Tricycle Motorcycles, what's the deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blw2

So my wife dreams of getting a motorcycle for use as a toad once my kids move out of the picture....
Every time we are out on an RV trip and she sees one of those tricycle bikes she comments about this idea of hers.  I think she like the look of them, thinking they look more stable.

I used to ride motorcycles years ago, having grown up riding dirt and MX bikes as a kid, and I had a mid sized street bike back in my 20's.  I have mixed feelings about the idea of these tricycles

It looks like those newer style ones, such as Can-Am, with two front wheels would be better in my thinking, but it's the old fashioned ones that catch her eye.

Memories of the old stories about those 3 wheeled ATV's, and about how dangerous they were, are what I think of.... and how you just don't see them anymore...having been replaced by the 4x versions

Not that I'm thinking about getting into it any time soon, just a curiosity point for discussion.....
Tricycle.... pros? cons? comments?

I have two friends with trikes, one of each style. They both had to give up riding bikes due medical issues, but the trikes let them keep thier knees in the breeze.

I saw a trike the other day towing a fairly large trailer. I wondered why he just didn't buy a car. It would have been much cheaper and easier.

SeilerBird said:
I saw a trike the other day towing a fairly large trailer. I wondered why he just didn't buy a car. It would have been much cheaper and easier.
Maybe it just wouldn't be the same.  Like HappyWanderer described "knees in the breese".  Once you've been there its hard to give it up.

I used to have an old Honda 3 wheeler ATV, the problem back then was no differential. Tough to turn.

The newer ones (like the GoldWing conversions and the CanAm) have differentials and are pretty easy to ride. Nothing like the old ATVs.

Personally, I prefer a good lean (as you can see from my avatar).

I thought I also remembered an issue of flipping, in short stops or sudden turns....probably in uneven terrain and so on.

Yeah, I've known of some stories where folks were using them due to injuries or other physical handicaps.....
but just seeing folks ride on the road, It looks like a lot of folks are choosing them that wouldn't have to have them.

Did you check out the Can-Am Spider.  It even has power steering and tech that prevent the rider from flipping the Trie.  They were offering free motorcycle class to upgrade your D/L in Florida.  Some areas will let you take one for a spin. Spoke to a Snowbird who came down to So. Fla from Canada.  Have a great time.  Now the question will it fit in a Toyhauler.

blw2 said:
I thought I also remembered an issue of flipping, in short stops or sudden turns....probably in uneven terrain and so on.

When you tried to turn (since there was no differential) you had to get the outside rear wheel off the ground. You did this by leaning hard, and if you leaned too much you rolled it right over; if you didn't lean enough (or didn't weigh much) you probably ran into something. If you were standing (or didn't weigh much) and hit the front brake really hard, the rear was light enough to come up and do what we call a "stoppie".  For inexperienced folks (and lightweight kiddos) they were very difficult to control.

They were great fun, but I managed to learn how to ride without too much damage to myself. I got rid of it probably around 1982.

SeilerBird said:
After many years on 2 wheels, and pulling various trailers, wife is no longer physically comfortable on back of the bike so I added the sidecar. Others go for trikes. This is how we have been traveling lately, still working on the recently purchased toyhauler for the future.
If you ride you'll understand, if not I won't waste my breath....

Attachments

• Trailer 004.jpg
    Trailer 004.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Trailer 003.jpg
    Trailer 003.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 59
We still see the odd side car, they are neat but really change the way the bike handles. Anybody see the sequence in Cheech and Chong's 'Up in Smoke' where the sidecar separates from the bike? It is hilarious.

We triked our Goldwing in 2003 after my husband had brain surgery because we were not sure about his balance.  I have my license and we take turns driving the trike on long trips.  Yes, that may have been us pulling a pop-up camper behind our trike because that is what we enjoyed at the time. Now that we have gotten older....not so much.  ;) The trike is very safe to drive and fun to too.  We have traveled to Yellowstone and The Tetons more than once, all over CO, SD, and other fun places. Yes, we have even had bison in Yellowstone and Custer State Park closely share the road with us.  ;D 

Front single trikes are unstable when braking in a turn. Front dual trikes are stable in that maneuver because the wheel is out there. It's all leverage.

Google Goldwing quad. They make both front and rear trike kits for Goldwings, and lots of people have put BOTH on the bike.

My question is... if you put 4 wheels on a Goldwing, do you have to license it as a car, since motorcycle is legally defined as 3 wheels or less?

as a lifelong motorcyclist I enjoy riding all types of bikes, trikes and side hacks.

The new trikes are wonderfully well designed and engineered highway machines....  but they have the same problem as all trikes or sidecar hacks in a metropolitan area.
3 wheeled bikes have all the disadvantages of a motorcycle,    as well as the disadvantages of a car. 

Example...riding any m/c or a trike,  the cars don't really see you or don't care about you,  but you have some great advantages on a two wheel vehicle in accident evasion,  as in you can go between tight spaces and turn much quicker ride up on the sidewalks if you need to get out of the way.

not so on a 3 wheeled cycle,  you are still invisible and exposed like a motorcycle....but you have to drive it like a car.

(IMO)....But, it seems like almost everything that's fun is a little dangerous.

My toy cars are a 94 and 95 Miata, I passed a couple with matching tricycle motorcycles that were wider, taller and probably close to the same weight as my car. The tires were a much larger size.

They were older, and Im sure if youre a motorcycle enthusiast who cant (or afraid to) ride on two wheels then three is the next best thing.

At that point I would rather have my convertibles than my motorcycle. I can put the top down and get the wind, wear a seat belt and be seen, driving season is a little longer and no need to check the forecast before leaving for work or taking a day trip. I would say practicality and storage, but you dont buy two seaters or bikes with this in mind. Havent ridden or driven a three wheel bike, but I will say the Polaris Slingshot looks like a pretty large waste of money for what you get....

Take a look at the Slingshot motorcycle mfg by Polaris.  Interesting.....but still leaning towards a Boss Hoss Trike when I have to migrate that direction. 350CUI/385HP.  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom