Looking for a new tow vehicle, need some opinions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

askibum02

I'm looking at two trucks and I'm having a hard time deciding. One is a modestly equipped '16 Ram 2500 CTD Tradesman and the other is a loaded '16 F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost. I assume they will both tow a decent sized travel trailer, but I'm not sure what decent sized is. which one will do better? I will be looking for something between 25' and 30', and will be towing both short and long distances. My vehicle is also my mobile office and I drive about 30k miles a year. I've driven both on short test drives and they seem to ride okay, I didn't note a whole lot of difference. Which one will do better from a longevity standpoint, and which one will have better resale in 3-4 years with high miles?  I've heard that diesels have a higher upkeep, what can I expect to pay on both vehicles on general maintenance?

Brett

Go for the RAM, you will be safer.  Look at the door jam yellow sticker for payload numbers. The higher the better for now and the future.

RVRAC said:
Go for the RAM, you will be safer.  Look at the door jam yellow sticker for payload numbers. The higher the better for now and the future.
X2

The 2500 will have a beefier frame and suspension than the lighter F150.  You are not really comparing equivalent trucks.  A well equipped F150 will have a muck lower payload than a moderately equipped 2500.  In addition, towing a 25' - 30' TT is clearly too much for any ? ton truck.  The tail will wag the dog.

If it is between these two, it is a simple choice - get the RAM 2500.  I love my Ford truck, but the F150 is simply not up to your needs.

Hello,

grashley said:
RVRAC said:
X2.

X3.

I must say I've no direct experience with either, but I've done a lot of research in the last few years and I believe the OP will be much better served by the RAM, not only due to capacity but also to the engine: the Cummins Turbo Diesel is legendary and outclasses the Ford Ecoboost in all possible ways, specially as a tow vehicle.

I would advise the OP to also look at the RAM 3500: they cost a few hundred dollars more than their 2500 counterparts, but bring in sturdier parts and much improved payload and GCWR.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

We have a 34 ft, weighs 10k and have pulled it with both 2005 F250 last year up to UP of Michigan from Fl  and my 2015  GMC 2500 HD, both diesel  Just returned from Alaska on 13,000 mile trip. Both did a great job on the separate trips pulling the rig.  GMC Solid as a rock in strong  cross winds out west but guess that's the nature of a 5th wheeler.  Averaged  12 mpg with both rigs on each trip but the GMC had  a LOT of serious mountain time through BC on the Alaska Highway.  GMC gave me such as deal I could not pass it up, and Allison tranny has such a good rep....but still sort of miss my F250.  Drove a 3500 but too stiff of a ride when not trailering.  2500 more than adequate

The problem with the Dodge 2500 is that it doesn't have rear leaf springs like the 3500 has. MY BIL has a new dodge 2500,6.7 and its payload is only 2200lbs and squats very badly with a load.
My brother just bought Ford 3.5, max payload version with payload of 3,270 lbs,it does a much better job hauling a load.
IMO you would better off with with the 3500 Dodge, or 3/4 ton Ford or Chevy, which has leaf springs.
I would even take the F-150 over the 2500 Dodge, if the F-150 was equipped properly,ie. 7850GVWR.

The new F-150s have quite a bit of payload, more than other half tons and in some configurations have more payload than some 3/4 tons. And the ecoboost is a monster motor. So I wouldn't dismiss the F-150 out of hand; I'm confident there are many 25-30' trailers that are easily within the capabilities of the Ford.

As always proper setup and tires are paramount.

I stand by my earlier comment.  A "LOADED", meaning many pounds of options, F150 will not have the Payload for a large TT, AND it is still a ? ton truck.  Yes, some F150 trucks have over 3,000# payload.  They are regular cab trucks ONLY. XL or XLT trim only.  They can pull a big load of bricks, but will still get blown around pulling a 30 ft TT.

I forgot about that Ram spring / Payload issue.  You really need at least a ? ton truck.  If you love Rams, go for a 3500.  The F250 or GMC 2500 would also do fine.

I have a 2016 Ram 2500,  it pulls my 34 foot TT quite nicely using an Equalizer WD hitch.  Trailer weight is around  8500 and with the gas 6.4 motor it's rated to tow 12,500 with the 3.73 rear end.  The coil springs ride a lot nicer then the comparable Ford or Chevy with leaf springs when unloaded.  If all you do is tow with the truck,  any 3/4 ton will do the job. I drove them all, back to back,  and the Ram won me over..

grashley said:
I stand by my earlier comment.  A "LOADED", meaning many pounds of options, F150 will not have the Payload for a large TT, AND it is still a ? ton truck.  Yes, some F150 trucks have over 3,000# payload.  They are regular cab trucks ONLY. XL or XLT trim only.  They can pull a big load of bricks, but will still get blown around pulling a 30 ft TT.

First you say the new F-150 doesn't have the payload, then you say it does. You then asset they'll get blown around, on what do you base this assertion? Have you experience with the new F-150? 

In not a fan of the over kill bells and whistles
As long as I got my power windows locks mirrors ac and commfey seat I'm happy...... I also go with the 5.7v8. Turbo charger are nice tial they go wrong.

irishtom29 said:
First you say the new F-150 doesn't have the payload, then you say it does. You then asset they'll get blown around, on what do you base this assertion? Have you experience with the new F-150?

There are many threads on the towing issues with the new F150. The gist seems to be the suspension has problems under load...and why people are adding Timbrans and/or sway bars, replacing shocks, upgrading to LT tires, upgrading their WDH, etc.

I own one and while the on-paper (sticker) payload rating looks good it has problems controlling the sway/bounce of a larger TT. It could tow a 20 foot 6000lb fine until the wind picked up and struggles with a 24 foot 7000lb at highway speeds.

massspike said:
I own one and while the on-paper (sticker) payload rating looks good it has problems controlling the sway/bounce of a larger TT. It could tow a 20 foot 6000lb fine until the wind picked up and struggles with a 24 foot 7000lb at highway speeds.

I must then bow to your hands on experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom