TV / Blu-Ray / DVD when boondocking (12V)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking at replacing the old 110v tube type TV that came with my older (2001) Fleetwood.  I find that most of my use is boon-docking which of course means no shore power or cable.  I really don't want to run my generator just to watch TV.

What I would like to do is replace the old TV with a medium sized flat screen, perferably 12v so I don't need to run the generator or use an inverter.  Then I would like to add a Blu-Ray player also preferably 12v.  After all, why convert my battery power to 120v AC with all the inefficiencies involved when the TV and Blu-Ray player will most likely simply convert it back to 12v internally anyway.

Does anyone have an recommendations or advice on which brands to stay away from?

Going forward I am also looking at installing a Dish.  Are any of the available RV dish packages 12v friendly or do all of them require 110?

You are massively overstating the problems of converting 12 to 110 to 12. No need for the extra expense of those items. I realize a 12 volt tv should be cheaper since it doesn't include the 110 to 12 volt reduction, but the problem is they don't sell a lot of them so they are not cheaper. Have you considered a tv dvd combo player?

https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-1080P-Combo-E249BD-FMQC-Ready/dp/B019XE45I6/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1471456463&sr=1-1&keywords=tv+dvd+combo

Yes I've seen those and almost pushed the button to order one.  The problem with the combo's is that they are DVD only, no blu-ray.  Much of my video collection is blu-ray and lately it's getting harder to find DVD versions of some content.  Much like VCR's are now a thing of the past, I'm afraid DVD will also be so be shortly.

Blue ray players:

http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/car-video/car-video-players/car-dvd-player/car-bluray-players.html

TV's:

http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/car-video/lcd-monitor/rv-marine-bus-lcd-monitors/rv-lcd-tv-video-monitors.html

That's just the first place that came up with a search.

Right Wing Wacko said:
Yes I've seen those and almost pushed the button to order one.  The problem with the combo's is that they are DVD only, no blu-ray.  Much of my video collection is blu-ray and lately it's getting harder to find DVD versions of some content.  Much like VCR's are now a thing of the past, I'm afraid DVD will also be so be shortly.

The difference is that Blu-ray players are all backwards compatible, and will play DVD's (and even upconvert them to higher visual quality in many cases).  But I realize that is different than your issue of needing equipment to play your existing Blu-ray discs.  You'd need a TV/Blu-ray combo.  I'm not sure how common those are (yet).

Right Wing Wacko said:
I completely missed the Blu ray reference in the first post. You are right, they haven't made any BR/TV combos yet. I am in the process of selling off my Blu ray player and discs and replacing them with 4k versions. The upgrading never ends.

I was told earlier today that some of the Sony BD players are actually 12v but do not come advertised as such.  I guess they don't think of it as a selling point.  The power plug is 12vdc and they come with a 120v/12v wall wart.    I'll stop by the electronics store this afternoon and verify this and if it's true I'll have solved 1/2 the problem.  I'll have to make my own power cord but that should be a simple matter.

Right Wing Wacko said:
You don't know how many times I've paid for a copy of Dark Side of the Moon

LP, 8-Track, Cassette, CD...
I am sure I have you beat.  I recently bought the SACD surround version. Over $30. Best sounding one yet.

So I stopped by Worst Buy last night and picked up a Sony BDS3700 blu-ray player.  I can confirm it runs on 12v, comes with a standard wall-wart.  I'll have to make a cable to fit it, but that's not a major issue.

I also asked if he had any 12v Televisions expecting the answer to be no.. except it was yes!
Looked at the demo unit, was a bit smaller than I was hoping for.  Verified that it had a 12v input and wall wart, so I grabbed one.  Got it home, opened the box and what do you know... permanently fixed AC cable.  The unit in the box was exactly like the floor model except for the power.  :(    It's going back today... or perhaps on Monday since I've planned a short camping excursion this weekend.

We run a small inverter 350 watt to power our 42 inch Sony led TV and PS4 for entertainment. That's another option for you. We didn't want to compromise on components and though the TV is actually DC powered the voltage wasn't 12v and the PS4 has a built in AC to DC converter. Just another option for you.

rls7201 said:
All things 12 volt. Then google the part number for a better price.

http://www.12volt-travel.com/

Richard

I personally have purchased from this company many times. I like that they always have information that many others don't have and they seem to know what they're selling which many others do not. Just for kicks I've called some random 12 volt sites and asked them questions about specific products listed for sale on their websites and it sounds like they were guessing for answers. Anytime I call or email 12 volt travel they provide a response from what seems to me to be experience and that's worth something. Anytime I've needed support they've been there and weren't upset to be dealing with me later on even a year or two down the road.

I switched both our TVs to Samsung 12 volt TVs, bought SONY Blu-Ray players that run off 12 volts for each, got a nice JVC stereo that runs off 12 volts, and got 12 volt power cords for our computers.  No inverters needed any more.  Much more efficient. 
Only things left that run on 110 volts are the microwave, AC, and a 6 gallon 150 PSI compressor I bolted into the rear storage compartment.  Just fire up the generator for those if I need even them at all.

Same here but went with a Jensen up front and a Skyworth in the bedroom. Both run directly on 12 volt and draw 36 watts or less. Happy with both.

Back
Top Bottom