Want to tow boat behind fifth wheel, where to buy hitch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8and29fans

Hello!  I want to install a hitch on my fifth wheel trailer to tow a small boat or motorcycle trailer.  Where can I get a hitch that will fit?  does it have to be custom made?  It is a Terry (fleetwood prroduct). I assume that it will be attached to two I-beams that are the main structural members of the frame. Do they make bolt-on, or will it have to be welded?  thanks for all input...

As Carl has mentioned, it is illegal to triple tow in many states. Also, some, if not all, states require the last tow to be a boat so towing a motorcycle trailer would not be allowed in most states. Most states that allow triple towing are west of the Mississippi. It is definitely illegal from Maine to Florida though I have seen many people doing it. Not sure what would trigger a stop by law enforcement but you can bet an accident could create legal problems for the one towing.

Thanks for your concerns 

Here in Texas triple towing is allowed.  No restrictions except 65 foot length limit.  I plan on limiting myself to short in-state trips.  Within one fuel tank range, as I don't even want to think about pulling that train into a gas station.

My wife thinks I'm nuts to try it!  But I've seen lots of others doing it, and it would be nice not to have to take two separate rigs when we go off on a fishing trip or to the off-road riding area.

I do have concerns about a flat on the boat trailer.  I probably never know it until someone waved us over...

8and29fans said:
I do have concerns about a flat on the boat trailer.  I probably never know it until someone waved us over...

Why not buy a PresssurePro tire pressure monitoring system that will warn you of low tire pressure or total loss of air. Numerous forum members use this system. It's saved me from a potential catastrophic tire failure on several occasions. Contact information for a PressurePro distributor can be found here

The rear bumper on a 5vers strong enough?  I doubt it very much.  Most of what I've seen are not much better than reyonlds wrap in the middle of the bumper with no support.  They are not made for a project as such.

I'm prety sure that the hitch would have to be attached directly to the twin I-beams that art the main structural members of the frame (not the bumper).  I've seen a lot in use, but have never looked underneath to check the installation...

Personally I think any state that allows this type of towing without training and certification should be held liable for any damage or injuries caused by untrained drivers towing double trailers.  Sometimes laws just don't protect the public.  In some states if an RVer happens to hold a valid CDL they cannot tow two trailers of any kind without getting an endorsement.  However, any Joe not holding a CDL can hook up his 5th wheel and tie a trailer behind that and be on his way. Montana is one such state. Just plain stupid IMHO.  Personally I think you should listen to your wife on this one.

You have to have the hitch custom made/installed. Basically most any universal type receiver hitch can be modified to attach to the trailers frame (assuming it even has much of a frame back there - some do not). Details will vary depending on the trailer's chassis and the receiver used.  You may have to make a bracket of some sort from angle iron.

It used to be that any hitch shop or body shop would weld up a hitch for this sort of thing, but liability concerns have scared off a lot of them.

My wife thinks I'm nuts to try it!
I agree with your wife.  ;)

Gary I wish I had said that, cuz that's typical of me.  But My sentiments exactly

Towing a bass boat behind a fifth wheel is pretty common here in Texas.  If you want to go camping and fishing that's a way to do it. Is it safe? That depends on the driver. You would be correct in saying that putting a boat behind the fifth wheel makes the total rig less controlable.  You would also be correct in saying that hitching a firth wheel to a pickup makes the total package more difficult to control.

8and29fans,
I noticed you got a lot of advise and opinions but no answer to your question.  Although I don't have much use for Junior or Kevin I'll  help you out (LOL). McGills Welding in Lewisville, Tx 972 436-7498 will build your receiver for about $200. There is also a place in Granbury that will build a whole new bumper complete with receiver for $480. I will try to find his number and let you know.

8and29fans said:
Hello!  I want to install a hitch on my fifth wheel trailer to tow a small boat or motorcycle trailer.  Where can I get a hitch that will fit?  does it have to be custom made?   It is a Terry (fleetwood prroduct). I assume that it will be attached to two I-beams that are the main structural members of the frame. Do they make bolt-on, or will it have to be welded?  thanks for all input...

Blu Ox makes a universal  fit 5th wheel 3 receiver hitch for 5th wheels... and on theire information site, you can locate towing laws for triples as well.

http://www.towingworld.com/

[edit]Link made live.[/edit]

Glad it's legal to tow where you intend. It sure is a monster train and I wouldn't want to stop for fuel either. :) Just be sure everything is good with the hitch. I, too, have seen many of these rigs, even in states where they are not allowed.

Doesn't som states require a Class A Commercial Drivers Liscense?  At one time ILLINOIS did, Not so sure anymore.

Shayne said:
Doesn't som states require a Class A Commercial Drivers Liscense?  At one time ILLINOIS did, Not so sure anymore.

CA requires a Class A license AND a double tow endorsement.

Ron said:
Personally I think any state that allows this type of towing without training and certification should be held liable for any damage or injuries caused by untrained drivers towing double trailers.  Sometimes laws just don't protect the public.  In some states if an RVer happens to hold a valid CDL they cannot tow two trailers of any kind without getting an endorsement.  However, any Joe not holding a CDL can hook up his 5th wheel and tie a trailer behind that and be on his way. Montana is one such state. Just plain stupid IMHO.  Personally I think you should listen to your wife on this one.

Can you quote any accident statistics to show why your stance is correct?
Texas also allows RV double tows.
So does Idaho.
So does Wyoming.
So does Colorado.
So does Utah.
So does Nevada.
California is the ONLY state that I know of that requires a Class A CDL with doubles endorsement for towing RV doubles.
I have never heard of an accident caused by RV doubles here (Montana), and almost anything goes here.

The laws vary widely by state.  Some states do require that the first trailer be a 5er.  Some don't.
Some states require that the second trailer be a watercraft.  Some don't.
Some states don't allow RV doubles at all.
Maximum length can vary from 55 to 75 feet, depending on state.
Note that we are talking about RV double towing here, NOT commercial doubles.  Different rules apply.
Reciprocity does NOT apply.  Just because it is legal in your state doesn't mean Washington will allow you to enter with RV doubles.
While there are lists of towing laws available in various publications, and on the 'net, I don't trust them.  There have been many inaccuracies pointed out by people who should know.  It is best to check with the appropriate authorities in your state and every state you plan to enter.
Any custom hitch shop should be able to build a quite adequate receiver hitch for a 5er.
If your trailer is new, there may be warranty issues that you should consider.
Good luck.

[edit]Removed personal attack[/edit]

I double tow.  14,000 miles last year.  I bought a Wal-Mart wireless security camera and 5 inch monitor and plug camera into trailer 12 volt and mount in back window and put mini tv on console of truck.  Cost $49. and works like a charm.  (You have to remember left is right and right is left looking back)  Go for it.  Alan

I have never heard of an accident caused by RV doubles here (Montana), and almost anything goes here.

A fatal double tow accident occurred a few years ago between Conrad and Great Falls, Mt.  The RV, pickup, 5th wheel, and second trailer combination lost control while passing a loaded fuel truck and ended up all smashed up in the median.  Both passengers in the RV were killed, truck driver was very upset, along with other drivers traveling in the opposite direction when the accident occurred.

In Montana an endorsement or special license is not required to double tow unless you hold a CDL.  All CDL holders are required to have an endorsement to double tow even their RV.

Please let us know when and where you are towing so we can stay clear by about 300 miles.

Back
Top Bottom