Sharing The Road With Semi's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caz

This may be old hat for old-timers, but for newbies there could be good tips here...

As a retired Tractor-Trailer driver, and now full time RVer, I thought I might share some insights, tips, and safety factors about sharing the road with those big rigs.

First, let's look at the tractor trailer combo.  Loaded, that baby is far heavier than you.  It is going to take them more time to stop, more time to get up to speed, and more time to get up those hills and mountains.  Give them room to get onto the highway; move over into an adjacent lane, if you can, as soon as you see them getting onto, or coming down the get-on ramp. Give them plenty of notice if you are turning off the highway or road.  They require more time to stop or slow down. If you are slowing down while tackling a mountain or hill, put your emergency flashers on. This alerts everyone behind you that you are slow and requirering extra time.

Those big semi's push around an enormous amount of air, both in front and behind them.  Be aware of that, especially on windy days. the best thing to do is to slow down so you stay in control of your own rig.  The faster you go the less tire you have on the road. Between the wind and the wind sheer created by the semi's, you need plenty of tire on the pavement to stay safe.  This is ten times more important if the road is also wet!  Also, be sure your roof vents and windows are closed when you travel on windy days, or if you'll be traveling a route with lots of semi trucks.

Be mindful of the tires on those Semi's, too. They can heat up really fast, especially on hot days and in the mountains where there is a lot of stress on the tires, and they can blow out. Usually, there is a small puff of smoke just before the tire blows.  Those tires can also kick up a lot of debris and lose stones, which can, if they hit your windshield, crack it, or if they hit your rig, leave a dent. The point is, leave yourself lots of room between your rig and that big rig!  Rule of thumb is; If You Can't See Their Side Mirror, They Can't See You!  Thus, they don't even know you are behind them!  Semi Drivers will often move to the far right onto the shoulder to check to see what might be behind them, and then the tires kick up that shoulder garbage.  They do it for safety; it's the only way they have to check to see if someone is following too closely.

It is not just the tires to keep an eye on, also be mindful of their air brakes, especially driving through a mountainous area. Those brakes can catch fire or fail altogether!  The best thing you can do is keep a close eye, front and back of you, as you travel through the mountains and closely monitor the semi's around you!  Give them plenty of room - especially if you pass one and then come back into your lane in front of them!  Give them plenty of time to maneuver using your turn signals and emergency flashers earlier than you would normally with just car traffic.

If you come off an exit behind them, to a stop behind them, stay back a bit. That rig is going to roll backward just a bit before it starts going forward once the driver takes his foot off the brake.  Keep some space between you and that semi rig.

In Rest Areas and Truck Stops

If you pull into a rest area and use the truck parking lot, be sure you park in such a way that you are not hidden from the big rig drivers.  Don't pull all the way forward in the long parking space so it appears the space is open.  Pull in so truck drivers can see that the spot is taken.

As for truck stops; be aware of your rig and the surrounding truck traffic.  Bear in mind that these drivers are on a tight schedule, and or, can be tired and exhausted after a long day's drive. Truck stop managers are always going to cater to the semi rig drivers first because they spend the most money with them.  Most newer truck stops are now adding RV diesel lanes.  Use these lanes instead of the semi diesel lanes if at all possible. 

Seek alternative overnight parking like at a Cabella's in the area if at all possible.  Legally, these truck drivers -have- to shut their rigs down and stop driving after so many hours, so a spot for the night is imperative to them; they have no choice in the matter!  They can be heavily fined and lose their jobs for not shutting down in time.

If you are going to stop overnight at a truck stop, watch the truck pattern around the diesel pumps, entrances and exits, and be sure you are out of the way of the wide swings the truckers need to make. Tuck yourself in a space that does not interfer with the comings and goings of the truck traffic, and be sure you pull-in in such a way that the spot you take does not look empty to a driver seeking an overnight spot. 

Don't let your kids navigate the parking lot by themselves! Including the teenagers! Even experienced truck drivers are killed in the parking lots of rest areas and truck stops because another driver could not see them! 

Let the manager of the truck stop know you are there and are going to spend the night. Let them know where you are parked. If they ask you to move to another part of the  lot, do it gladly because there is certainly a reason for it.  Don't put down your levelers!  They can ruin the parking area and can make managers not want to allow further RV overnight parking. Don't put out your tip-outs and take up extra space.  Be mindful as to how others can park around you.  Park in such a way that your generator exhaust is not blowing into someone else's windows.  Expect those semi rigs to idle all night long.  Expect a lot of noise.  Be polite, be aware, be patient. Be safe.

Truckers have one of the most dreadful, yet most necessary of jobs in the country. Without them, groceries and medicines, and everything needful across this country, stops.  Give them the space to get their job done.  Give yourself the space to stay safe around them.

lots of road wisdom and an excellent post.

thank you for saying all the things I wished all non-trucker people would realize, it will make everyone safer.
I know personally ..(sorry)... and I've seen other Truckers creating dangerous situations, when they loose their patience.

( I found however,  a really great air horn... can be pretty good stress release... :) )

I'm also retired, and I proudly stay out of the way of everybody that's still 'on the clock'.

Thanks for a very good "lesson" post, caz.  We took a driving course from a retired truck driver and learned most of what you mentioned.  Excellent advice!

ArdraF

We don't overnight anywhere except a bonafide campground/Rv Park. I respect the point that the truckers are WORKING and MUST get off the road at certain points. I would hope to be mindful of that if we ever choose to stay at a truck stop, or even when we stop at a rest area for lunch. I've seen this point posted before for both truck stops and rest areas, and there were some who responded who were less than sympathetic to the truckers' plight. I'm afraid some RVers feel they have as much right to utilize these spaces. While, in theory, they do, and the truckers certainly don't own these spaces, I hope we RVers can be polite and considerate.

Great post, CAZ. My late husband was a professional driver and taught me a lot about sharing the road, and how to be safe around big rigs. He used to say the biggest is the rightest, and as you said, they are heavier, so take longer to stop and longer to get going, so we just need to stay out of their way, no matter what we are driving. I am stunned when I see idiot 4-wheelers passing then pulling back right in front of a semi real close. I shudder and shake my head.

Good stuff, CAZ.  I always yield to trucks getting onto the highway if possible.  And leave my rig out where truckers can see its taking up a lane at rest stops.  What's the deal with disabled parking lanes in rest stops for trucks?  Are there a lot of disabled truck drivers?  Maybe that's for disabled RVers.

Ron

Caz, could help me to understand the whole headlight flipping and tail light flashing while trucks pass on the highway.  What is expected out everyone on the road in regards to passing etiquette?  I've had this happen several times but still unsure what to do.  Thanks

Truckers will often flash their headlights to indicate that it's safe to pull back into the lane after you've passed them. Flashing the tail lights means thank you. Also, you flash low beams only - especially at night.

One other thing that I see all the time is people hanging out in the center lane, instead of traveling in the right lane. Frequently, trucks are prohibited from using the left lane and they can't get around slow pokes who don't know enough to get out of the way.

Camben said:
Caz, could help me to understand the whole headlight flipping and tail light flashing while trucks pass on the highway.  What is expected out everyone on the road in regards to passing etiquette?  I've had this happen several times but still unsure what to do.  Thanks

My understanding is that when YOU are passing a large truck, once YOU are clear to rejoin your lane, the trucker usually flashes his lowbeams and to thank him, you just throw your flashers on for a few seconds; now for the opposite, when a trucker passes you, when he is clear to rejoin your lane, just flash your lowbeams and he should also thank you by flashing his flashers.
p.s. even driving my car, if a trucker driving in the right hand lane and puts his flashers to pass, I'll slow down and flash my lowbeams to let him in... what's my rush, I'm not paid to drive, I'll just pass him later on !

Thanks for the post caz, excellent information.

I might add..never run side by side with an 18 wheeler. If you are going to pass him do it and do it promptly.

I was in a Miata overtaking an 18 wheeler when his driver side outside rear tire exploded. I missed being hit by the tread luckily but developed a respect for exploding tires.

Arch Hoagland said:
Thanks for the post caz, excellent information.

I might add..never run side by side with an 18 wheeler. If you are going to pass him do it and do it promptly.

I was in a Miata overtaking an 18 wheeler when his driver side outside rear tire exploded. I missed being hit by the tread luckily but developed a respect for exploding tires.

Yeah, it amazes me to see a car going a decent speed in the left lane, approach a semi, then take 40 forever's to to get by it. Stay on the gas and get on by the semi for everyone's well being.

kdbgoat said:
Yeah, it amazes me to see a car going a decent speed in the left lane, approach a semi, then take 40 forever's to to get by it. Stay on the gas and get on by the semi for everyone's well being.

