive shop "should" be able to cope with in a timely manner.

The real question is what the axil look like.  Hubs and bearing are easy to buy and replace. Northern tools or tractor supply will have on the shelf
But if the axil taper has been warn you looking at a new axil too..... All can be done with jacks and a socket wrench

My opinion is that the trailer has dual torsion axles, probably Dexter. It doesn't look like a spring axle trailer with replaceable hub/spindle. If it is a torsion axle and the spindle is ruined, you will have to replace the axle. With luck, polishing up the spindle and replacing the bad bearings (there are 2) will be the fix. Seldom will the brake drum be damaged (it houses the bearings). I have a similar Forest River TT and I bent an axle spindle and had to replace the axle. If you have any questions about axle replacement then get in touch with me if you need some advice.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom