Direct TV- everything but a picture. What am I missing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
So yesterday my Direct TV stopped getting a picture. I get guide info, and show signal on both tuners. I have reset the box several times, and have had the signal "refreshed" on line.  Calling Direct last night was no help. The rep was an idiot. 

All satellite transponders show signal.  The message on the screen is "No signal on satellite 2, code 771". Usually that means that the signal needs to be resent from Direct. So far that has not helped.  I have a Wiengard Dome and a HR22 receiver.  Did the box go bad? Am I over looking something?

Generally that means loss of signal.  More thsn likely your dish got bumped and lost satelite.  Or weather fade out.  Check your signal strength..  unless it is 80 or above you will get fade outs.

Try this to reauthorize your receiver:

Go to:  directv.com/refresh

Just thought of something:

You have probably stowed and shut down everything at least once. Try unplugging the power supply to your dish for a couple of minutes and then plugging back in. Second level support had me do this once to fix it.

Demand 2nd level support from the Rep. Or, demand their supervisor and they will pass you up one level of support. You may have to leave your phone number but they will get back to you.

You can usually dial past the computer support by hitting "0" about five times repeatedly. May take four or five of these.

This page has some troubleshooting help:
https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1609/~/directv-error-code-771

Odd that is says "Satellite 2", though.  Do you have a dome or an open-face dish?  In either case, it is receiving only one satellite signal, so what's with  the "2"? It may refer to the multiple coax cables (or the "stacked' signals on SWM) that feed separate receivers/tvs/DVrs  from one dish LNB. If so, I'd be looking at cable connection issues or maybe a faulty SWM module if that's what you have.

Well, it's back.  Not sure why, tried all steps again this morning, nothing.  Went to take a shower, came back to a picture.  For now the signal is back, until the next time.........

I think that it may have been a cable that was working loose.  The signal was high 70's.  It may be time to replace all the cables at the back of the Direct box.  The box is so big though it barely fits on the shelf, so I need right angle connectors to even hook them up. 

SargeW said:
  The box is so big though it barely fits on the shelf, so I need right angle connectors to even hook them up.

For me, one of the biggest advantages of the HR44 Genie compared to the HR22 it replaced is that it is ~50% smaller and runs much, much cooler.  I, too, used to have trouble getting the receiver and its cables into the appropriate cabinet.

SargeW said:
I think that it may have been a cable that was working loose.  The signal was high 70's.  It may be time to replace all the cables at the back of the Direct box.  The box is so big though it barely fits on the shelf, so I need right angle connectors to even hook them up.

High 70s may not be sufficient if the weather is the least bit iffy.  You really need high 80s to have a consistant signal

SeilerBird said:
Are you getting no picture but sound or no sound and no picture?

I had neither, just guide. 

donn said:
High 70s may not be sufficient if the weather is the least bit iffy.  You really need high 80s to have a consistant signal

High 80's for me is rare. I have a "Roadtrip Mission" which is a dome with a pretty small reflector.  I used to have a crank up dish with a bigger reflector and could get those numbers.

SargeW said:
I had neither, just guide. 

High 80's for me is rare. I have a "Roadtrip Mission" which is a dome with a pretty small reflector.  I used to have a crank up dish with a bigger reflector and could get those numbers.
If you are getting neither picture or sound then you are not getting an RF signal. You need to start with the cables that the system are using. One of them is probably defective. Just get a new RF cable and start by substituting it with your existing cables.

Back
Top Bottom