Converter Wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garypar

I am replacing my old converter in my 1988 colman pop-up with a parallax 7320. On the DC side, the old converter has 3 negative wires coming out. One for the battery and 2 more. The 2 others are wired together with a wire nut.

On the 7320, there is one negative wire coming out on the DC side. It has 6 others wired to the end of it in a cluster. One of those is marked for the battery. My question is what do I do with the other 5?

Frankly, I would have chosen something better than a Parallax 7320 for a replacement, but it appears you already have it.

I can't even find any info on a Parallax 7320 power converter online, but Parallax Power just got bought out by a former employee and things are in transition. Is this an entire power center, with 120vac breakers and 12v fuses?  Or just a module with some wires? And what does the installation manual say about all this?

Ok, the 7300 is not just a converter, it is a "power center" (distribution panel)

You have a fuse block, It has POSITIVE connections... The wires you are asking about are the "paired" negative connections.. You can use them or not as you feel the need

On many modern RV's the 12 volt wires are often  2-wire cord. White/Black, or Romex 2 wire (no ground). So my fuse block has a negative Bus, same as my 120 volt panel has a neutral bus...
All the 12 volt stuff runs back to the fuse block for "Grounding" (negative)..  And that's what those wires are, the Ground bus.

John From Detroit said:
Ok, the 7300 is not just a converter, it is a "power center" (distribution panel)

You have a fuse block, It has POSITIVE connections... The wires you are asking about are the "paired" negative connections.. You can use them or not as you feel the need

On many modern RV's the 12 volt wires are often  2-wire cord. White/Black, or Romex 2 wire (no ground). So my fuse block has a negative Bus, same as my 120 volt panel has a neutral bus...
All the 12 volt stuff runs back to the fuse block for "Grounding" (negative)..  And that's what those wires are, the Ground bus.

As stated by John, it is a power center. I could not find any manual on it either.

So, John, you are saying that these negatives are not required. So do I need to put wire nuts on the end of each one to isolate them, leave them as they are, or tape them all together with electrical tape or what?

If the 7320 is the same design as a 7345 (a higher amp model), you can probably use the manual for that. If you can find one. Parallax Power seems to have removed all the 73xx documents from their site.

The PD 4600 series was designed to replace both 63xx and 73xx Magnetek/Parallax models, so maybe the installation instructions for that will have clues. See http://www.progressivedyn.com/pdfs/4600_operation_guide.pdf

Thanks Gary. All I really need to know is what to do with the negatives on the DC side. John from Detroit says I don't have to do anything with them. However, if I'm doing nothing with them don't I need to put a wire nut on each one to isolate them or possibly tape them all together with electrical tape or something?

Back
Top Bottom