1994 Coachmen Santara (Class-A) - Fuel Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmathews

Does anyone know where in the world the fuel pump is located on the 1994 Santara?  The chassis is a Ford Heavy Duty with 460 EFI.  I have chased the fuel lines from the engine down through the frame rails.  Found the fuel filter but all the lines disappear just behind the differential.  It seams like the fuel pump might be above the tank but not a very logical place to put it.

I tried to get info from Coachmenrv.com but they have washed their hands of the older rv's and owners.

rmathews said:
Does anyone know where in the world the fuel pump is located on the 1994 Santara?  The chassis is a Ford Heavy Duty with 460 EFI.  I have chased the fuel lines from the engine down through the frame rails.  Found the fuel filter but all the lines disappear just behind the differential.  It seams like the fuel pump might be above the tank but not a very logical place to put it.

I tried to get info from Coachmenrv.com but they have washed their hands of the older rv's and owners.
If it's MPFI, you can bet it's in the tank. The gasoline around these high pressure fuel pumps helps the pump keep cooler so it will last longer.

But this  usually makes it a big hassle to replace. Usually the fuel tank must be removed to get the pump out, but not always.

-Don-  SSF, CA

Awesome, thanks everyone.  Never would have considered it to be in the tank. 

rmathews said:
Awesome, thanks everyone.  Never would have considered it to be in the tank.
That is typical, these days. The fuel pump is inside the tank of all my many cars, trucks, RV, SUV.

Even many  old carb vehicles have the fuel pump inside  the fuel tank.

Even my newest motorcycle has the fuel pump inside the fuel tank.

IOW, be surprised when the fuel pump is NOT in the fuel tank-- except in a boat! I think I heard it's illegal  for the fuel pump to be inside the fuel tank in a boat. That is because it's safer to suck the fuel  from a leaky fuel line than it is to push fuel into it.

-Don-  SSF, CA

This may be obvious, but it makes it much easier for the mechanic to drop the tank if it's closer to empty instead of full.

Lou Schneider said:
This may be obvious, but it makes it much easier for the mechanic to drop the tank if it's closer to empty instead of full.
Can be a real conundrum with a bad fuel pump. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom