Considering going Full Time (Oh... and Im 28!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevalier.andrew

Not that age really matters, because it doesn't, but in my RVing career, I've only met a handful of folks who full time under the age of well... retirement (I'm not putting a specific number on there so I don't offend anyone ;) ). I love the idea of full timing, and I know that many folks retire and do it, and there are some folks who have careers that enable them to travel and Full Time RV. So, I'm writing to the forum and would like some advice...

I'm 28 years old, own my house and have a solid career. I just started a new job that requires some travel away from my home base (which is in Jupiter, FL). The travel is anywhere up the east coast, and can be for periods of 1 to 2 weeks at a time. If I pitched the idea of having my company pay for my campground stays versus a hotel and air fare, they would in a heart beat (in most cases it'll be cheaper). When I worked in Boston a few years ago, I lived in my parents motorhome for about 2 months before I moved into my apartment, I absolutely loved it. Since then, I've purchased 3 travel trailers and now go camping any time that I can.

I've been doing some "number crunching" and with the market the way it is, I can sell my house (and likely make a small profit on it). I can liquidate everything I own without taking a huge (actually any) financial hit. Currently I have a 35 foot travel trailer, I spent the last week outside of Tampa camping and was chatting with some full timers about their living situation. My guess is that I would want to upgrade to a fifth wheel, probably 40 foot and would need to upgrade the truck. With my number crunching, it would all still end up much cheaper than mortgage and associated costs.

So here are some questions - can anyone shed some of their thoughts or experiences on full timing. I'm at a point in my career/life, that I can financially sustain full timing, and frankly, I love RVing so much, I cant see that I would have an issue making a fifth wheel or motorhome my permanent home. Again, age isn't everything, but have you folks out there seen a bigger frequency of younger crowds doing this? Are there other hidden costs that I'm not thinking of (Ive included insurance, cost of 365 days in an RV park, etc.). Anything specific I need to have in a newer unit that I wouldn't normally think of (I know, I need a washer/dryer!).

How do you all like full timing? I know that I will be limited to where my work takes me, most of the time, but that is still all over the east coast from south Florida up to Maine.

Anything else I need to know to either tell me I'm crazy or this is a crazy good idea?

Thanks for the help, been RVing for years and really am starting to lean towards doing this.

Sounds like you have it pretty well thought out.  The only problem I can see is if you have to travel to the northern states during the winter months.  RVs don't do well below freezing and many campgrounds close in snow areas so you may wind up leaving the RV in Florida and staying in motels.

Take a look at the Escapees RV Club's Xscapers program, aimed at younger working full timers.  This year's Escapade was the first time I can remember seeing significant numbers of non-retirees at the annual event.

The Escapees organization is now run by the third generation of the founding family, and they're actively aiming the group towards younger RVers.

Here's an article about Xscapers:  http://www.rvbusiness.com/2016/03/the-buzz-xscapers-mark-first-anniversary/ and the  Xscapers website www.xscapers.com

First off, I lived aboard my boat at age 27 until age 35. So I might have a clue.

DO NOT sell the house. Rent it out to sufficiently pay for itself. Forget a humongeous white suppository 5th wheel and the huge expensive truck. Are you mad? You're not lodging a basketball team and if you spend all your money you're not even lodging a girlfriend. And note that most campgrounds above South Carolina are CLOSED over the winter, with good reason.

And speaking of girlfriends, I hope she's quiet because us old farts roll up the sidewalks at 8 pm.

Seriously, go small, go cheap and go now.  If you'd like to carry this on please PM me. Namaste.

I would bounce your idea off the company accountants before progressing too far. They sometimes baulk at paying business expenses for someone who returns to his residence every night and if you full time it will be your residence.

I've been doing this for about 7 years now i maintained a condo in Michigan near the home office, and travel for work only it's for months or years at a time.
My company has cash option for the hotel and per deim so i use that to pay for campgrounds and travel.
Finding open all year campgrounds is difficult but not impossible I've stayed over the winter in Kansas City, Cleveland, Chattanooga, Greenville Sc and in Tampa. It is a challenge but if you like to stay in the Rv it will work.

Back
Top Bottom