which generator ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcraig

I will be using a 1989  20ft Fleetwood Prowler Lynx for hunting and fishing . Strictly boondocking
I will be using Propane for cooking ,the water heater,the Refrigerator(Dometic 2501)And the Mr Heater Big Buddy when needed(well ventilated).
BUT
I have to use a Visionare V oxygen  continous flow concentrator while I sleep.
I have tried looking up the Visionare V online but can only find the Visionare 5 which I guess is just a newer version.
On the unit I have it says 115 Volt 60 HZ 3.0 A
In looking at the specs in the internet for the 5 model it says it uses about 290 watts an hour .

I am wanting to buy a good inexpensive Generator to run the  oxygen concentrator at night ,and the Lights for about 2 hours each night .It would also be nice if it would power the water Pump for a nightly shower .

I Have never owned a Travel Trailor so I have no idea how to figure the power(amps,Watts) I need to do this.
And what Inexpensive  good generator would suffice for this ?
Appreciate all help

Most any generator you could buy would do that much. They are rated in watts delivered, both Continuous and Peak (short time).  Your fridge in electric mode probably uses 250-300 watts as well, so your total 120v power consumption is probably in the 600-800 watt arena. A small genset with a rating of 1000  watts should cover that nicely.

Your water pump, lighting, and a few other appliances all use 12v power. They get it from the trailer battery, which of course needs occasional charging, which happens whenever the RV is plugged into shore power (a power outlet or the genset). The RV has a built-in charger and that probably uses another 100-200 watts of power (which I included in my previous estimate).

You could probably get by with something like this one, but it is going to be fairly noisy to run all night:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Pro-Technology-1-000-Watt-2-Stroke-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-56101/205151118
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Generac-iX-800-Running-Watts-Inverter-Portable-Generator/3151105

The big drawback in using a genset for this is noise and fuel consumption. Running a generator all night, especially a cheap one, tends to be loud. In fact, many RV parks and some camping areas won't even permit it.
An alternative is to use battery power and an inverter to provide power overnight, then recharge batteries from the generator during the day. You would need about 4  batteries to provide a constant 290 watts overnight, though.

I would recommend going on craigslist and getting a used 1000 or 2000 watt generator /inverter a Honda or Champion. Less noise and reliable.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Most any generator you could buy would do that much. They are rated in watts delivered, both Continuous and Peak (short time).  Your fridge in electric mode probably uses 250-300 watts as well, so your total 120v power consumption is probably in the 600-800 watt arena. A small genset with a rating of 1000  watts should cover that nicely.

Your water pump, lighting, and a few other appliances all use 12v power. They get it from the trailer battery, which of course needs occasional charging, which happens whenever the RV is plugged into shore power (a power outlet or the genset). The RV has a built-in charger and that probably uses another 100-200 watts of power (which I included in my previous estimate).

You could probably get by with something like this one, but it is going to be fairly noisy to run all night:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Pro-Technology-1-000-Watt-2-Stroke-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-56101/205151118
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Generac-iX-800-Running-Watts-Inverter-Portable-Generator/3151105

The big drawback in using a genset for this is noise and fuel consumption. Running a generator all night, especially a cheap one, tends to be loud. In fact, many RV parks and some camping areas won't even permit it.
An alternative is to use battery power and an inverter to provide power overnight, then recharge batteries from the generator during the day. You would need about 4  batteries to provide a constant 290 watts overnight, though.

Hi Gary
Thanks for the info
IF I have plug the generator into the Camper and I have the fridge running on propane will the fridge remain running on propane or will it switch to AC and start using wattage provided by the generator?
I take it these smaller generators are easy to pull start?

The wife is talking about maybe doing some fishing and camping during the summer months when we have 100 plus temps so IF I test the A/C and it DOES work  I will buy a 2nd generator for that purpose. we would  need to start and run A/C and my Oxygen concentrator,and TV ,no coffee maker or microwave . What wattage Generator would we need to do this ??
I tried to see what type of btu  and wattasge the ac uses including taking the shroud off but found nothing.The only thing I know is it is a Coleman TSR.
I checked the fuse box and it has what appears to be a 30 amp fuse main breaker with a 20 amp fuse for the a/c.

As Long as it is not too loud to sleep not too concerned about noise as the camper will be used on my Families farm with the closest house over a mile away.

I am also considering a gen with electric start and wheels due to my wife and I  general weakness .
I realize the more wattage the heavier and would get a piece of plywood and mount a hand crank in the pickup bed to get in in the truck and take it out of the truck.

Thanks
Craig

An RV fridge typically has two run modes:

AUTO - selects 120vac whenever it is available, and changes to LP gas if not.
GAS - LP gas only

In Auto mode it would switch to 120v power as soon as the RV is plugged into a power source.

Without the a/c, your power needs (in watts) will be in the 600 range. Probably less, if you don't use the oxygen concentrator while watching tv.

With the a/c plus everything else, you are talking a 3000W genset. They are easy enough to start, but heavy to move around (about 70 lbs).
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-EU3000iS-Starting-Portable-Inverter/dp/B0002XC0V2

I think you are going to find the genset to be noisy at night. The "inverter" type gensets are the quietest, at least when loads (watts) are small, but they are also the most expensive.

Hi Gary
I will be keeping the fridge on LP gas then.

I only use the Oxygen concentrator when I sleep.

I think I will buy the Little 1000 watt generator for when I am using the camper by myself when deer hunting in the winter months
as It will use very little gas and give me all I need. And use either a 25 or 50 foot extension cord.

For use during the summer months when my wife is with me and it is 100 degrees I am looking at these two generators
https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56475-Starting-Generator-Compliant/dp/B00IUKKMDC/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-46539-Generator/dp/B004HSP7EK/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Both are electric start,the Champion has a remote start as well.

I can get either through Wal-Mart for $400.00
I know they are not a Honda but I cant afford that kind of money.
What do you think?

I have a Honda 2000i and it is nice and RELATIVELY quite.  But if you are boondocking even it can drowned out nature.  When we use ours it is typically 80-100 feet away from our van and inside a noise reducing box.  With each hour of running it just get noisier and noisier (in our minds).  Maybe you can find a used unit for a reduced price.  Buy the best you can so you can enjoy your boondocking.

Len and Jo said:
I have a Honda 2000i and it is nice and RELATIVELY quite.  But if you are boondocking even it can drowned out nature.  When we use ours it is typically 80-100 feet away from our van and inside a noise reducing box.  With each hour of running it just get noisier and noisier (in our minds).  Maybe you can find a used unit for a reduced price.  Buy the best you can so you can enjoy your boondocking.

Even if I could find a used Honda 2000i for say 4-500 dollars it is not going to  Start and run the ac and my oxygen Concentrator .
I understand about the noise but unfortunately I have to put up with noise every night using the oxygen Concentrator .
When we are in the camper we are going to have noise from the a/c anyway and a TV or radio.
When we are out of the camper fishing the Gen will be turned off.
When on the farm there always seems to be noise anyway whether it be tractors,combines,relift pumps,agplanes spraying fields,railroad tracks a mile away etc.
Occasionally there is dead silence but it is a rare thing.

I wish I did not have to use a generator and if I did not need the Oxygen concentrator I would not use a generator during the winter months.
I have thought about our needs a lot and for running the Oxygen Concentrator AND A/C I have come down to one of these 2 Generators.
I am asking WHICH of these 2 would be preferred and why.

I AM buying the Best I can as I have about $500.00 to spend on my generator needs.

Thanks
Craig

I don't know if an O concentrator is the same or similar to a CPAP but I run this for my CPAP only:

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-portable-power-1150/p-02871688000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

and this refurbished inverter/generator when the situation, location allows a generator.  This one will do the whole TT (13,5000btu AC) and I've never found anyone who could come close to this price. Yes, mine has someone else's initials carved into it.  Those three letters and a couple nicks saved me about $500 and puts this close to your wheelhouse.

http://www.supergenproducts.com/catalog/p-100086/refurbished-2800w-inverter-100156

You could get two Honda EU2000i inverter generators and run one for just your oxygen concentrator and other loads, then add the second one later when you want to run the air conditioner.  A simple cord connects both generators in parallel, combining their power to run larger loads.

If you can't find a pair of used Hondas at a good price, the 2000 watt Champion inverter generators are less expensive (but noisier) and can also be run in parallel.

Lou Schneider said:
You could get two Honda EU2000i inverter generators and run one for just your oxygen concentrator and other loads, then add the second one later when you want to run the air conditioner.  A simple cord connects both generators in parallel, combining their power to run larger loads.

If you can't find a pair of used Hondas at a good price, the 2000 watt Champion inverter generators are less expensive (but noisier) and can also be run in parallel.

Can I get 2  Good used Honda EU2000i inverter Generators for $500.00?

Thanks
Craig

From what I am reading it sounds like your "camp" is going to be semi-permanent.  On a family farm you might be able to construct a small thick wall sound insulated generator shelter/building a few hundred feet from your RV to take care of generator noise.  Would need 10(?) gauge cords to attach the generator(s) to the RV.  That would be an option and allow you to use very cheap generator(s).  You would of course need to trudge to the out building every night to fill the tank(s) and start the generator.

Can I get 2  Good used Honda EU2000i inverter Generators for $500.00?

Lucky to find even one for that amount.

With a $400-$500 budget and a 3000W requirement, you are looking at "contractor grade" open frame gensets with mechanical (not inverter) power generation.  I personally would not be at all happy with that, but you may feel differently.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Lucky to find even one for that amount.

With a $400-$500 budget and a 3000W requirement, you are looking at "contractor grade" open frame gensets with mechanical (not inverter) power generation.  I personally would not be at all happy with that, but you may feel differently.

I did not think I could but thought I would ask.
I have read reviews every where and Keep coming back to the Champion 46539
I think from what I have seen and heard while researching the unit that with the Unit Placed 25-50 ft away and while I am inside the camper that the noise will be Negligible especially since the Oxygen concentrator makes  noise anyway,and with the remote I will be able to turn the unit off and on from inside the camper.
On the occasions that the wife and I are camping on the farm during the summer with the A/C running I doubt we will hear the Gen running at all over the sound of the A/C and tv or radio during the day or the A/C and Concentrator at night.
And the electric start and remote will be easy for both of us to use.
I am going to try it for this year and see how it works out and if it works then great and if not then next year I will sell it and get a good Inverter or two.
Thanks to you and everyone for their advice and help.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom