Television Antenna/Satelite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 2000 33 Itasca. Can yo pick up Television on a antenna anymore? This unit also has a satellite? how do i get them to work? What is everyone else doing?

depends on where you are going.
It is actually very suprising how many stations are broadcast.  We cut cable several years ago in our house.  I put an amplified antenna in our attic, and we pull in a lot of channels.  I have forgotten how many, but ballpark 30 or so.

In the RV, we are not usually as lucky as that but most of the time thatere are a few..... but it's a flashback in that we don't channel surf at home.  We have a tivo DVR and so we record stuff and watch on our schedule.  In the RV its channel surfing and you take what you get.... which often isn't what I want.

There are smartphone apps that help you locate stations that you are likely to receive.

You might go to this website and tool around with some what if scenarios based on the places you might be traveling to, just to get an idea of what you might pick up
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13

Otherwise, we are streaming through our phone as a hotspot, to an amazon fire stick....when we have decent cell coverage or wifi.

To answer the satellite question, we'd need to know more about which dish you have on the roof. A make/model would be a big help, but even a photo may help.

I have a crank up roof antenna and direct tv. I use the crank up antenna for local news and weather and use the satellite for news from the NJ NY area as well as the upper satellite channels.  I get a perfect picture from the crank up antenna. I also have one tv that is still the old fashioned type that I use a digital converter with the picture is also perfect 

For tv via the antenna,  if the rv has the original tube type tv you will need a digital box OR replace the old tv sets with new flat screen models.

For satellite,  if it is the original dish you probably have a Winegard single lnb dish.  I replaced mine in 2005, and the replacement is now obsolete and I am back to using a portable dish.  The less expensive opt-in is a portable.  Many portables are automatic. What you need depends on what you want to be able to do.

There is plenty of broadcast tv, even some HD. Antenna reception is best within 20-30 miles of a metro area, but even rural areas often have a few channels. If you still have the original non-digital tvs, you will need a digital to analog converter, since broadcast tv has been digital since mid-2009. You can get one most anywhere that has electronics, e.g. at Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon or Ebay.
http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/digital-tv-converter-boxes

Your existing tv antenna is fine - you don't need a "digital" antenna.

The satellite dish or dome will have been set up for either Dish or Direct TV service. It also requires a satellite receiver that matches the brand of service, and a subscription to that service.  However, if it is an automatic-seeking type, chances are that it is obsolete and won't find the correct satellites anymore. It is often as cheap to replace those as to get them upgraded.

I usually get several stations over the air with my crank-up batwing analog antenna.
Switched out both older TVs with newer Samsung digital  flat screens that operate off AC and 14 volts DC.  Ditched the AC power cords and made cables for direct DC so no need for inverters anymore.

There is also a device called a slingbox that takes your home tv system and sends it over the internet to your RV tv.  To make it work, you have to have good wifi in the rv park.  Most of the time I have found that wifi is not quite good enough to use the slingbox.  The "best" high end is a portable satellite antenna and directv or DISH.  Over the air HD broadcasts are excellent in metro areas.  In south Florida, we get maybe two dozen channels.  A newer lcd tv makes it easier.  I laugh that they are now advertising on tv to get a local antenna for your tv and cut the cable tv cord.

Back
Top Bottom