And that's not just for passing semis, either. I see the same thing when some folks are passing cars, RVs, trucks, whatever. Even on a 4+ lane divided highway, being predictable is a safety thing. I'm constantly frustrated by folks doing a changeup in any of a number of things, not just rate of passing. Consider the other drivers out there -- if everyone did, there'd be a lot fewer crashes (I hate to call them accidents -- they're not).

just flash your lowbeams and he should also thank you by flashing his flashers.
I've noticed that in recent years that's a trend, but it used to be (and still often is) the clearance/tail lights that were flashed, using the "ICC switch." That's what I was taught when I drove, and it was pretty much universal until the last few years. In a car I'd flash the parking/tail lights.

Many motorhomes have that "ICC switch," which, when pressed, will turn on the clearance/tail lights if your headlights are off and turn them off if the headlights are on.

Good post Caz.  What are your thoughts to motorhomes getting in line with semi's while driving?  Not really drafting (not being super close) or doing anything stupid/unsafe/annoying but just "following".  They do that with each other and I've always wondered if they care if it is a motorhome or a semi behind them.

Thank you Sir.  Perfect information and should be published in the Library on the site as a valuable resource.

JFNM said:
Good post Caz.  What are your thoughts to motorhomes getting in line with semi's while driving?  Not really drafting (not being super close) or doing anything stupid/unsafe/annoying but just "following".  They do that with each other and I've always wondered if they care if it is a motorhome or a semi behind them.

I find that driving on Interstates going through a large town, the best lane to travel is the one that truckers use, so I do follow them to get across town, for sure, they know where they are heading. If I do get behind a trucker that drives the same speed as I do, I will follow the leader, far enough to see his mirrors and I will let him know that I'm there.

legrandnormand said:
I find that driving on Interstates going through a large town, the best lane to travel is the one that truckers use, so I do follow them to get across town, for sure, they know where they are heading. If I do get behind a trucker that drives the same speed as I do, I will follow the leader, far enough to see his mirrors and I will let him know that I'm there.

I do the same - always wondered if they found this annoying or otherwise?  I've considered asking them while at the pumps but everyone is generally busy so I hate to mess up the flow.  I always use the ICC signals and accommodate them in every way possible by watching far down the road.  This seems to be the biggest problem - people are just not paying attention far enough down the road (e.g. seeing them turning onto the on-ramp well before you get there and knowing that they will be merging).  Here in the west, they have always treated me VERY kindly/respectfully and I try to do the same (both on the road, at the pumps, rest areas, etc.).

JFNM said:

It's ok to follow behind a semi rig - just follow far enough behind that he / she knows you are there, and at night, be sure your headlights aren't blinding him / her - they have big mirrors and tilted at an angle to try to capture as much road as possible behind them.  Try to keep maybe a quarter mile or so behind so the driver is not being blinded at night.  It is much more difficult for truck drivers at night - yet many choose to run at night because there is less traffic.  Then there is always the wildlife issue they are always scanning for at night, too.

It can make a truck driver rather nervous when those behind are constantly edging in and out in an attempt to pass, especially if they are too close to the rig.

Thanks for the post, Caz.  Our son drives for Roehl Trucking out of Wisconsin.  I don't worry about his driving skills, but I sure do worry about whatever might be coming at him or behind him!

JFNM said:
I do the same - always wondered if they found this annoying or otherwise?  I've considered asking them while at the pumps but everyone is generally busy so I hate to mess up the flow.  I always use the ICC signals and accommodate them in every way possible by watching far down the road.  This seems to be the biggest problem - people are just not paying attention far enough down the road (e.g. seeing them turning onto the on-ramp well before you get there and knowing that they will be merging).  Here in the west, they have always treated me VERY kindly/respectfully and I try to do the same (both on the road, at the pumps, rest areas, etc.).

Be aware that when driving through the cities, most truckers will take and hold the center lane so they are not in the way of on / off ramps, and most are constantly scanning both front and back with heightened alertness.  They want in and out of that city interstate driving as soon as possible.  Too many chances for 'mistakes' and accidents. 

If you are going to follow the driver through, be aware that he may be looking for his exit, and may make sudden lane changes.  Give him / her the room.  It is far harder for him/her to turn around when missing an exit than anyone else on the road.

You might give him plenty of room, but watch out for that driver who comes wizzing by you and grabs that open space between you and him.  Happens often, and expect it.  Don't close up that space, just drop back and maintain your safe distance.

Truckers will appreciate and be grateful for someone who is following and doing it correctly and safely.

Tip - if you don't know;  When looking at overhead exit signs in the cities, if the Exit Number is posted on the LEFT of the big sign at the top or bottom, the exit is going to exit to your left, and if it is positioned on the RIGHT of the big sign at top or bottom, the exit is going to be to your right.  This works 99% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom