Insuring an "Unprofessional" Bus Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molly0g

Hello seasoned RVers! We own a Thomas built 1995 decommercialized school bus. We converted privately and are now running into an insurance issue: because the bus is technically classifying as an RV home but does not have a bathroom, we cannot insure under California RV law. Because we converted with a non approved company, we cannot insure under Bus Conversion (also because it is a school bus). We believe insuring it through another state is a potential option, or re-commercializing it. The first option being inconvenient and the latter option being extremely expensive and requiring us to get new license classes. Any advice or reccommended insurance companies, loop holes or otherwise creative ideas are greatly appreciated!!!!!

The "RV" vs "Bus Conversion" sounds like a tag & title issue, not insurance. If you can get it tiled as a private vehicle in some category, somebody will insure it as such. Though maybe not at a price you like very much.

How about sticking a porta-potty in it for the purposes of getting it classified? Smaller Rvs use them so it has to be legit.

Present your question on the" bus conversion magazine BB", these guys do it all the time .. When I owned a bus conversion for 14 years never had a problem.>>>Dan

I just purchased a 1974 GMC Coach bus. The interior was all gutted. I called my insurance people and they told me they wouldn't insure it. All I wanted to do was to get it about 75 miles from the place I purchased it to home. I friend of mine had a Motor home and he said to try Good Sam. He said they are very reasonable and specalize in RV's. I called them and they told me the only way they could insure it is if it was all done. They will not insure a shell. They also told me that when I have it done that they would only give me liability insurance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom