Want to tow boat behind fifth wheel, where to buy hitch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its funny you can tell who is from state where they dont allow it.  Here in Utah I see people doing it all the time.  I've never seen or even heard of a set up like this getting in an accident around here.  Its really common to see 5ers with a trailer fullof four wheelers behind it.  People do it when they go hunting.  My uncle pulled a 5er and a 20 ft boat around for 10 years or so until he got a bigger boat.  He never had a single problem.  He also is a long haul trucker though and pulls triples for a living.  I dont see how a 5er with another (albiet smaller) trailer in tow is more dangerous than pulling doubles or triples commercially.  As long as you have brakes and sway control, and are a smart and educated driver, I think its no more dangerous than these people pulling a boat behind these huge motor homes.  As long as you are within your tow limits and laws of course.

He also is a long haul trucker though and pulls triples for a living.  I dont see how a 5er with another (albiet smaller) trailer in tow is more dangerous than pulling doubles or triples commercially.

And in the state of California he would have a commercial class A license with a double tow endorsement having passed a medical exam, a law exam and a driving exam.    Moreover he would be towing with a heavy duty tractor since double towing with a passenger vehicle is illegal in CA -- period.  (Pickups are passenger vehicles.)

Every state has its regulations about such tows.  California is generally strict and for a reason.  I have driven Utah highways and I drive CA highways most every day.  I would hate to try, or even see, an amateur double tow using a pickup on, say, I-5 or most any other highway in the state, with our rural traffic loads, much less any urban freeways.    I suspect the CHP would take my view of the matter.   

Come to think of it, I do not see many professional double tows around CA.  Some, but not nearly as many as I saw in Utah.

I totally agree though I dont think an amateur driver should be pulling a triple tow.  Honestly I think there should be a necessary endorsement for pulling a triple tow if you dont have a CDL.  But in the hands of an experienced, educated driver, I feel that a triple isn't necessarily a safety risk.  But thats just me.

But in the hands of an experienced, educated driver, I feel that a triple isn't necessarily a safety risk.  But thats just me.

Educated is the word to concentrate on here.   A commercial driver gets specific schooling and experience and must pass competence tests.  The rest of us drivers here have limited our schooling to something in high school or at the hands of old Daddy and that in a ordinary sedan.    I have met exactly one forum member out of thousands here who has a commercial class A.    There are others no doubt, but only one has introduced himself to me. 

He was probably competent to pull a double tow.  The rest just get away with it.  So far.

Some people will try to triple pull with a F150  Too  but that sure doesn't make it right.  Then Some people jump in lakes off bridges  would your want to follow.     I have an ILL Class A Dr. Lisc with tag tow and still won"t do it.  It's a matter of common sense or no sense at all. JMHO

See Below for apology for mistype  But it really is Triple tow.,

I dont think anyone ever said that pulling a triple tow with an F150 was smart.  I was under the impression we were talking about staying within the towing and legal limits of your truck and state law.  I honestly have never seen or heard of one of these being in an accident here in Northern Utah.  That doesn't mean that everyone who has pulled them has been qualified but I think that a qualified driver should be able to handle a triple tow.  Its funny getting off the freeway today I was behind a guy with a brand new F350 TD pulling a 5er and a utility trailer behind it.  Looked pretty stable while he was slowing down coming off the ramp.  It was a long train, I know I wouldnt want to be pulling something that long and heavy.  But my whole point is that someone who is qualified should be able to drive one of these.  People need to have a way to get their toys around.  JMO

What you're discussing is NOT a triple tow, it's a DOUBLE tow.  A triple tow is a tow vehicle and THREE trailers behind.  I don't think even the most ignorant of RVers would ever try a triple tow.  We see a few true triple tows on the highways out west, mostly in Utah, but even the drivers don't like that configuration.  They look like a snake going down the road if there's any cross wind.

Ned,

Technically you are correct but I have always heard it referred to as triple towing. Never could figure out why except there are three "vehicles" involved. Even those in the industry call it triple towing. The ad for a platform I was interested in for hauling the bike said they are considered a triple tow by law enforcement. It's just a platform with a dolly wheel but, when attached to a motorhome with a toad it's triple towing.

