Question about FT RVing community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanners

Hubby and I are thinking about RVing FT if we are able to sell the house and be debt-free.  He can work from anywhere.  I'd be quitting my job and maybe start free-lance writing.

We are already home-bodies.  We do a lot together by ourselves and although we have friends, we don't really socialize much because of my work and the upkeep of our hobby farm. 

However, I'm a little worried about being together 24/7.  Right now, I have an outlet to call my own--I can GO to work and be around other people other than hubby.

Do you ever feel isolated?  How do you find your own space?  What do friends and community look like in the RV world?

I can't really address your concern about FT RVing but I do have some experience with being together in a small space for some time. We cruised our boat from Tampa to the Chesapeake and back, spending a total of 8 months on it, 5 months northbound in 2014 and 3 months southbound in 2015. What we found is that I was kept pretty busy dealing with issues on the boat and planning the next stops and my wife was busy sewing and doing other crafty things. She bought a bottle glass cutter and her sewing machine and that kept her busy. When we stopped at a new place we always spent some time touring the area, generally walking or using our bikes. Some of the places we stayed allowed us to use the marina car.

We are both homebodies so FT would never be an option for us. We were both ready to get home after both boat trips. Our plan when we get an RV is to spend 2-4 months at a time on it and then come home. We probably will leave the RV wherever it is and fly back and forth.

Hope this gives you some insight.

Togetherness is a fact of life in an RV. We have been doing it nearly 20 years, some full time, some part time. Bottom line is you have to like your spouse/partner. Sometimes we go everywhere together, other times we will go separate. There are lots of duties to attend to, many of mine are outside, and the DW handles a lot of the inside. She loves to read and keep up with her interests on the computer, and I tinker with stuff around the RV and pursue my interests (like this RV Forum) on my computer.

If your personalities mesh and you like each other, you will each find your own nitch in the relationship. I have seen other people however that one or the other really doesn't like RVing, and it's a struggle for them to be together.  The DW and I are also fitness minded, so we exercise nearly every day. It helps keep us healthy and is a good way to vent the feeling of "closeness" that can sometimes occur in a small living area.

In the afternoons we may tour the area we are in, and evenings we have a cocktail outside with the dog. And we used to move often, every 2-3 days. That was when we first started out. But we spent all our time setting up and breaking down camp. And you burn a lot of fuel that way. Now we try to stay at each spot for a week. Life is slower and we have more time for the basics of the life.

Thank you, this is helpful!  Hubby and I are eachother best friend. We truly enjoy being together. But I was just worried about making sure I had coud make other friends and opportunities to get to know other people too.

nanners said:
But I was just worried about making sure I had coud make other friends and opportunities to get to know other people too.

Don't worry you will. We made several friends during our journey. Went out to eat with several and spent some "quality" beer time on the sun deck with others. It's partly what the life style is about.

I think it is a legitimate concern. Your spouse has to be your best friend, and even then many of us need some "personal time".  That may be as simple as one getting up an hour earlier than the other, or making the occasional grocery store trip alone.

Work also provides a social outlet, the opportunity to interact with others, hear differing opinions, etc.  If you don't make an effort to socialize with others, RV living could become isolated. Fortunately, many in the RV "community" share this problem and react by being open and friendly to other RVers. Many RVers go out of their way to speak to their overnight neighbors, maybe invite them to join them at a campfire or cocktail hour, and help out when they seem to have problems, no matter how minor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom