Will walking on a roof damage it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biggersm

We have a Livin Lite 6 x 15 Toyhauler.  In spite of its size it is pretty difficult to get a cover on it unless I walk on the roof.  The roof is a sheet of stainless steel and the frame is all aluminum construction.  When I walk on it I can hear and feel some bending but there is no leak (yet).

BTW, walking on the roof really is a challenge with three drain vents, three roof vents, Air Conditioner, antenna, etc. but so far no accident but I sure would not want to be up there unless the corner jacks are down.

I'm not familiar with that model or its construction, but flexing is pretty common on RV roofs. Metal sheet over a metal frame, without any plywood or composite underneath, probably flexes more than most. How much weight it is rated for is something only the manufacturer can tell you.  I'm about 250 and walk around on my RV roof, but that means nothing with respect to yours.

From what I can see on the Living Lite 6x15 web page, that's not a stainless steel roof. The description says:

"ONE PIECE SINGLE‐PLY SUPERFLEX OLEFIN BASED ROOF MEMBRANE W/AZDEL DECKING"

Azdel is a composite material.

https://www.livinlite.com/6x15vrv-overview.php

My RV has a Rubber roof but it's about the same as the kitchen floor when walking on it, I'm 315 Pounds shower weight.  No problems save I really do not like the top end of a ladder.

Back
Top Bottom