Check the Road Carriers Atlas for the diagram of the different configurations, there is only one that's called a triple tow and has 3 trailers.  The others are doubles.  Misuse of a term doesn't make it correct, no matter how often it's misused.  The industry does define it correctly.

Sorry  I meant Double    Was talking with the wife and triple came up in the conversation and I just typed away  Sorry

Ron said:
A fatal double tow accident occurred a few years ago between Conrad and Great Falls, Mt.  The RV, pickup, 5th wheel, and second trailer combination lost control while passing a loaded fuel truck and ended up all smashed up in the median.  Both passengers in the RV were killed, truck driver was very upset, along with other drivers traveling in the opposite direction when the accident occurred.

In Montana an endorsement or special license is not required to double tow unless you hold a CDL.  All CDL holders are required to have an endorsement to double tow even their RV.

OK, it was a "double tow accident".  Was the loss of control CAUSED by the double tow?  Would the driver have lost control even if he didn't have the second trailer?  I lived in Great Falls for several years('96 to '04), don't remember hearing about this accident.
My point was, I don't recall ever hearing about an accident that was CAUSED by double towing.  I'm sure doubles have been involved in accidents, but to say that any accident involving doubles was BECAUSE of the double tow would require some proof from the investigator, seems to me.
Then again, if the investigators find an empty alcoholic beverage container under the drivers seat of a vehicle involved in an accident, it automatically becomes an "alcohol related accident".  I suppose the same thinking would apply to doubles, it must be a "doubles related accident".

According to the truck driver, that was not sure he was going to survive this event, the last trailer in the consist began swaying as the guy pulled out to pass him and progressably became worse as the RV got along side of him.  The truck driver said he pulled over to the right shoulder as far as possible and was slowing down.  As the RV double tow went passed him he said it was swaying all over the place and then ended up in the medium where the the pickup rolled and the two trailers continued right over on top the pickup.  I think one could safely reason that the major contributor to this accident was loss of control of the double tow  beginning with the swaying of the last trailer.

Lets face it in States, like Montana, Texas, and others where anybody can just hook up and start towing a train of two trailers with no training or certification is just plan incompetence on the part of the regulatory authorities IMHO.  In Lewistown by our place on the truck bypass I once saw a motorhome towing a boat and behind the boat a trailer with two skidoos on it.  The motorhome was an older Pace Arrow so the hitch was probably rated for less than 5k.  The guy was probably at least ten feet over length and overweight too.

Well, OK, one accident out of the hundreds of double tows on the roads of Montana every year, that MAY have been caused by the double tow (eye-witness accounts are rarely accurate, in fact, it has been shown that if there are 6 eye-witnesses, there will be at least 4 different descriptions of what happened, and there is a good chance none of them will be entirely accurate).
But, let's operate under the assumption that the witness's description is mostly accurate.  What license did the driver of the double tow have?  Did he, perchance, have a Class A CDL?  If not, would that piece of paper(or plastic) have prevented the accident?  Given the antics of some people around the state, I rather doubt it.  We must assume that since these people are operating vehicles, they are licensed drivers.  That little laminated plastic card in no way guarantees that the holder has excellent situational awareness, is driving a safe vehicle, has paid attention to safe towing practices, etc.  It doesn't even mean that the person behind the wheel can even see beyond the hood!  Many of them don't even know when to use the turn signals, and if they do use them, they forget to turn them off for several miles!  Then you REALLY believe that requiring a Class A CDL with Doubles Endorsement (like California does) will make towing doubles safer ?
Dream on.  Remember the promises made about the "open container law"?  Fewer drunk drivers, less trash on the highways, etc.  I haven't noticed much improvement, have you?  Remember the ads?  "If you drive drunk, you WILL be caught, and you WILL go to jail!"  How many drinkers do you know who regularly drive drunk, and have never been caught?  Apparently, the Attorney General and the head of the Highway Patrol don't realize how much of a fool these ads make them appear to be!
If I thought even a little bit that a special license would enhance safety for double tows, I would be behind you one hundred per cent.  I simply don't believe it would make even a little bit of difference
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it, and make things worse.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom