10 year old RV's (including trailers) and Campgrounds in particular KOA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I inquired at my local KOA campground I was informed motorhomes, trailers over 10 years old are not welcome and could I please submit a photograph.

Is there an exception for "Vintage Rv's (over 20 years old?).  I only bring this up because most of us cannot afford the newer ones as they have escalated in price as the popularity of RVing increases.

I just think it is wrong to censor a 10 year old RV unless it is truly an eyesore.  Has anyone else run into this.  I mean how does this work when there is a rally and people have 2007 and older rigs? that are not vintage?

Is this discrimination based on income?  (lol)

Inquiring mind needs to know.

Thanks,
Stacey

First off Stacey I would never stay in a KOA. Too expensive and too many kids. Many RV parks have a ten or a 15 year rule but the vast majority do not. It is not really the age of the RV they are worried about, it is a rule to keep dead beats out of the park. Ones who pay for a few days and never leave. Getting them thrown out is very difficult. All the rules favor the tenant.

This issue comes up quite a bit. In talking to a few park owners and operators, the reason they have that rule is to keep less desirable looking RVs out of their parks. How an RV looks, however, can be pretty subjective, so to get around that, a lot of parks have a 10 year age limit on RVs. In my experience, that "rule" often gets overlooked if the RV is presentable and in decent shape. Let's face it, we've all seen some pretty darn nice looking older RVs that would compliment any RV park, and we've all seen some rolling junk piles that would probably have to be towed out of the park.

Kev

This "rule" is rarely a snobbish thing intended to discriminate.  As SeilerBird and Kevin stated it is to protect RV park owners from deadbeats who do not pay their rent on time and who are extremely difficult to evict.  In addition, in some areas of the country people set up meth labs in older RVs and then abandon them.  We were warned of this during training when we camp hosted in a BLM site and were advised not to approach (for our own safety) but to call authorities to check out the RV.

At a koa.  Never herd of that rule at a koa before.  Are you should it's a chain koa.  Their aren't know as a high end park with rules like that.....
Personally I would never stay at any park with rules like that

KOA is obviously a chain campground, but they are franchised to individual owners.  I'm sure those owners have the right to establish some additional, reasonable policies based on their regions and typical customers.

Stacey it sounds like you understand how this rule (usually) works, but if click on the Search button near the top of the page and type in "10 year rule" or "ten year rule" ... you'll find a lot of past discussions on this topic.

Just last week I stayed at a pretty fancy, and expensive RV park in Cave Springs, AR. When I made the reservation they asked for the age, make and model of my RV. Their policy is to not allow any RV over 10 years of age without "management approval". They never stated why they had this policy, but it could be either the deadbeat reason or just to maintain the upscale look of the park. FWIW, I was in a new, but small travel trailer. I was surrounded by huge Class A motorhomes and a few really huge and fancy 5th wheel trailers. Right next to me I young man pulled in with a Renegade Icon motorhome that had more wheels than I had ever seen on an RV. I looked it up and it was a $750,000 RV. So I understand that a campground, wanting to attract this type clientele would not be willing to allow shabby RV's in the park. The nightly fee, before discounts, was $50.

I pretty much avoid "RE$ORT" campgrounds, have never owned a camper 10 years old (unfortunately) but on occasion when asked how long my rig is, I may get confused and add 5 -10 feet. :)

As soon as you tell them your class A is 26 foot, they start looking for their shortest spot, but still want the same price as a 45 foot Newell.

Just got a email back from koa corporation.  They do allow their campgroung to set their own rules like this...... I stoped going to koas years again because most are dumps.    Just anouther reason not to go know....... I don't care what they clam.  The truth is they don't want budget minded people camping anymore. We don't spend enough money at the campground ........what's the point of going to a national chain campgroung if the rules aren't consensus from one camp ground to another,........ I also agree with the prier poster. I all way add a few feet to my camper  so I don't get stuck in a small spot.   

We've found a number of parks that have a 10-year rule, but they often only apply it to potential seasonal or long term renters. We've never been turned away with our 2001 Class A for stays up to two weeks. We don't seek out high end resorts though...

There is one KOA near me that age is no problem ,but by the time they get  done charging for extra vehicle ,per adult ,per kid ,and anything else they can add on ,a good rate turns into a ridiculous rate .

Don't get me started on rates on our last vacation we required a two-day Drive.... we found it cheaper just to spend the night at a hotel rather than stopping at a campground for one night... It is quicker easier and a lot cheaper especially with the free breakfast buffet and two teenage boys........ this is why boondocking has become incredibly popular Even after spending a grand on a generator they pay for themselves after about 10 nights of camping at a hundred bucks a night vs 5 bucks of gas

tell them it's 2012 Prevost and make your reservation,  and then you get there......

tell them this ol' Fleetwood is a loaner because that damn Prevost is in for service again.  :D

robertusa123 said:
Don't get me started on rates on our last vacation we required a two-day Drive.... we found it cheaper just to spend the night at a hotel rather than stopping at a campground for one night... It is quicker easier and a lot cheaper especially with the free breakfast buffet and two teenage boys........ this is why boondocking has become incredibly popular Even after spending a grand on a generator they pay for themselves after about 10 nights of camping at a hundred bucks a night vs 5 bucks of gas

$100/night?  That is an incredibly high camping rate for any kind of quick overnight stop.  Disney Wilderness RV resorts are around that price (probably well over by now) but they charge out the wazoo for everything.  ;)

Many public (state/local parks) or even small private campgrounds are easily located for $20-30/night.  Or for during-trip overnighters if you don't need hookups, there's always the free Walmart / Cracker Barrel / Cabela's type of parking lots.  Cabela's and some truck stops even offer free dump stations.

robertusa123 said:

Our winter stay in Florida averages out to about $25/night. It would be less than that if we stayed in one place the entire time, but we like to move around from time to time.

I live in the northern east  corridor.  They don't call it the wealth belt for nothing.    It's not unusual to see full hook up prices in the 65 to 85 range.    State parks.  25 to 50 a night..  ...... But my 100$ a night stop also figger in the price of breakfast.    My 14 year old ate 5 waffles and at least 15 links of sausages that morning.  Camp fee plus food  easy 100$ of not more.  Plus. I didn't haft to set up and take down.    We cooked dinner at a rest stop so no restaurant cost on road trip.  Although I think some of our fellow road travelers that we where nuts when they walked by the picnic are to see a full diner later out.  We gave the left over to a couple of truck drivers that where nice enough to show off their truck to the boys.   

We stayed a one CG that looked pretty good on their web site and were very nice when we called. Our MH is over 10 but was not back then. Wish they had that rule though. There were a few really creepy looking campers there. Turned out OK everyone was friendly and after the initial shock we calmed down.

I would not have any problem sending photos if a CG wanted them. I think most would allow any camper that didn't look really bad. If they are so snobby they don't want any over 10 I don't think I want to stay there anyway.

I know the OP was joking about discrimination but it comes down to it's a private enterprise so they make the rules. I read another thread that the person claimed they were discriminated against because they couldn't go to an over 55 park. It's a private enterprise and besides why would you want to go somewhere you weren't wanted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom