WINTER TIME LIVING IN A CLASS B - ANY PENQUINS ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone up The Challenge of living in their Class B / Van
In the Notorious Colder 4th Season of the Northern climes ...?

I've read and gotten the advice, Go South Young Man (yea .. young man, I wish),
Fly like a snow bird, when the tundra like weather descends over the north.
Drain your water tanks before you carpet America's highways with an explosion
of last night's dinner ...

All great advice ....

I'm giving this living on the road my best shot (helped along by losing my
NYC rent stabilized apartment to the new breed of wealthy slumlords ransacking
and uprooting long term tenant's lives. But enough of my tale of woe ...

My dilemma, I can fly south (naw .. drive south) but I have two elderly parents,
not in the best of health (87 and 83 years old - not living together) residing in the harsh
climes of NJ winters. So I will be traveling here and there, but not too extended
while God grants them their remaining days.

So from the great advice I have received in the forums: Be diligent! Drain the tanks
and waterlines, flush with antifreeze and use public toilets when the weather runs afoul.

And I understand that sound advice. But I LOVE WINTER! I love the snow.
I used to go winter camping (well, I'm a New Yorker and it was Bear Mountain .. like
being on the Mickey Mouse ski trail for beginning skiers).

I also know what its like to be frozen in your car (my first car was a 73 superbeetle
for those who remember their fingers numbed, frozen to the steering wheel while VW's
heat comes on like an afterthought.

I've heard what I shouldn't do ... or do at my own peril .. but I know there's got to
be some of you that don't lock the van up .... or drive down for warmth amongst
the armadillos .... I'd like to hear your stories, thoughts, ideas. In NYC we're
experiencing a heat wave over the last week ... 98 degrees .. as humid as being
in an Ecuadorian rain forest ... so I know you're thawed out enough to tell your
story.

A fellow Penquin

John Petrocelli

John,  I am sure if you search this board, you will find that this topic has been beaten to death time and again. 

It is not that you can't although where you are it might be very difficult to find a suitable location to park your home and get it properly ready to survive in.  It will be 'SURVIVAL'.

Comfort will be a thing of the past until the sun rolls around to Spring.

I have lived for 3 months in Central Virginia for 3 months Nov, Dec, and Jan.  The temp only went down to 19 degrees.  Lost power 3 times, had to buy a generator as we used electric space heaters to stave off the cold, note I did not say chill, even though they labored mightily, they just could not banish Old Man Winter some days.  I was living in a 32' TT with no skirting, and no way to dump the frozen black water tank.  Luckily the CG was well equipped with a brand new Bath House only steps away that served well to handle questions of hygiene. 

It really is like living in a poorly insulated aluminum beer can.  Cold comes right through, it does not "Pass Go" and for sure does "not collect "$200". 

I applaud your sentiments about your parents, if I was in your situation, I would load them up in your Van and head South to AZ, and for a lot less than you might think right now there are a lot of bargain TT and used 5th wheels sitting on lots, owned by Canadians who are wanting to sell as the Dollar exchange rate was not good last winter and many did not make the trip.  Many may not make the trip this year as well. 

Friends of ours bought a 65' park model, with lot, with Golf Cart, and a small Car for under $12K.  They have room to park their P/U and 5th wheel on the lot too.

Just a thought...

Keep us apprised with your story...

Tom...

The real question is where are you going to park? Most northern rv parks are closed in winter and you can't park on the street. You will need hookups so you have water, sewer and electricity. And tv and Internet.

Have you ever lived in a trailer ("mobile home") in winter? It is literally a tin can. The only time you re warm is when the heat is blowing. When the furnace stops, its cold again. The furnace runs all night, very noisy, and in an RV theres no sleeping away from it.
I understand you need to stay by your parents, but I would move in with one. You re at work most the day anyway. Weekends you d have to find sumthing to do if you lived in the RV anyway, as a campervan is super tiny.
Plus if you somehow insulate tight, then you ve got condensation to deal inside and its huge, not just a little. Rot your camper.
I do understand your dilemma and feel for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom