2006 Arctic Fox Truck Camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brucethiessen

I mistakenly hooked up two twelve volt batteries (24) to replace the two 6 volts (12). I went to use my slide out and it did not work. I realized that I had screwed up and replaced the twelves back with sixes. I can not get my slide out to work now. The fuses are all good and I have power to the switch. Does anyone know whether there is a relay or activator between the switch and motor? If not I have to assume the motor is toast?

Hello,

I'm not an expert by any measure, so please wait for answers from the more experienced folks before acting.

But anyway, AFAIK you could kept the two 12V batteries as long as you connected them in parallel instead of in series, this would give you 12V just like the two 6V (which would have been connected in series).

And yes, in my limited electrical-stuff experience (mostly unrelated to RVs so far) unfortunately feeding twice the volts to a motor is an almost certain way of frying its coils... What I would do is to take a cheap multimeter and use it to measure the voltage between the slide motor terminals when you press the switch; if it's around 12V, then almost certainly your motor coils are fried, and at very least you'd need to have them rewired (a new motor would possibly be cheaper, add this involves a lot of labor and materials).

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom