Towing Doubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADubois

I've read where it's not legal here in California for a pickup to tow doubles. My question is, are the laws different for a fifth wheel than for a goose neck for towing doubles. Last night I was driving down highway 99 in central Calif. and there was a pickup towing a large horse trailer with an average size cargo trailer behind it.
I've got no interest in doing this myself I'm just curious.
Alan

Alan, I have been told that in California you can tow a trailer behind a 5th or Goose, but you must have a Class A license. You might want to check with the CA DMV for specifics.

Not sure if I would want to do it, but I have seen quite a few folks doing it over the past few years.

Good Luck

Let's try to settle this thing once and for all, or at least for a while.

The CA DMV web site says:  No passenger vehicle, pickup truck, or RV may tow more than one other vehicle without a Commercial Class A license, with endorsement.

Commercial Class A license ?  Well you can get one if you are a CA resident if you pass a medical exam, a law test, and a driving test with the vehicle you would tow.  I recommend a truckers' school to learn.  Then you have to get an additional, double tow endorsement for the license.  All that requires is a driving exam under double tow. 

But I suspect, you ain't gonna do that.  So you cannot double tow in CA. 

Carl,

Alan mentioned that it was a horse trailer w/cargo trailer.

Does CA. have any exceptions for agriculture equipment in the DMV code? I know here in AZ there are some.

Just curious.

The DMV says:

The most common class of license in California is a basic Class C driver license. With a Class C license, you may drive the following motor vehicles or recreational vehicles (RVs) without any additional endorsements:

A vehicle with two axles that has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds or less
A three-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds or less
Any housecar (motorhome) or RV 40 feet long or less
The above includes all passenger cars, pickup trucks, and SUVs, as well as most trailers and RVs.

If you are a farmer or the employee of a farmer, you may also drive:

Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight of 26,000 pounds or less if used exclusively for agriculture and not for hire

Carl L said:
The DMV says:

If you are a farmer or the employee of a farmer, you may also drive:

Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight of 26,000 pounds or less if used exclusively for agriculture and not for hire
[/i]

I don't know how heavy that set up was that I saw but depending on how many horses he had and whatever was in the cargo trailer he could have been over 26k lbs.

As far as settling this once and for all I wasn't trying to cause any problems I was just curious. I only asked because I know this topic has been talked about and the answers I've read to the topic have been very knowledgeable on this site. I have no desire to do all that testing as I said in my original post. I was just wondering if there were different rules for goose neck trailers than regular fifth wheels.

Thank you for the answers to my question.
Alan

I did some research on this topic a little while back and found that the only thing permitted to be towed behind a fifth-wheel trailer is a boat.  I know it makes no sense but, that was it.  I have seen several fiver's towing boats that are heavier than my little Honda CRV.  In addition, there is a 65 foot limit on  the rig.  If you see anyone towing longer setups or a fiver pulling a car they could be pulled over.  Now whether a police officer wants to bother with this type of violation is another story.

Tony

I did some research on this topic a little while back and found that the only thing permitted to be towed behind a fifth-wheel trailer is a boat. 

Yup, fairly common in the middle west.  However, it is entirely dependent on the states and varies widely from state to state.  Do your research for each state you would tow in.

I towed a 29 foot fifth wheel with a Chevy 2500 HD crew cab pick up and pulled a 12 foot toy car trailer about 14,000 miles in '06.  Towed from my home in TN to Yuma, AZ and north to Seattle and then back to TN.  I am less than 65 feet long, have brakes on middle unit and the tag along weighs less than 2000 lbs. and all legal in TN.  I was passed by numerous law enforcement officers, and was never stopped.  I stopped counting at 50, the other rigs towing doubles.  I can pull through almost any gas station etc.  JUST DON'T BACK UP.  It works well for me, but I know it is not for everyone.  Alan

You did leave yourself open for a very expensive ticket and  storage costs if you were towing illegally in any of the states you traveled in, not to mention the risk of severe liability issues if you had been in an accident even if not at fault.  Double towing is not covered under the recipical aggreements between states only divers license.

That type of towing puts a big sign on the unit  FINE ME CUZ I GOT MONEY TO BURN.

OK, I am a retired commercial truck driver and own a 34 ft 5er and asked a California HP this question, Here is what he said YOU MUST have a valid Class A with combination endorsement (you won't need the air brake endorsement unless you have air brakes) a vehicle 3/4 ton of larger and yes you may pull more that a boat behind it But it would be wise to always make your last unit be the less of weight. Oh, Yes you must stay within the lenght limit.

okiejoe said:
OK, I am a retired commercial truck driver and own a 34 ft 5er and asked a California HP this question, Here is what he said YOU MUST have a valid Class A with combination endorsement (you won't need the air brake endorsement unless you have air brakes) a vehicle 3/4 ton of larger and yes you may pull more that a boat behind it But it would be wise to always make your last unit be the less of weight. Oh, Yes you must stay within the lenght limit.

Yes indeed.   I would also that California has 2 types of Class A licenses.   The non-commercial   type is designed for big motorhomes and big trailer hauling by RVers.  They cannot tow multiple trailers.   The commercial kind is probably the one you had and can so tow with the endorsement.

Yes, you are right. California does have a special license for heavey rv's and motor coaches. Since I drove heavy truck (Doubles) for UPS for 33 years (in Sacramento) I had to have a class A plus an endorsement for combination trailers and air brake endorsement too. My licenses is the typical CDL which is a federal license now (they are no longer controlled by the state) and since my retirement to Oklahoma (hence the okiejoe handle) I have kept it valid just In case I want to supplement my pension some. Well I stop rambling but anyway I am relativity new to rv forum and really like it. you all are so willing to give advice and information. maybe I'll meet some of the forum in the future.

;D

Carl
Just one thing, the Commercial license (CDL) is a federal license and anyone resident or not of California would have to have it. The only endorsement you would need would be the combination endorsement.

okiejoe said:
Carl
Just one thing, the Commercial license (CDL) is a federal license and anyone resident or not of California would have to have it. The only endorsement you would need would be the combination endorsement.

CDL is a common acronym  for California Drivers License in the state. 

The state of California issues  4 levels of drivers licenses:  C, B, A, and M.  C is the basic drivers license for cars and house trailers.  B and A licenses are for for heavier or longer vehicles.  The A license is typically the commercial truckers license tho there are non-commercial versions available for folks driving monster 5 wheels rated over 15,000 lbs and TTs over 10,000 lbs.  The there is a non-commercial Class B for folks in motorhomes between 40 and 45 feet.  There is even a commercial Class C for folks driving light vehicles but with hazmat placard.  M is for motorcycles.

The full scoop is HERE.

okiejoe said:
My licenses is the typical CDL which is a federal license now (they are no longer controlled by the state)......

When did they change it to a federal license? Where do you get one? I gave mine up in '99 because Alaska wanted $100 to renew one. Back then it was still a state license.

Back
Top Bottom