Remote temperature monitoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pugapooh

As we hope to take our pug with us,can anyone advise on systems to alert us to power outages and rising temps?  I can't see us leaving her for more than a few hours but I worry.  I don't have a smart phone but it does have Bluetooth capability.  What about finding pet sitters in CGs?  Thanks for any thoughts on the dog situation.

A couple options are discussed in these two links:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,97273.0.html
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,97500.0.html

Every time I see this discussion I wonder why people assume there will still be wifi if the power goes off (certainly the most common cause of a lost air conditioner). I have my own wifi and its hooked to an inverter output, but that was accidental, not to ensure full time wifi.

Do be sure you have battery backup for your wifi if you choose to rely on one if these auto notification systems.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
Every time I see this discussion I wonder why people assume there will still be wifi if the power goes off (certainly the most common cause of a lost air conditioner). I have my own wifi and its hooked to an inverter output, but that was accidental, not to ensure full time wifi.

Do be sure you have battery backup for your wifi if you choose to rely on one if these auto notification systems.

Ernie
Set up a phone as a mobile hotspot. It will continue to function even if the power goes out.

I realize there are ways to do it, but many seem to plan on using park wifi and I doubt I you can count on it being battery backed. Heck! Many of us geezers don't even have a smart phone, let alone an extra one.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:

Ernie

The answer is YES, the hot spot and the monitor has an on board rechargeable battery. But you hit the nail on the head as redundancy is important. Also I like the idea of having my own source of connection that has not let me down as of today. 

We just started using Temp Stick from Idealsciences.com.  We can check the temp with our cell phone or computer and it will send an alert if the temperature goes above (or below) a level we preset.  We use it with our Verizon hot spot and so far it is great.  It has a one year battery life and our hot spot also has a battery so they will both operate if there is a power failure.

We travel with indoor cats.  When away, we leave the bed room air conditioner turned and leave all the windows open in the front of the motorhome.  At least those that crank open.  Access to the motorhome would be difficult if someone tried to break in while we were gone since the opening would not accommodate an adult.  If we're boon docking in extreme heat, we do not leave them alone.  Not sure how we would handle this if we had sliding windows that are much larger.  Guess I'd figure out a way to lock them partially open to at least make access difficult for a petty thief. 

Back
Top Bottom